Dynatrac 60’s hold up to 42’s?

Gecko13

Need some new tires soon. Been looking at the nitro 42’s and I believe micky Thompson has some coming out too. . Basically equivalent going from 37’s to 40’s I think? Can dynatrac 60’s hold up? Rear is a full float. Also I would have to buy new wheels as they only currently offer them in a 20. What backspace would be best? Thanks

"should" they? probably. "will" they? Who knows, they're just releasing the tires and no ones torture tested anything with them yet, you go first and report back.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Front will most likely be ok. If the rear is a high pinion, probably not. Low pinion, probably so long as you don’t have a v8

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why the difference of the high and low pinion out of curiosity?
The rear high pinion gains more ground clearance for the DL & pinion snout but sacrifices strength because the pinion rides on the "coast" side of the ring gear.
What CalSgt said exactly ^^^^
Coast side is the weak side and I have personally blown a couple on a HP PR60 and have personally seen many others blow on friends rigs and even with 38s. Just like I would not recommend semi-float shafts, I would not recommend a HP rear 60.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies, if I were to continue what backspace wheel should I run? 3.5?
I guess that depends on your suspension system and if there are things you need to clear. As is and with a standard coil and shock setup or most bolt on coilovers, ProRock 60's should be wide enough to clear 5.5" of back spacing. That will ultimately be better for turning and for keeping your ball joints and bearings lasting longer. However, there aren't too many options available. With 3.5", you can find tons of options.

SLO

from how I read, you are just asking about whether they will work and not break. It all depends on how hard you drive it. Many builds over many years use D60’s with 42’s. Not just JK’s but TJ’s and others. I haven’t seen issues but again, it’s all on how you drive it. Heavy on the skinny pedal on slick rock is going to be a lot different than finesse in the NW where you usually spin tires before breaking axles.

JT@623

Hooked
To the best of my knowledge, yes.
Just wondering looking at mine I was thinking hi pinion would be way off centered to the top similar to curries or others ? Mine seems to go in on the bottom of the housing am I missing something?

Attachments

• D16B1AE5-8EDF-4DCD-BEF4-4CEE6A1F4119.jpeg
    D16B1AE5-8EDF-4DCD-BEF4-4CEE6A1F4119.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 15

Ddays

Hooked
The hard core package did a low pinion rear iirc.
Per their website on the rear.

"Custom machined Dynatrac ProRock 60® High Pinion (reverse-cut) heavy duty nodular iron housing and nodular diff cover"

The FF PR60 in the Hardcore package is a low pinion - from Dynatrac's site:
  • Dynatrac Pro 60™ nodular-iron, standard-cut, high-rigidity housing promotes ring-and-pinion gear durability for bigger JK builds.

My they were pretty when they were new

• AXLES.jpg

MericaMade

• Dynatrac Pro 60™ nodular-iron, standard-cut, high-rigidity housing promotes ring-and-pinion gear durability for bigger JK builds.

Nice, I'm glad you clarified. Sorry JT I grabbed wrong info.

Brute

Hooked

No wonder there so expensive there’s 5 grand worth of lumber 🤣
The crate can be repurposed when you are ready to meet your maker...It might be a good way to go...

Top Bottom