Evo JL coilovers vs jk double throwdown?

Gecko13

I had a jk with Evo high clearance long arm and dtd suspension and I can honestly say I didn’t like it at all. Pretty complicated system that involves a lot of tuning and the rear had a ton of rear steer. How does the JL Evo high clearance long arm/coilovers suspension compare to the jk dtd? Obviously you don’t have the bypasses to mess with but in terms of travel and are they comparable? Does the JL have as much rear steer as the jk?

Gecko13

I should mention the Jeep will be mainly used as a rock crawler in CO/moab and not much high speed Baja like stuff they the dtd is made for

If you’re not gonna use it high speed in the desert why even spend all that money on it? DTD and bolt on coilovers ride real soft on the Highway which a lot of people don’t like. I personally like the way they ride. Why not just go with a good coil and shock lift with a good set of adjustable shocks and save some money. They will do just as good on the rocks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree with 2013rubirick. The ONLY reason why I run DTD's or coilovers in general is because I like to drive really fast and hard across the desert. Sure, you get more travel with them but if all I ever did was rock crawl, I wouldn't waste my time or money on them. Like you said, they're complicated, require tuning AND regular maintenance which can be time consuming and costly and they're way more expensive right out of the box. In spite of what so many people seem to think these days, there were tons of us who took on hard trails just fine before they became a thing.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
if all I ever did was rock crawl, I wouldn't waste my time or money on them. Like you said, they're complicated, require tuning AND regular maintenance which can be time consuming and costly and they're way more expensive right out of the box.
this^^^ is why I will never run coilovers again unless I move west and plan on hauling ass thru the desert

Gecko13

I have to agree with 2013rubirick. The ONLY reason why I run DTD's or coilovers in general is because I like to drive really fast and hard across the desert. Sure, you get more travel with them but if all I ever did was rock crawl, I wouldn't waste my time or money on them. Like you said, they're complicated, require tuning AND regular maintenance which can be time consuming and costly and they're way more expensive right out of the box. In spite of what so many people seem to think these days, there were tons of us who took on hard trails just fine before they became a thing.
How about the JL? I know you had one with the evo suspension. I know the dtd is more meant for speed but how about the single coilover system? Is it similar to the jk kit?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How about the JL? I know you had one with the evo suspension. I know the dtd is more meant for speed but how about the single coilover system? Is it similar to the jk kit?
First off, ALL coilovers are meant for speed. That's why they were developed for things like trophy trucks and not rock crawlers. The amount of travel you get out of them is an added benefit and that's why people started installing them on Jeeps way back in the day. That said, the DTD you were running were just coilovers with additional bypass shocks and all the things you didn't like about it would still be present on ANY coilover system you run. This would include how complicated they are, how much tuning they need to get them to where you like, how noisy they can be, how much maintenance they require and while I never feel the kind of "ton of rear steer" you say you felt, that's all caused by the amount of travel they provide and while still running a track bar. The DTD only has 12" of vertical travel and the JL kit has 15". As in, whatever you were feeling before will most likely be even more pronouced.

That said, I personally HATED the JK coilover kit. It is the reason why we upgraded to DTD on Rubicat. However, I really do love the JL coilover kit and would totally do it again and for how I use my Jeeps.

CalSgt

Hooked
I did the JL long travel coilover kit on my JLUR, it does flex pretty darn good and I am pleased with the quality of the long arm kit.

I do a little desert road driving and drive a 4 mile stretch of washboarded rutted gravel road several times every weekend. The current setup feels far more stable at 55+ MPH on the county road than any of the other systems I've tried. None of my other cars come close when the road is all jacked up in the winter probably 40 MPH tops.

It rides great on the freeway, and beats the shit out of me around town on potholes and asphalt cracks.

I don't think I understand what rear steer is so I cant weigh in on that.

Top Bottom