Death Valley Wheeling Locations?

TacPen

Banned
So I have a trade show in Vegas next week and might have a few days before I need to get back to "the office".

I was thinking of heading up to Death Valley for a day or two of light wheeling / hitting some trails. Anybody got a recommendation on how to spend a day or two out that way?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It'll be a haul from Vegas but, I might run Titus canyon which starts near the town of Beatty. Real pretty trail with a ghost town along the way. Echo canyon is fun too but, way up north as well. If you come in from Shoshone, you can work your way up to some of the tourist stops, take the 190 back to the 127. These are all things on the east side of the park and they would make the most sense to do being that you're coming from Vegas.

Skirmish

Yeah, Echo is cool cause there are some mines to check out and a little light crawling. There is also this eye of the needle rock formation that I missed. It's about 90 minutes from the south west side of Vegas and comes out into Armagosa pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Titus is quite a haul up and I never used 4wd but there are some nice sites along the way. I have a trail book that I'll lookup and get back to you. There are more scenic dirt roads than 4wd trails but a lot of great views.

Make sure you fuel up in Parumph cause gas is really expensive in the valley.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I vote for Devil's Race Track.

The Race Track is way over on the northwest side of the park. Great place to visit but far from Vegas.

You can check out Barkers Ranch or better known as Charles Manson cabin

You can work your way from the east but the ranch is way in to the Panamint Valley. Also, if you haven't been there in a while, some yahoo burned it down a couple of years back. :grayno:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The Race Track is way over on the northwest side of the park. Great place to visit but far from Vegas.

You can work your way from the east but the ranch is way in to the Panamint Valley. Also, if you haven't been there in a while, some yahoo burned it down a couple of years back. :grayno:

Really? I was planning on heading out there and was searching for info on it the other day. I didn't see/read anything about that. What is wrong with people?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really? I was planning on heading out there and was searching for info on it the other day. I didn't see/read anything about that. What is wrong with people?

We'll plan a trip out there. It's still a fun run with lots of cool things to see.

As far as people go, I'll quote Trail Bud and just say "PEOPLE SUCK"

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
We'll plan a trip out there. It's still a fun run with lots of cool things to see.

I was going to go out there the other day before the fun run but didn't feel like driving that far after working the night before. And yes "people suck!"

jelliott076

I was going to go out there the other day before the fun run but didn't feel like driving that far after working the night before. And yes "people suck!"

I'm going to be working with a team in Vegas the second week in February. It may be a long haul from Vegas, but that's a heck of a lot closer than Spring Valley! Any idea when this will be on the calender? it's on my list of places to check out...but not in the middle of the summer.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I'm going to be working with a team in Vegas the second week in February. It may be a long haul from Vegas, but that's a heck of a lot closer than Spring Valley! Any idea when this will be on the calender? it's on my list of places to check out...but not in the middle of the summer.

I know I won't be going out there then as I will be at KOH the whole week before. It might be cool to do a little two day camping trip when it warms up a bit in say March.

dasbus

A great full day trip I like to take from staying in either Stovepipe Wells or Furnace Creek. First hit Cloride City, then to Titus Canon. Make a run up to Scotty's Castle and pending on the time you can make a quick run to UbeHebe Creator just before the sunsets. Then it's time to head back to camp.

Conman

March is a great time to head out to Death Valley. I hope you do put together a run out that way!!

Skirmish

My house is pretty cool and close to it. Kidding. Red Rock is a smaller version of Valley of Fire. Some hiking and biking trails, the Potato Ridge trail ends in the middle of the loop. Great scenic views of red rocks.

If you don't want to run all of Potato or want to do it the easy way you can start the trail there and run it to the top of the hill and back.

orngcrushrgrl

My house is pretty cool and close to it. Kidding. Red Rock is a smaller version of Valley of Fire. Some hiking and biking trails, the Potato Ridge trail ends in the middle of the loop. Great scenic views of red rocks.

If you don't want to run all of Potato or want to do it the easy way you can start the trail there and run it to the top of the hill and back.

We went up the trail in the mountains it was pretty nice to get away from the tourists on the scenic drive.

We're planning to go to the Valley of Fire today.

ARTY2

DV Trails

Try the trail to Big Pine , it takes off the road to Ubehebe Crater and goes for 60 miles of Dirt and sand, wouldn't do it alone though, also Darwin falls up past Panamint Springs

Top Bottom