Help with noise

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Is it the chirping that I hear? Do you feel a vibration?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
No chirping. Sounds like metal rattling. Gets really bad at the very end. I feel the vibration throughout the Jeep

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wjtstudios

Hooked
Is it coming from the front? What front drive shaft do you have? Try pulling that to see if the sound goes away.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Is it coming from the front? What front drive shaft do you have? Try pulling that to see if the sound goes away.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
I may do that. It's definitely coming from the front and I almost thought it was the ujoints maybe. I know my ball joints are going bad but didn't think it would make that kind of sound so I don't think that's it. I have an Adam's driveshaft in the front. Came with the Jeep and it definitely shows some wear.

wjtstudios

Hooked
When my front went, it made all kinds of awful noises and vibrations at lower speeds and it was an Adams. It was a couple hundred to have it rebuilt with a greaseable joint and it’s been quiet ever since.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
When my front went, it made all kinds of awful noises and vibrations at lower speeds and it was an Adams. It was a couple hundred to have it rebuilt with a greaseable joint and it’s been quiet ever since.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
Is that basically just replacing the u joints? It has a greasable now but I bet it's been neglected. How do I tell if its a 1310 or 1350?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Is that basically just replacing the u joints? It has a greasable now but I bet it's been neglected. How do I tell if its a 1310 or 1350?

Current u joint. I'm guessing it's 1310 20200616_212912.jpg

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
The cap measures 1 1/8 which looks like the 1330 big cap. I don't even see Adam's selling that size driveshaft. I'm assuming only one size u joint will fit a specified driveshaft? Would a 1310 fit with a 1/16 difference?

MericaMade

The cap measures 1 1/8 which looks like the 1330 big cap. I don't even see Adam's selling that size driveshaft. I'm assuming only one size u joint will fit a specified driveshaft? Would a 1310 fit with a 1/16 difference?

Any chance there is a part# on the shaft. I just had my Adams serviced twice now and I want to say there was some type of stamping on it for size or part reference.

nbunga

Caught the Bug

Did you take the snap ring out to make sure that the actual cap is measuring 1 1/8 and not the yoke having a step in the bore

I think most yokes are only machined to size past the snap ring groove.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Any chance there is a part# on the shaft. I just had my Adams serviced twice now and I want to say there was some type of stamping on it for size or part reference.
I found this on the yoke but nothing on the shaft unless it's behind the sticker. No part number I can find on their site. Am I measuring right 20200617_184936.jpg 20200617_184755.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Noise was definitely the shaft. No noise after removal.

Great! Glad you were able locate it. That’s a much easier fix than something else in the drive line going bad.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

........Am I measuring right View attachment 349063 View attachment 349064

In theory and location, yes, but by method, no.

There is too much slop in the end of a tape like that to be accurate.

Start on one side with the 1" mark, then see where the other side ends up. You can line up the lines much more accurately.

The best way is with a set of calipers, but it looks like you don't have one.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
In theory and location, yes, but by method, no.

There is too much slop in the end of a tape like that to be accurate.

Start on one side with the 1" mark, then see where the other side ends up. You can line up the lines much more accurately.

The best way is with a set of calipers, but it looks like you don't have one.
Thank you. I forgot I had one lying around, never think to use it. 20200617_224041.jpg

Top Bottom