FLEX TEST : Will 37's Clear a JL Rubicon running 2.5" of Lift & Without Rubbing??

Geronimo

FLEX TEST 2 : Did the Fender Liner Fix Work?
The following morning, Cindy and I headed back down the street to see if my fender liner fix did the trick. As you can see here, we worked our way up the same obstacle and if anything, went high enough to hang a tire.
[Please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

Outstanding and very helpful information. Our JLUR is on order and I'm convinced this is the wheel tire combo for us. We have gone through two sets of STT Pro's and that's a no brainer. Fantastic Tires (ours were 35 x 12.50 x 15s.

My Question for you is (and I also watched your video when you mounted them) What about balancing this set-up. Did you computer balance, and if so how difficult was it? Thanks in advance.

EDIT Also how did the gearing feel with the 37s, I had 356s with our JKUR and it was perfect. Auto transmission in both cases here....

Last edited:

RockingK

Amazing

You guys are amazing:thumb: to capture before and after in the same day, making minimal effective changes speaks volumes of how the JL is ready for 37’s and the stance is perfect. How did the 410’s work?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe no rubbing with a 3" lift. Even with the 2.5" lift the rubbing is minor and easily remedied. When my JL arrives I am going with the 2.5 or 3" spacer lift and 37" tires, just need to decide on tires and wheels. thanks for the pictures, really helps to see what is really going on with the suspension.

Maybe no rubbing with a different 37. These Coopers measure on the tall side for a 37. If you were to run something like a BFG and on the same back spacing, you might clear altogether. :yup:

Great write up! Great explanation of your tweaks and adjustments.

Thanks, glad to hear this post was informative :)

That’s pretty great, that with that little modification, you can wheel 37’s!

Awesome, isn't it? :thumb:

Looking great! Loving the documented progress.

Glad to hear it :)

I was just explaining to my wife this morning that there were many improvements to the JL compared to the JK. I have been without a Jeep for going on fifteen months now and really getting the itch to get another one. A JL sounds like the ticket now. I have been wondering what it would take to get a JL to ride as good as my JK with the enforcer with EVO spec. Kings.

You need to test drive one. I think you'd be sold.

Great write up! Really not to much modification required to clear those 37s in the grand scheme of things.

Gotta love how a budget boost would of had you running on 35's on the JK and now 37's on a JL :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been following this build closely. I just ordered mine so I have a bit of a wait. Meanwhile you are really making me drool.

LOL!! Hope the drool isn't too unsightly :crazyeyes:

Looks awesome! I love watching JET Li grow up [emoji106]

Thanks and glad to hear it :)

Outstanding and very helpful information. Our JLUR is on order and I'm convinced this is the wheel tire combo for us. We have gone through two sets of STT Pro's and that's a no brainer. Fantastic Tires (ours were 35 x 12.50 x 15s.

My Question for you is (and I also watched your video when you mounted them) What about balancing this set-up. Did you computer balance, and if so how difficult was it? Thanks in advance.

EDIT Also how did the gearing feel with the 37s, I had 356s with our JKUR and it was perfect. Auto transmission in both cases here....

Not all tires require balancing and so far, the ones that I just installed don't seem to need it. If in the future they start to feel out of round, I'll have my local Costco balance them with tape on weights.

Regarding gears, our Rubicon came with 4.10's. Paired with the new 8-speed auto, I haven't felt much of a power loss. When gears become available, I may or may not upgrade.

You guys are amazing:thumb: to capture before and after in the same day, making minimal effective changes speaks volumes of how the JL is ready for 37’s and the stance is perfect. How did the 410’s work?

Honestly, so far so good. I'll need to do a lot more driving to know for sure but so far, the new 8-speed auto is doing a great job of pushing them along.

Rocralr

Way to go. I like the JL but I love my JKU and have way too much money in it to sell and start over. Good luck and keep up the good work.

17xJKU

I just ordered so much stuff for my JKU, but now I want a LJU. Seems like everything I'm buying for my JK comes stock on the Rubi JL. Maybe I'll get one next year and use it for my daily. So jealous.

Weeeee

Great job on the write up and pics! Like others have said, it makes me want to get a JL now... must resist... It will be great to see how this evolves and how the stock components withstand the beatings you will give it.

Although I think you made an error or were joking by calling it a "budget boost", I am interested in seeing someone just run 35's on a stock JL no lift and see how it handles.

Thanks again for making us jealous!

Andy5160

Hooked
Well done as always!!!!! Over all how does it feel on 37's? Also were there any lights or electronics acting up after the lift went in?

aggrex

Way to go to make them 37s compatible on a JL with a small lift. Something always have to give and massaging the inner fenders worked out great.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Way to go. I like the JL but I love my JKU and have way too much money in it to sell and start over. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Oh, there really is no need to get a JL over a nicely built JKU. Be happy with what you've got and use it. :thumb:

Looks great [emoji1360] keep the vids/pictures coming.

Thanks and you know we will :cool:

I just ordered so much stuff for my JKU, but now I want a LJU. Seems like everything I'm buying for my JK comes stock on the Rubi JL. Maybe I'll get one next year and use it for my daily. So jealous.

LOL!! Have fun with what you've got. The JL will be around for a while.

Looks great! It'll be interesting to see how the stock axles and diff locks hold up while running 37s.

Well, we'll find out and let you know :crazyeyes:

Always informative, answers a lot of questions! Thx

Glad to hear it, thanks :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great job on the write up and pics! Like others have said, it makes me want to get a JL now... must resist... It will be great to see how this evolves and how the stock components withstand the beatings you will give it.

Although I think you made an error or were joking by calling it a "budget boost", I am interested in seeing someone just run 35's on a stock JL no lift and see how it handles.

Thanks again for making us jealous!

LOL!! With all that we got, it is a stretch to call it a "budget" but it was just a "boost". Without the control arms, it is closer to being affordable. :cool:

Well done as always!!!!! Over all how does it feel on 37's? Also were there any lights or electronics acting up after the lift went in?

No lights, no problems. Suspension and handling feels the same. Going from AT's to MT's is noticeable in terms of lug thumping and the load range E of them is certainly noticeable as well but then, none of this is a surprise to us.

Way to go to make them 37s compatible on a JL with a small lift. Something always have to give and massaging the inner fenders worked out great.

Thanks. Always nice to know you can make something like this work with as little lift as possible. :yup:

Love the detailed photos of the clearance issues. Great stuff. I was wondering about the JL driveshafts. I have an issue on my JK where the front shaft rubs on the cross member at full droop. I was wondering if the JL will need new driveshafts in your configuration. Have you had time to check how they look?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for letting us binge all your hard work. 3 uploads at once? Yeah! Can wait for the tailgate update.

LOL!! Been crazy busy. The snow hasn't helped either :crazyeyes:
Just got my brackets back from power coat. Tailgate info coming soon.

Love the detailed photos of the clearance issues. Great stuff. I was wondering about the JL driveshafts. I have an issue on my JK where the front shaft rubs on the cross member at full droop. I was wondering if the JL will need new driveshafts in your configuration. Have you had time to check how they look?

The exhaust cross over has been redesigned and transmission skid bar moved out of the way to no longer be a problem with the front drive shaft. At least, they won't cause the slip shaft boot to tear. That being said, a 3" lift or more will still put the output shaft CV boot in a constant state of pinch. This WILL fail sooner than later.

Top Bottom