Freedom Panel Fade

My JK has developed some sort of fading or oxidation along the outer edge of both panels. It almost looks as if the paint is being lifted off from underneath and then fading as well, but only in this general area. This because I grab it right there to remove the panels? Common JK thing? The rest of the top is still in great shape, so in certain lightings this area looks butt ugly compared to the rest of it! Any possible remedies? Pretty odd. The affected area doesn't grow but again, increasingly worsens.
PSX_20230502_224234.jpg
PSX_20230502_224309.jpg

duktrx

I have a 2009 and don't have anything like that. Maybe the SoCal sun is too intense.🤷‍♂️

I found this when I was looking to do some touch-up, decided to skip it.

Mopar 68060406AA Hard Top Touch Up Paint 5 oz Spray Can in Black

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that sucks. Can't say that I've seen that on any of my Jeep's but then, I keep all of them garaged. Could just be an out in the sun too much kind of thing.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a 2009 and don't have anything like that. Maybe the SoCal sun is too intense.🤷‍♂️

I found this when I was looking to do some touch-up, decided to skip it.

Mopar 68060406AA Hard Top Touch Up Paint 5 oz Spray Can in Black
I've tried Mopar spray paint, wasted more than 1/2 the can because the spray nozzle was shit, it kept clogging and spraying splatter.

theautopaintdepot.com not cheap but I didn't waste any from clogging or have a bad spray nozzle

duktrx

I've tried Mopar spray paint, wasted more than 1/2 the can because the spray nozzle was shit, it kept clogging and spraying splatter.

theautopaintdepot.com not cheap but I didn't waste any from clogging or have a bad spray nozzle
Thanks for the heads-up; it looks like they have hard top color too.

Well that sucks. Can't say that I've seen that on any of my Jeep's but then, I keep all of them garaged. Could just be an out in the sun too much kind of thing,.
Mine has never been garaged and held up so far.

My JK has developed some sort of fading or oxidation along the outer edge of both panels.
Do you store them in the bag that they came with? I didn't get a bag with mine; my wife made one for me with a soft interior. The bag in a buddies JK felt really stiff, so maybe it is too abrasive.🤷‍♂️

Do you store them in the bag that they came with? I didn't get a bag with mine; my wife made one for me with a soft interior. The bag in a buddies JK felt really stiff, so maybe it is too abrasive.🤷‍♂️
Yup, In the supplied bag. Don't think that's the case for me, it's really soft felt inside still. Probably going to source some factory paint and refinish the whole area.

Ok so solution:

I'm gonna buy a soft top. Probably a factory style Bestop Supertop later this year or early next. Think there's any market for 2 door JK hard tops?

If you don't have to get rid of your hard top, I personally would say to keep it. Once it's gone, it'll be really hard to get back again or at least, for a 2-door.
I'd love to keep it and will if I can, as long as I can find a place to put it. If not then I might have to, we'll see 🤷‍♂️

You can rent space from a storage facility, or there is a guy in the neighboring state of Nevada who already has three properties and might have space to store it for you. Bring good whiskey!
Probably gonna end up renting a storage unit if I keep it, I'll see if I can restore it for now and cross that bridge when I get a soft top lol.

Looks like Mopar Hard Top paint is out of stock, gonna see if I can find a match.

duktrx

Looks like Mopar Hard Top paint is out of stock, gonna see if I can find a match.
Jeeeep recommended this place; here is the link to the Jeep Hardtop color:

Jeeeep recommended this place; here is the link to the Jeep Hardtop color:

I saw that thanks, definitely pricey though.

Forgive me though I'm not very educated on automotive finishes, should I in fact actually repaint the affected area? It's faded, not necessarily stripped of its paint. Or is that the same? Should I restore it rather than repaint it? I'm just worried about it looking uneven among the rest of the hardtop's finish since just that spot will be fresh.

Top Bottom