Electrician Help

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not jeep related. I have four outlets in my house that are not working. I’ve tested them and nothing. Checked and reset all the breakers and nothing. The weird part is they are all in different parts of the house.

One outside rear patio, two in master bath, one is a spare bath.

And ideas what I should be looking for? No idea what it could be. I had my electric smoker plugged in last night and it quit after a few hours. My guess is that had something to do with it, just don’t know how to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
One of them is likely a GFCI. The breaker is built into the receptacle itself. Check all outside ones and bathroom and kitchen. Sometimes the outside circuit can be tied into one of those rooms near water.

Lojo

One of them is likely a GFCI. The breaker is built into the receptacle itself. Check all outside ones and bathroom and kitchen. Sometimes the outside circuit can be tied into one of those rooms near water.

Possibly tied into the garage gfci also.

jesse3638

Hooked
Yeah what these guys said. I had my Christmas lights plugged into and outside outlet on the front of the house. We had rain and one of my power strips got water into it and was tripping. I couldn't figure out what was going on. Turns out it was a GFCI in my half bath on the end of the house. I'd have never thought it was on the same circuit.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Possibly tied into the garage gfci also.

Yep. That's what happened at my first house. Took me 3 days to find it. Especially since I had put a bookshelf in front of it and forgot about it, lol. I was pressure washing the house when it tripped.

black pearl

Hooked
Yep. That's what happened at my first house. Took me 3 days to find it. Especially since I had put a bookshelf in front of it and forgot about it, lol. I was pressure washing the house when it tripped.

I find it so weird on some of the places they hide them plugs and how far away they can be.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
A have a bathroom outlet tied to a GFCI in the kitchen on the other side of the house. That’s what happens with the new mass development stucco box housing projects. The houses look great but when you start really looking at things you see how many corners are cut.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Mods please delete thread.

:clap2:

Yep. I've had the garage GFCI trip and kill the kitchen. Builders are retarded. Glad you found it. 👍

A have a bathroom outlet tied to a GFCI in the kitchen on the other side of the house. That’s what happens with the new mass development stucco box housing projects. The houses look great but when you start really looking at things you see how many corners are cut.

No shit. Obviously all city codes are different, but when I did a bathroom remodel at one of my places, I asked the electrician about that (because my garage GFCI was hooked to the master bath :crazyeyes: ). At that time, he said code allowed for any receptacle within 18 inches of water (sinks, outdoor outlets, etc), to have at least one GFCI in the circuit. So he said legally, as long as they had one somewhere (even if it wasn't close), the builders were within code. Simply amazing.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
:clap2:

No shit. Obviously all city codes are different, but when I did a bathroom remodel at one of my places, I asked the electrician about that (because my garage GFCI was hooked to the master bath :crazyeyes: ). At that time, he said code allowed for any receptacle within 18 inches of water (sinks, outdoor outlets, etc), to have at least one GFCI in the circuit. So he said legally, as long as they had one somewhere (even if it wasn't close), the builders were within code. Simply amazing.

So here’s the reason they do this, the code REQUIRES GFCI protection at those locations you mentioned. It is also required outdoors and some other locations. BUT GFCI outlets are more expensive. You can actually feed conventional outlets downstream from a GFCI (come off bottom terminals instead of just a parallel pigtail) which makes the regular outlet GFCI protected. So the builder will install one GFCI outlet and then feed the other outlets required to be GFCI protected from there. Hope that makes sense. I believe the code also states that any outlet protected by a GFCI (breaker or receptacle) should be labeled as such. But that may be a newer requirement. Bottom line is it’s a few bucks cheaper to do it this way. But when you’re building thousands of houses, it adds up.

Top Bottom