Ford Superduty Engines

Bear_JT

Hooked
I’ve owned several Super Duty’s all but one were diesel. I’ve also had a few Rams all diesel. I would highly recommend going diesel either way you go. They really have better fuel mileage, and the newer ones ride quite nice. With that said, I would buy a Ram with the Cummins. My opinion is they are simply a far better and simpler built motor. The Powerstroke is nice (my father owns a 2019 Powerstroke) but the Cummins really is a far better motor and something you can still work on by yourself for the most part if you needed to. Ford has shoehorned the Powerstroke into the Super Duty so bad you’ll never want to do much work to it yourself. In the winter months the modern diesels are still reliable. If you live in a area that gets really cold, consider getting the engine block heater to help is start easier on cold mornings.

MericaMade

Careful sir... you're on a jeep site saying don't go overboard and buy IFS ....its literally what we do lmao

The only thing I truly hate about the 150s is the god damn ceramic spark plugs, who the hell needed to reinvent the wheel in a way that you fuck up so much they built special tools to get your shitty design out without having to remove a head (FOR A SPARKPLUG!! 😡 ), like seriously wtf. Otherwise, plenty of truck 🤷‍♂️
Agree, I have been really happy with my F150. After renting a 20 foot trailer and towing my Jeep with it I was surprised how nice it towed. I would not want to tow anything over 10K pounds with it but per Ford the tow rating of 12k is doable on paper.

Personally I think the new F250 ride amazing compared to GM.

I did not know that about the spark plugs, good info.

With my work, I just need a truck. A newer one because of the clients I am working with, it needs to look clean and free of body damage and oil leaks (I would hate to leave oil stains on their driveways).

I’m worried the old girl could leave me stranded in the Gallatin Canyon without cell reception.
Ah. Got it.
A newer truck would be smart.
That is a good point if you are starting up your new company. First impressions are everything and that can be as simple as the vehicle that you pull into their driveway in.
Agreed.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Agree, I have been really happy with my F150. After renting a 20 foot trailer and towing my Jeep with it I was surprised how nice it towed. I would not want to tow anything over 10K pounds with it but per Ford the tow rating of 12k is doable on paper.

Personally I think the new F250 ride amazing compared to GM.

I did not know that about the spark plugs, good info.
My dad has a ‘17 F250 and it rides very nice! I believe he has 6.2 and I haven’t heard any complaints.
I’ve owned several Super Duty’s all but one were diesel. I’ve also had a few Rams all diesel. I would highly recommend going diesel either way you go. They really have better fuel mileage, and the newer ones ride quite nice. With that said, I would buy a Ram with the Cummins. My opinion is they are simply a far better and simpler built motor. The Powerstroke is nice (my father owns a 2019 Powerstroke) but the Cummins really is a far better motor and something you can still work on by yourself for the most part if you needed to. Ford has shoehorned the Powerstroke into the Super Duty so bad you’ll never want to do much work to it yourself. In the winter months the modern diesels are still reliable. If you live in a area that gets really cold, consider getting the engine block heater to help is start easier on cold mornings.
Thanks for you input, I hate it when there is not any room to work under the hood.
Ah. Got it.
A newer truck would be smart.
Thanks for trying to save me money! Lol if I could I would have a beater commuter with great gas mileage.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I have a '17 F250 Platinum with the 6.7 PSD. I love it. I tow my 5th wheel rv with it. The only issue I had is the DPF not finishing regen cycles. When using the truck on short, local drives when not towing it would never finish a regen cycle. I had a warning a few times about having to pull over or the engine would shut off. I deleted that shit and now its the perfect truck. I tow with Firestone Ride Right 5k airbags to smooth it out. That combined with the Reese goose box on my RV eliminates all the chucking and rough ride on not so smooth roads. I get 23-24 mpg unloaded and 12-14 mpg towing a 12k lb 5th wheel rv using a 40hp tune. I love the interior on the '17+ Ford Superduty trucks, they are massive inside. My neighbor has a 7.3 Gas F250 Limited and his unloaded fuel economy is worse than my towing fuel economy with 11.5-12k lbs. The diesel option is a $10k price on a new truck though, so you have to figure out A) will you keep it long enough to offset that cost with the higher price of diesel and better diesel fuel economy, B) is the driving experience worth the price regardless of the increased purchase and operating cost. The 7.3 drives nice with the 10 speed auto trans, but the 6.7 makes over double the torque.

Attachments

• 211942118_10223620182426366_8094156257544141106_n.jpg
    211942118_10223620182426366_8094156257544141106_n.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 149519843_10222598821812989_1743240694445235846_n.jpg
    149519843_10222598821812989_1743240694445235846_n.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Bierpower

Hooked
The only issue I had is the DPF not finishing regen cycles. When using the truck on short, local drives when not towing it would never finish a regen cycle. I had a warning a few times about having to pull over or the engine would shut off. I deleted that shit and now its the perfect truck.
If you live somewhere like California this is an issue that you won't be able to "delete".

highoctane

Caught the Bug
If you live somewhere like California this is an issue that you won't be able to "delete".
That’s a fact. You’d have a whole other issue. A dpf was unobtainable when I had issues, 60- 90 day back order at the time, turning the truck into an $80k driveway ornament. I handled it myself in 3 days. Luckily I don’t live Cali.

Bierpower

Hooked
That’s a fact. You’d have a whole other issue. A dpf was unobtainable when I had issues, 60- 90 day back order at the time, turning the truck into an $80k driveway ornament. I handled it myself. Luckily I don’t live Cali.
I figured. Just some food for thought for folks that live in the emissions testing hell.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I have a '17 F250 Platinum with the 6.7 PSD. I love it. I tow my 5th wheel rv with it. The only issue I had is the DPF not finishing regen cycles. When using the truck on short, local drives when not towing it would never finish a regen cycle. I had a warning a few times about having to pull over or the engine would shut off. I deleted that shit and now its the perfect truck. I tow with Firestone Ride Right 5k airbags to smooth it out. That combined with the Reese goose box on my RV eliminates all the chucking and rough ride on not so smooth roads. I get 23-24 mpg unloaded and 12-14 mpg towing a 12k lb 5th wheel rv using a 40hp tune. I love the interior on the '17+ Ford Superduty trucks, they are massive inside. My neighbor has a 7.3 Gas F250 Limited and his unloaded fuel economy is worse than my towing fuel economy with 11.5-12k lbs. The diesel option is a $10k price on a new truck though, so you have to figure out A) will you keep it long enough to offset that cost with the higher price of diesel and better diesel fuel economy, B) is the driving experience worth the price regardless of the increased purchase and operating cost. The 7.3 drives nice with the 10 speed auto trans, but the 6.7 makes over double the torque.
Those interiors are very nice! I’ve always dreamed of having a King Ranch interior. Is the 23-24 mpg because of the tune?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Those interiors are very nice! I’ve always dreamed of having a King Ranch interior. Is the 23-24 mpg because of the tune?
Yes the tune helps, also the significantly less restrictive exhaust. I should mention that’s with the cruise set at 70mph. I don’t drive too fast on the highway. I gained 2-3 mpg all around compared to stock.

MericaMade

Yeah, the emmision sucks in CA (but so does the state)but truck still deliveres great power, torque, and MPG. I really love the leg room and cab configurations and rear locker options.

JT@623

Hooked
The one thing to keep in mind with the new diesels you need to work them they aren’t made for grocery getters. they need to work under load and on boost for the DPF systems to work .

jesse3638

Hooked
You can if you know a guy...haha. It's just a visual and as long as he "see's" it you're good to go...haha.

I've also heard of guys hanging onto the stock exhaust and swapping it back over to do the smog inspection.

Actually I thought DPF was a federal EPA thing and technically deleting it makes your truck illegal? I'd do the same thing though not living in CA. A coworker's brother did it to his RAM and the truck is even more efficient than stock.

JT@623

Hooked
You can if you know a guy...haha. It's just a visual and as long as he "see's" it you're good to go...haha.

I've also heard of guys hanging onto the stock exhaust and swapping it back over to do the smog inspection.

Actually I thought DPF was a federal EPA thing and technically deleting it makes your truck illegal? I'd do the same thing though not living in CA. A coworker's brother did it to his RAM and the truck is even more efficient than stock.
Problem now is finding tuners in the U.S the EPA has put most if not all out of business.

desertrunner

After a few months of our truck shopping for a 3/4 ton we decided to order a gas motor over the diesel just baseed on the way we are going to drive it and how much we tow. With that said one of my work buddies put 120k miles on his F250 6.2L towing a horse trailer and camper and he has had no issues with it. We test drove a few and i will say the Ford was the least comfortable ride of them between the ram and the GM. The 7.3L was nice on the test drive though, it does seem like ALOT of displacement for the power it makes though idk just my thought. Everything has pros and cons but honestly i think the biggest issue you are going to have right now its finding one. Even after deciding to go with the GM i was told 8 weeks and 1 month in i still dont have a build date. Ford told me maybe next summer but who knows and the few they do have are priced well above what i wanted to pay and they wont budge. Even the CPO market is insane with trucks that have 30k on them selling for over new prices. Id love to know what you end up with though because im still without a truck 4 months in to shopping.

Jsouder53

Hooked
After a few months of our truck shopping for a 3/4 ton we decided to order a gas motor over the diesel just baseed on the way we are going to drive it and how much we tow. With that said one of my work buddies put 120k miles on his F250 6.2L towing a horse trailer and camper and he has had no issues with it. We test drove a few and i will say the Ford was the least comfortable ride of them between the ram and the GM. The 7.3L was nice on the test drive though, it does seem like ALOT of displacement for the power it makes though idk just my thought. Everything has pros and cons but honestly i think the biggest issue you are going to have right now its finding one. Even after deciding to go with the GM i was told 8 weeks and 1 month in i still dont have a build date. Ford told me maybe next summer but who knows and the few they do have are priced well above what i wanted to pay and they wont budge. Even the CPO market is insane with trucks that have 30k on them selling for over new prices. Id love to know what you end up with though because im still without a truck 4 months in to shopping.
Thanks for your input! This purchase will be made sometime this coming spring/summer. Hopefully by then the prices might come down and trucks are easier to come by.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Ended up putting a deposit on a new F150 Lariat, it’s still in production but it’s what the dealership had on order. The engine is a 3.5L power boost full hybrid. I like the gas mileage and the IFS like overlander mentioned. It should be here in a month or 2!

Attachments

• 54F0A55D-D1E6-4063-9DEA-C002280A69A9.jpeg
    54F0A55D-D1E6-4063-9DEA-C002280A69A9.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom