Hardtop Sound Insulation

AdamLo

Alright guys,

I am looking at purchasing a JL soon after years of saving (I am also aware of the chip shortage and vehicle shortage and know that it has inflated prices. I'm willing to wait it out) . Yes, I am very familiar with Wranglers and understand that a noisy cabin is just part of the fun.

However, that being said, my wife does not love that they are noisy inside even though it doesn't bother me.

1) Are the headliners even worth it, or is the difference only minimal?

2) Do you have an suggestions for helping reduce road noise?

Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
Alright guys,

I am looking at purchasing a JL soon after years of saving (I am also aware of the chip shortage and vehicle shortage and know that it has inflated prices. I'm willing to wait it out) . Yes, I am very familiar with Wranglers and understand that a noisy cabin is just part of the fun.

However, that being said, my wife does not love that they are noisy inside even though it doesn't bother me.

Thanks!
Have you driven a JL yet? Much quieter than the JK imo.

AdamLo

Have you driven a JL yet? Much quieter than the JK imo.
Yes I have, and yes they are. My wife's daily driver is a Subaru Forester. Although I have no intention or expectation to make it anywhere close to as quite as her vehicle, if I can make her more comfortable in the jeep, then it's a win.

As the sang goes, Happy Wife Happy Life, lol.

JT@623

Hooked
Hot Heads is what I run in my JK a friend bought them for his JL and it’s quieter and cooler. They will actually answer your calls and emails if you have questions. Overall very happy with the product and service.

AdamLo

Hot Heads is what I run in my JK a friend bought them for his JL and it’s quieter and cooler. They will actually answer your calls and emails if you have questions. Overall very happy with the product and service.
Thanks! i will look into that.

JT@623

Hooked
This helped the JK I’m sure it would help the JL as well

Attachments

• C7126EF0-9C88-4B31-B7B0-BEDAB5F43371.jpeg
    C7126EF0-9C88-4B31-B7B0-BEDAB5F43371.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 20

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This helped the JK I’m sure it would help the JL as well
I agree. This is where I would start. I had the hot heads in my silver Jeep and we have them in the stock Jeep. I think they are snake oil. It’s a piece of carpet. The dynamat is worth it though for heat and for noise.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I did the same kill mat on mine after I put the pre axle dump exhaust on it. It did help a bit on that as well as the heat coming up from the floor.

JT@623

Hooked
How does this fair when there’s 30 gallons of water in the jeep? I’ve definitely used my drain plugs a couple times so curious how this holds up to water.
I’m in Arizona so not a lot of water but the drains are still there this stuff is foil backed rubber I would imagine it would hold up well.

wjtstudios

Hooked
How does this fair when there’s 30 gallons of water in the jeep? I’ve definitely used my drain plugs a couple times so curious how this holds up to water.
That’s been my concern as well, getting water between the mat and the body, but I’ve never had any water inside of the Jeep so it’s been fine. If you regularly do get the inside of the Jeep wet, I wouldn’t do it

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’m in Arizona so not a lot of water but the drains are still there this stuff is foil backed rubber I would imagine it would hold up well.
That’s been my concern as well, getting water between the mat and the body, but I’ve never had any water inside of the Jeep so it’s been fine. If you regularly do get the inside of the Jeep wet, I wouldn’t do it
That shot is sticky as fawk. No way water is getting under it if it’s stuck all the way down

Alright guys,

Thanks!
I have the Mopar headliners in my JL. I don't know how much sound deadening they provide since I installed them immediately. I expect that they help with heat.

What I notice is that the amount of noise is heavily dependent on speed. Up to 65 is ok. It is much louder at 75 or 80, and especially if it is windy outside. Most noise seems to come from the windshield/door transition point.

If this is not ok, then get in line for a Broco. 😀

Top Bottom