Fishing Jeepers...Post Up Your Pics

No where near a keeper..... On the up side, they’re at least getting bigger every time I go out... I learned that More weight the easier with the baitcast, only one backlash today woo
IMG_0744.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

black pearl

Hooked
No where near a keeper..... On the up side, they’re at least getting bigger every time I go out... I learned that More weight the easier with the baitcast, only one backlash today woo
View attachment 302933

Better then I've done the last few times I've gone out. You'll learn the thumb dance with the bait caster. Once I got that, I feel in love with that style of reel.

WJCO

Meme King
For all those who fly fish, what is the start up price for the necessary gear? What brand should I look into for a rod & reel?

Fly fishing can be expensive for quality gear. When I started years ago, I got a complete beginners kit and still actually have it. Prices have changed, but Cabela's likely has kits where you can probably get everything for under 200 bucks. It will be of lower quality but will probably work just fine. The reason I would recommend going this way is in case you don't like it. I've known some people that got frustrated with it or just found that it wasn't for them so they gave up. There's a lot to learn about it too in regards to flies and seasons, casting tips depending on geography around you, etc. Nowadays with YouTube, I imagine there are countless tips and tricks videos out there. Just my opinion on it. I've been doing it on and off for about 20 years.

Brute

Hooked
Fly fishing can be expensive for quality gear. When I started years ago, I got a complete beginners kit and still actually have it. Prices have changed, but Cabela's likely has kits where you can probably get everything for under 200 bucks. It will be of lower quality but will probably work just fine. The reason I would recommend going this way is in case you don't like it. I've known some people that got frustrated with it or just found that it wasn't for them so they gave up. There's a lot to learn about it too in regards to flies and seasons, casting tips depending on geography around you, etc. Nowadays with YouTube, I imagine there are countless tips and tricks videos out there. Just my opinion on it. I've been doing it on and off for about 20 years.

Roger that on Cabela's...consider a 5 or 6 wt medium/fast flex rod for all around trout fishing with drys and nymphs...check out the Orvis you tube series on fly fishing for tips on casting, rigging etc...be patient, it's definitely not as easy as slinging a spinning rod & reel

Jsouder53

Hooked

Thanks for the advise. I’ve been fly fishing a few times and have enjoyed it. Are there any brands you suggest? I’m looking to spend money on decent gear, but not trying to break the bank.

Thanks for the advise. I’ve been fly fishing a few times and have enjoyed it. Are there any brands you suggest? I’m looking to spend money on decent gear, but not trying to break the bank.

It’s tough. Personal preference and what your willing to spend will get all sorts of answers.
I would stay away from the real cheap stuff. If you start to get into it it will only bum you out that you didn’t just buy something nicer. The great thing now is that some lower priced stuff is really closing the gap with the top dollar rods.

Trout only? 5 or 6 weight like Brute mentioned.
If you want to fish for bass or monster trout and steelhead an 8 weight is a great.

In my quiver is one 4 weight (my go to for small creeks and high elevation lakes). One 5 weight all arounder trout set up more of a back up rod.
Two 8 weights. I use these all the time. I fish in the surf a lot for striped bass and use them for bass and stealhead as well.

I like single handers. Spey and Switch rods are pretty much spreading like the plague. lol
I just haven’t gone down that rabbit hole yet and maybe you could look into that. Everyone loves it. Same with Tenkara.

Just realized I didn’t answer your question but I have a hard time recommending this stuff. I can tell you what I like and use....Orvis, Scott and Blue Halo for rods. Abel, Tibor, Orvis, Hatch for reels. Orvis superstrong plus leaders and tippet. Rio fly lines. Again. Just what works for me and what I like.
Best thing you can do is walk into a fly shop and pick brains.
And you are warned. Fly fishing can/will consume you.

TrailHunter

Hooked
......And you are warned. Fly fishing can/will consume you.

I really want to start Fly Fishing as well ..... but this ^^^^^ lol

BlackPearl had suggested a retracting Fly Rod starter kit that would be perfect to throw in the Jeep.... But I’m scared because I know me.... it could get expensive and I’ll get all “A River Runs Through It” n’ shit. [emoji51]

black pearl

Hooked

BlackPearl had suggested a retracting Fly Rod starter kit that would be perfect to throw in the Jeep.... But I’m scared because I know me.... it could get expensive and I’ll get all “A River Runs Through It” n’ shit. [emoji51]

The rod is still holding up well also. I've used it a hand full of times in the last few months and has lived in the jeep the whole time. Not to bad for a cheap four piece rod.

Brute

Hooked
It’s tough. Personal preference and what your willing to spend will get all sorts of answers.
I would stay away from the real cheap stuff. If you start to get into it it will only bum you out that you didn’t just buy something nicer. The great thing now is that some lower priced stuff is really closing the gap with the top dollar rods.

Trout only? 5 or 6 weight like Brute mentioned.
If you want to fish for bass or monster trout and steelhead an 8 weight is a great.

In my quiver is one 4 weight (my go to for small creeks and high elevation lakes). One 5 weight all arounder trout set up more of a back up rod.
Two 8 weights. I use these all the time. I fish in the surf a lot for striped bass and use them for bass and stealhead as well.

I like single handers. Spey and Switch rods are pretty much spreading like the plague. lol
I just haven’t gone down that rabbit hole yet and maybe you could look into that. Everyone loves it. Same with Tenkara.

Just realized I didn’t answer your question but I have a hard time recommending this stuff. I can tell you what I like and use....Orvis, Scott and Blue Halo for rods. Abel, Tibor, Orvis, Hatch for reels. Orvis superstrong plus leaders and tippet. Rio fly lines. Again. Just what works for me and what I like.
Best thing you can do is walk into a fly shop and pick brains.
And you are warned. Fly fishing can/will consume you.

It's worse than crack...I've just gotten back into it, and I have a 5wt Sage rod with a Lamson Litespeed Micra 5 reel; I just picked up a Lamson Center Axis 6wt rod/reel combo with Rio sink tip line to throw wooly buggers and streamers for Iceland...I intend to eventually get a 4wt for small stream trout, and a 7wt for poppers and larger streamers for smallmouth bass and steelhead...not to mention waders & boots, sling bag for gear, net, copious amounts of drys, nymphs, streamers, fly boxes, leaders, tippets, strike indicators, split shot, forceps, nippers...blah blah ginger...

TrailHunter

Hooked
It's worse than crack...I've just gotten back into it, and I have a 5wt Sage rod with a Lamson Litespeed Micra 5 reel; I just picked up a Lamson Center Axis 6wt rod/reel combo with Rio sink tip line to throw wooly buggers and streamers for Iceland...I intend to eventually get a 4wt for small stream trout, and a 7wt for poppers and larger streamers for smallmouth bass and steelhead...not to mention waders & boots, sling bag for gear, net, copious amounts of drys, nymphs, streamers, fly boxes, leaders, tippets, strike indicators, split shot, forceps, nippers...blah blah ginger...

Not exactly sure what all that means.... but you had me at Nymphs & Nippers. I’m in.

TrailHunter

Hooked
The rod is still holding up well also. I've used it a hand full of times in the last few months and has lived in the jeep the whole time. Not to bad for a cheap four piece rod.

Nice... I gotta find that link again. I learned last trip... gotta be able to break the rod down Quick & Easy when Jeepin around & Fishin.

Top Bottom