Driveshafts

JimLee

Hooked
So I'm getting ready to order up some driveshafts for my JL that I just put Dynatrac 60's on. Seems I've seen a few complaints about Adams in the last year, mostly people getting shafts that weren't balanced. I don't have a local driveline shop to have some built so I'm gonna probably go with either JE Reel or Tom Woods, anyone got any good or bad feedback on either of those? Any reason to go with one over the other?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Me personally, JE Reel all the way. I have always had great results with them and they use Made in the USA Neapco u-joints STANDARD. If you go with Woods, make sure you pay to have the u-joints upgraded from their standard Chinese joints to at least Spicer. I have seen plenty of their joints blow on the trail.

JimLee

Hooked
Me personally, JE Reel all the way. I have always had great results with them and they use Made in the USA Neapco u-joints STANDARD. If you go with Woods, make sure you pay to have the u-joints upgraded from their standard Chinese joints to at least Spicer. I have seen plenty of their joints blow on the trail.
Good to know, thanks Eddie!

JimLee

Hooked
I’ve had Adams on mine since the motor and axle swap no issues. Didn’t know they’ve had issues?
Yea, just a few stories I've read on the interwebs, you never really know if it's bullshit or what they did to them. Could just be a bad batch if its true, it happens. For me I would have to travel over 100 miles just to have a shaft rebalanced so I'm kinda being overly cautious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve had Adams on mine since the motor and axle swap no issues. Didn’t know they’ve had issues?
I've had balancing issues with the ones I bought. Not that big of a deal and I had a local shop fix it. Made a video about it and NEVER MENTIONED ANY NAMES and only to help others know how to identify and address driveline vibrations and the whole internet shit on me for it. Tom Woods was the biggest one to mouth off on the social media sites and got everyone and their mother to join in. Adam's decided they didn't want to do anything with me after that as well. BUT, to this day, I never discourage anyone from using either company. Even in the case of Woods, all I ever do is tell the TRUTH about their joints and what you can do to prevent breaks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, just a few stories I've read on the interwebs, you never really know if it's bullshit or what they did to them. Could just be a bad batch if its true, it happens. For me I would have to travel over 100 miles just to have a shaft rebalanced so I'm kinda being overly cautious.
Another good shop that I've used is Powertrain. I think they're called Driveshaft Pro now and they have multiple shops in SoCal. I've always used their main facility in Gardena, CA and have always gotten great service from them. They would be someone I would trust as well.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Another good shop that I've used is Powertrain. I think they're called Driveshaft Pro now and they have multiple shops in SoCal. I've always used their main facility in Gardena, CA and have always gotten great service from them. They would be someone I would trust as well.
I used them in San Diego when you told me about them way back when. Had good service there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I used them in San Diego when you told me about them way back when. Had good service there.
That's right, I remember you using them too. What I like most about them is that they've always been willing to help me out in a pinch. The last time I stopped in, I explained how I was in town just for a day and asked if there was anything they could do to help me out. They literally got my shaft rebuilt and back to me in a day. No 'special' charges either.

JimLee

Hooked
Ordered up some JE Reel driveshafts today, thanks for the input!

JimLee

Hooked
Anyone transferring their dust shields from the stock TC flanges to the new 1350 flanges/ yokes? I saw some write ups of people doing on JK's, but the dust shields on the JL are pressed on to the stock flanges something fierce.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone transferring their dust shields from the stock TC flanges to the new 1350 flanges/ yokes? I saw some write ups of people doing on JK's, but the dust shields on the JL are pressed on to the stock flanges something fierce.
I don't think there's any need for it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie, that's kinda what I was figuring but wanted to ask those that had already converted theirs.
Me personally, I have always found that the dust shield ends up making an annoying metallic noise and if anything, I always remove it if it comes on a replacement yoke. I've never found it to be a problem.

Hey Eddie, I’m having my local shop build a front 1350 driveshaft for me. Sticking with the stock front diff flange but will get the double cardan ujoint and yoke for the transfer case. When you say “at least Spicer” for the joints, is there a manufacturer that you prefer over them?

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie, I’m having my local shop build a front 1350 driveshaft for me. Sticking with the stock front diff flange but will get the double cardan ujoint and yoke for the transfer case. When you say “at least Spicer” for the joints, is there a manufacturer that you prefer over them?

Thanks!
Yeah, I prefer Neapco. They’re made in the USA and they’ve always served me well.

Top Bottom