Gazelle Tent Trick to Fit in the Jeep Easier

TrailHunter

Hooked
This is specifically in regards to the T3X tent... but I'm sure this will work with the other models as well. The T3X when folded up is about 58" long... This makes it very hard to get it into the rear cargo area and impossible to put it on the back seat. I have been opening the back door, pulling the back seat forward, then sliding it in between the roll bar and the back seat.. just fitting between the hardtop.. Sort of a Pain in the Ass.

I thought, if I could just make it a bit shorter.... I did some experimenting.. and discovered you can make it shorter. Simply remove the Top Pole section from the tent before folding it up. It only adds about 1 min to your setup and take down time... But it makes folding it up a bit easier, tighter... and shortens the closed length from 58" to 54". That 4" gain allows me to keep it on the back seat or floor... and get it into the rear cargo area A LOT easier. Just throw the pole section into the bag and you are good to go.

If someone has a T4, I'm curious what the closed dimension would be.

T3X shown
A532790C-B30E-42B6-9458-192FE569BCDD.jpeg

TrailHunter

Hooked
Those look like nice tents, but damn that takes up a lot of Real estate in the Jeep!
It's a great Tent... So Fast... Awesome for solo trips... but with the whole family I'm not sure. I think it's going to be hard to fit with everything else in the Jeep. 54" is still long. I was actually thinking of setting up a ROAM box on the Roof for it, but it's even to long for that. But now that I can get it through the back of the Jeep much easier, I may give it a try on the next trip out with the fam.

black pearl

Hooked
It's a great Tent... So Fast... Awesome for solo trips... but with the whole family I'm not sure. I think it's going to be hard to fit with everything else in the Jeep. 54" is still long. I was actually thinking of setting up a ROAM box on the Roof for it, but it's even to long for that. But now that I can get it through the back of the Jeep much easier, I may give it a try on the next trip out with the fam.
I had to build a trailer for my tent 🤣.
hopefully you find a good system, to take it on family trips.

G4WD

This is specifically in regards to the T3X tent... but I'm sure this will work with the other models as well. The T3X when folded up is about 58" long... This makes it very hard to get it into the rear cargo area and impossible to put it on the back seat. I have been opening the back door, pulling the back seat forward, then sliding it in between the roll bar and the back seat.. just fitting between the hardtop.. Sort of a Pain in the Ass.

I thought, if I could just make it a bit shorter.... I did some experimenting.. and discovered you can make it shorter. Simply remove the Top Pole section from the tent before folding it up. It only adds about 1 min to your setup and take down time... But it makes folding it up a bit easier, tighter... and shortens the closed length from 58" to 54". That 4" gain allows me to keep it on the back seat or floor... and get it into the rear cargo area A LOT easier. Just throw the pole section into the bag and you are good to go.

If someone has a T4, I'm curious what the closed dimension would be.

T3X shown
View attachment 374673
Trailhunter

I have been looking read hard at T3x for solo missions, but it has to go sideways across the seats and I don’t think it would fit. I had all but ruled it out hen I just came across this post - you may have made my day!

What does this look like inside? What holds the top pole section in place? Is it sewn in the top of the tent? Poles in sleeves? Clips in? What does it take to remove the top section? Just collapse the top section in and then pull the poles? Do the sides kind stand up on their own so you can work with the top poles section? I was looking for other tent options but if this is still an easy / quick setup, I may still order one…..

other than the storage length and pole removal, good tent? If you had to do it again, is this still the one you’d get?

thank you in advance for your insight - much appreciated!
Greg

TrailHunter

Hooked
Trailhunter

I have been looking read hard at T3x for solo missions, but it has to go sideways across the seats and I don’t think it would fit. I had all but ruled it out hen I just came across this post - you may have made my day!

What does this look like inside? What holds the top pole section in place? Is it sewn in the top of the tent? Poles in sleeves? Clips in? What does it take to remove the top section? Just collapse the top section in and then pull the poles? Do the sides kind stand up on their own so you can work with the top poles section? I was looking for other tent options but if this is still an easy / quick setup, I may still order one…..

other than the storage length and pole removal, good tent? If you had to do it again, is this still the one you’d get?

thank you in advance for your insight - much appreciated!
Greg
Welcome to Wayalife

It's a great Solo Tent... and yes I would buy it again. The top poles come off in a minute. The ends are in sleeves and the top of the tent hangs from the center... I just un tied that as its not really needed. Once you pop all the sides out, lay the top pole section on the tent, slip the ends into the sleeves, then go inside and push it up like normal... then put the fly on.

My jeep is a JK so dbl check your measurement in the back seat. The tent is 58" normal, and 54" if you remove the top poles. Also when it's 58" I can open the rear door, pull the passenger seat forward and slip it behind the rear seats into the cargo area... At 54" I can get it into the cargo area from the back of the Jeep easy. Hope that helps.

G4WD

Welcome to Wayalife

It's a great Solo Tent... and yes I would buy it again. The top poles come off in a minute. The ends are in sleeves and the top of the tent hangs from the center... I just un tied that as its not really needed. Once you pop all the sides out, lay the top pole section on the tent, slip the ends into the sleeves, then go inside and push it up like normal... then put the fly on.

My jeep is a JK so dbl check your measurement in the back seat. The tent is 58" normal, and 54" if you remove the top poles. Also when it's 58" I can open the rear door, pull the passenger seat forward and slip it behind the rear seats into the cargo area... At 54" I can get it into the cargo area from the back of the Jeep easy. Hope that helps.
Thanks T. I will verify the dimensions again. 58-60 was a no-go but 54 may work. Glad to hear you like it.
Have fun !!

Top Bottom