Diesel filler neck adapter

AZVAJKU

Hooked
So during the holidays we are driving our diesel Gladiator home from Tennessee and we stopped to fuel up at an Exxon off the interstate. It was the only station at the exit. When I went to put the nozzle in it would not deactivate the door or flap that is installed on the Gladiator. I was pretty tired from driving all day so at first I thought the issue was just ‘Operator Headspace and Timing’. My first inclination was to force it in, however I did not want to break the Jeep so I went to another pump thinking there was something wrong with the nozzle- same deal on two different pumps. We ended driving down the road to another station. Luckily I still had over a 1/4 tank so it was no big deal.

It turns out the Jeep has a ‘Dummy Door’ that prevents a gasoline sized smaller nozzle from being inserted into a diesel fuel neck. This station had the same sized nozzle on all pumps- small. 🤬

Many of you probably already know this, however new to me was the fact that there are three different sizes of fuel nozzle. Small- which is for gasoline, medium- which is for passenger car diesel and then large nozzle (that’s what she said!) which is for big rig diesels. In addition there are different sizes fuel nozzles for the various fuel cans we all carry.

With all of this in mind I bought a ‘Diesel Fueling Adapter’ from VW/Audi. It was $16-ish and works very well. It comes in a nice container so you can store inside the vehicle without a mess.

Eventually I’ll see if I can remove the ‘Dummy Door’, but until then this will work for those rare occasions that there is an issue.

If anyone has a better solution to this please post up.

1642116797483.jpeg

1642116840489.jpeg

1642116880332.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh man. Super helpful as we just placed an order for a diesel JTR and I no doubt would have had to deal with this crap. Thanks for posting that up. 🍻

For those that have the diesel. How have you dealt with the DEF consumption or has it not been as bad for you guys as some of the reviews have said?

AZVAJKU

Hooked
For those that have the diesel. How have you dealt with the DEF consumption or has it not been as bad for you guys as some of the reviews have said?

Our last trip was about 1300 miles and we went from 100% to 70% on the DEF tank. My government school math says that’s about 1.5 gallons of the 5.1 gallon tank. I did about 70-80 mph for most of that distance. I can live with that for now.

What does it take to do an EGR delete on this engine? Asking for a friend.

Our last trip was about 1300 miles and we went from 100% to 70% on the DEF tank. My government school math says that’s about 1.5 gallons of the 5.1 gallon tank. I did about 70-80 mph for most of that distance. I can live with that for now.

What does it take to do an EGR delete on this engine? Asking for a friend.
Appreciate the feedback. Hoping to get at least 3000 or so out of each tank full.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

CalSgt

Hooked
My wife's yukon (gas powered) came with one of those so you can fill with a gas can... If you try to use a gas can without it, it burns your urethra

I’d imagine it varies depending on how much off-road or low speed driving you do VS higher freeway type speeds or am I missing the boat there?

onlyone

I’d imagine it varies depending on how much off-road or low speed driving you do VS higher freeway type speeds or am I missing the boat there?
That’s probably the case. I’m not really sure because I just drive the thing. I don’t care about any of that. It’s just a beast. Effortless power even on 37s. It can eat all the def it wants.

Bacon

Like the kid on ‘South Park’ says: “I learned something today”.

This is one of the many things I really like about this website, the sharing of info.

There is the funnel/adapter for diesel fueling that comes in the Gladiator. I dug around and ours was in the glovebox.

See below.

View attachment 370982

View attachment 370983

View attachment 370984
Same! I had no idea wtf that thing was. Glad I threw it in a drawer instead of the garbage.

Top Bottom