Electrical Issues in the JL

rob_bunch

So yesterday I thought my alternator went out. I was stranded at a buddies shop when the rubi wouldn't start so we jumped it and pulled it in to test it. The primary battery was reading below 12, secondary battery was reading at 6-7 volts and the alternator was not registering that it was charging.

We trickle charged the batteries overnight and still had to jump it this morning. I had to have it towed to the dealership because the electronic power steering wasn't working and the "warning pull over & stop message" was on the dash. Needless to say I am glad I have the extended warranty.

The question is... has anyone else had this level of electrical issues in a 18 and up jl or jt?

The question is... has anyone else had this level of electrical issues in a 18 and up jl or jt?
We got in our JL to drive 950 miles across the wasteland to Arizona. Pushed the start button. Everything went haywire on the dash and the engine would not start. Checked the voltage and it was only 5 volts.

So we moved everything into the trusty old Subaru and made it without issues. Could not even turn the JL off so we left it "running".

The battery went from working fine too totally useless within two days.

The behavior of the JL with a bad battery is not at all intuitive.

rob_bunch

We got in our JL to drive 950 miles across the wasteland to Arizona. Pushed the start button. Everything went haywire on the dash and the engine would not start. Checked the voltage and it was only 5 volts.

So we moved everything into the trusty old Subaru and made it without issues. Could not even turn the JL off so we left it "running".

The battery went from working fine too totally useless within two days.

The behavior of the JL with a bad battery is not at all intuitive.
So what was the remedy?

rob_bunch

The dealer used a dual battery jumper to try and start it and nothing happened...
I am really hoping its a simple fix.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been having issues with the 8.4 navigation, it keeps going blank in the middle of a trip or stays stuck on the loading screen.
happened again last week on a clear sunny day but this time I was able to get it to the dealer while it was still stuck, 20 minutes at this point.
They rebooted it and told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it 🤬 🤬 🤬

Lord60

That issue is not specific to jeep only. My Tundra (which I traded in for my JL) had the battery go out on it. Crazy thing, while I was driving, the instruments started acting all crazy. Radio would reboot as if doing diagnostics, the gauges acted crazy with the needles going full and then to 0 and then back to where they should be. Truck seemed to turn off completely, then back on... took to the dealership and it was just a bad battery.
They replaced it and it ran fine....

Top Bottom