Does this sound like a bad rocker arm?

jeepabout

Hi,
please listen to this video, I think I have a bad rocker, I'd like a second option.
Thanks for listening!
Please let me know what you think.
Can someone post a video of a normal running engine?
Thanks

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
how many miles are on it? sounds a bit like my 3.8 until I begin to use high mileage synthetic.

jeepabout

how many miles are on it? sounds a bit like my 3.8 until I begin to use high mileage synthetic.
Thanks for the reply, it has 85000 miles on it, I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, but not high mileage, I did an oil change 1000 miles ago

jeepabout

Could you post a couple more videos of it? Maybe from either wheel well? I feel your fuel injectors might be muddying up the possible ticking noise.

Here is what mine sounded like just before I got my rocker arms fixed.

Thank you so much, that is exactly the type of video I was looking for. The ticking is so pronounced, mine is not like that. My neighbor that is a car guy did not hear ticking. Mine does not sound anywhere near that bad.
Should I use Seafoam or something to clean the injectors? I use zMaxx, but I have not put it in the gas tank for a while, I typically refill that tank when it's half empty, zMaxx recommends putting it in the engine when the tank is 1/4 full and run it for a while.
Thanks again

it's pretty consistent.
Before your next oil change run some seafoam or marvel mystery in the oil, see if a quick clean 100 miles or so helps it at all. It doesn't sound damaging or anything super bad, but there's definitely noise. Wont hurt to run the cleaner through with some gas as well if you suspect injectors are dirty.

Jsouder53

Hooked
What snboarder113 says. Also, if you begin to hear a more pronounced ticking like mine, do not take your time getting the rocker arms replaced. If I had waited longer, the mechanic said I would’ve needed the camshaft replaced and that is not cheap.

jeepabout

Before your next oil change run some seafoam or marvel mystery in the oil, see if a quick clean 100 miles or so helps it at all. It doesn't sound damaging or anything super bad, but there's definitely noise. Wont hurt to run the cleaner through with some gas as well if you suspect injectors are dirty.
thank you

jeepabout

What snboarder113 says. Also, if you begin to hear a more pronounced ticking like mine, do not take your time getting the rocker arms replaced. If I had waited longer, the mechanic said I would’ve needed the camshaft replaced and that is not cheap.
thank you

Top Bottom