Electrical Issues

NME

Alright everyone, so I am sure some of you have noticed I have been on here asking a ton of questions. I bought the Jeep the way it is and the previous owner didn't get any information from the owner before him. So I am working on pretty limited information here. To the point, since I have gotten the Jeep, there have been some issues with the electrical system. The clock constantly shift a little bit everyday, up to a max of about 11 minutes off. My internal lights work sometimes, but other times it doesn't, the dash lights will brighten in some areas but not others, and also will flash brighter at times and then dim again. The Jeep won't unlock or lock with the key fob but does make the little alarm sound when I lock it (sometimes). Now, I was told that the previous owner replaced the wiring harness because the gear fuse kept popping and they couldn't get it to shift out of first (automatic trans). The wiring harness was burned up really bad when they pulled it, but since the replacement there hasn't been any issues shifting gears for me. They also said the TIPM was replaced but found out later that it wasn't a problem, so they replaced it for nothing I guess. So, my question, could the TIPM be for the wrong model and that's why all the issues? Or could it be something else? Has anyone had any issues like this with their Jeep and found a fix? Thanks for any insights everyone, I appreciate all of you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The TIPM is just a power module. I would imagine that your problem might reside in the wiring harness connections. Maybe they're not making good contact. Sorry, I wish I could be of help but I can't say that I've ever heard of anything like this.

NME

That’s what I’d like to know. WHY did it burn?
The previous owner said that the mechanic thought that either it was because it was flooded at one point or another with a wire exposed, but it sounds to me like they were just guessing. I haven't taken it to anyone yet as it is currently more of a QOL problem for now. I have a family friend of my dads out in Texas who has been working on Jeeps professionally for some 40 odd years who wants to take a look at it. I just thought maybe I would come here first to see if it was something I could take care of myself if anyone had any information or experience on the matter. $700 in gas for a round trip to Texas right now on top of any parts I might need to remedy the problem is a hard pill to swallow right now after almost 6k in suspension parts this past month. Well either way it doesn't seem like anyone I have contacted has had any problem like it either so I will making the trip next month after I get a new seat for the misses. She won't road trip in the Jeep if her seat won't recline and the damn thing broke last time we hit the desert. Came down off of a dune jump and when she came back onto the seat the pin in the latch just broke. Lol. I had to shove a bolt in the latch system to keep it from reclining. I will come and chime back in on this thread to let you all know what I find out. Thanks for the replies gents, I always appreciate your input.

jkwaterdog

Not a expert here. But seems most of the items you mentioned you had issues with work on the ‘internal’ CAN Bus system. I’ve heard of issues where modules within that CAN bus system malfunctioning and send faulty communications on the bus just enough to cause problems with other devices within the bus. Example Dash cluster issue causes wipers to malfunction, etc. Possible troubleshooting option would be to disconnect some of those modules one at a time to see if the issue stops. Good luck

Once you said burnt harness, all hopes of help on the internet are out the window. You have a one off electrical problem that needs in person diagnosis and likely replacement of wiring, connectors, or modules. Testing of individual wires continuity and inspection for damage. The fact that sometimes lights are weak and then brighter is a loose or corroded connection somewhere for that particular item. There is really nothing that can be suggested as a "fix" without being in front of it with a multimeter and scanner.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Flood damage and burned and replaced wire harness? And you just spend $6000 on suspension parts? Sounds like a rat nest to me. You can spends thousands of labor hours and dollars tracking that shit down.

jeeeep

Hooked
take it to your friend who has the experience and likely the diagnostic tools to figure it out.
Shop labor prices just for the diagnostics well worth the price of gas and you're likely to learn a lot more from him vs taking it to a shop (y)

Top Bottom