Fox 2.0 Shock Body Backed Off

Colorado4x4

We were coming back from Moab and the San Juan’s last week and while driving 65 mph down 285 we started hearing a terrible banging sound coming from under my Jeep. I am friends with all of the sounds my Jeep makes and this was a new friend. I pulled over and found out that my new driver front Fox 2.0 shock body had unthreaded from the top shock tower piece.
908FB29D-FDBE-46DA-83A8-022CCC4B06B6.jpeg
61D61A69-77A4-405D-B212-C6F96FA53C4D.jpeg
I was happy at first that this shit wasn’t my fault and also happy that the shock didn’t knock loose or damage anything like that grey electrical connector. But pissed that I have to fool with this crap at the time, dig my tools out of the trailer, and of course it was raining out so I found a little cover at a car wash bay but still got my ass soaking wet. I looked at the threads and they were in great shape and also noticed the lack of any lock tite on the threads. I compressed the shock and threaded it back up.

I contacted Fox and got with a helpful guy. I asked him if I could just torque it up and he said that they commonly break the stem piece trying to get it to 75 ft-lbs. So, they didn’t torque it to spec most likely and definitely didn’t apply any lock tite.
2B2687CB-8D89-4DD0-AFFE-652DCB38AC99.png
I saved my old shocks in the event that I have to rebuild these some day. I suspected trickery with sending the shock back. Fox was trying to play games and say that I need to send it in for warranty work. Well my Jeep is my daily driver and instead of my removing this shock, installing my old shock, then removing my old shock and installing the new shock, I convinced Fox to send out a new shock and I will send this one back (they were very reluctant to do this). If you have these shocks it’s probably not a bad idea to keep an eye on this.

Colorado4x4

What the hell? That’s odd. And the fact that the dude admitted they don’t torque because the shaft commonly breaks is concerning.
That’s what I’m thinking. Ah, no big deal. It just comes loose every now and then on the highway the Jeep still handles the same with no shock. 😂. Oh, and I definitely couldn’t convince them to send out a new driver side shock because it didn’t unthread yet. The lot numbers are the same on them so I’m concerned about when the driver side shock unthreads. Damn it

Wow that's super weird that the shock was turning that much to unthread itself as there looks to be a good 1/4" of threads. Or maybe it was already backed out a ton during install and wasn't noticed? Will definitely be checking these now! Glad it didn't cause more damage to anything else.

Colorado4x4

Wow that's super weird that the shock was turning that much to unthread itself as there looks to be a good 1/4" of threads. Or maybe it was already backed out a ton during install and wasn't noticed? Will definitely be checking these now! Glad it didn't cause more damage to anything else.
I can’t say for sure but I believe I would have noticed it during install. This was the first off-roading trip with them for 4 days on easy bumpy trails in Moab. The thread length may even be a little longer than 1/4” and it really had a long ways to go to back itself off. The whole thing just chaps my ass a little. What would Fox say if the damn shock caused damage? I think I know the answer. I’m getting a little perturbed as I type this so I’m going to try to chill. It happens. Shit happens. How are Rancho and Bilstein and Kings designed?

Colorado4x4

Oh! The plot thickens! Here the replacement shock that Fox sent me. It’s going to take a little fab work to fit on the Jeep. Any guess as to what vehicle it is for???
998424A4-B17D-46D5-9A2F-992B88978F39.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom