DANA Ultimate UD60 TORTURE TESTED & PROVEN on the JL / JT Experience

jdofmemi

I've run RCV in the past and I'm running them now on my JL because it was the only option available for my PR44 but for the $400 premium, I'm still not a fan. I've been running chromoly shafts with full circle clips for 2 decades and have never had to deal with the snap crackle and popping that you get with RCV's and they've always been just as strong. Well, for me anyway. Granted, I'm just a mall crawler so there's that.

With that said, what u joints do you run in the PR44? I know your JL has RCVs, and know why, but I keep breaking 1350 u joints in Chromoly shafts, and wonder what you would recommend?

The last one was a clean break at low speed, and I immediately stopped, but it still bent the ears on the shaft where they would not hold a replacement u joint.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With that said, what u joints do you run in the PR44? I know your JL has RCVs, and know why, but I keep breaking 1350 u joints in Chromoly shafts, and wonder what you would recommend?

The last one was a clean break at low speed, and I immediately stopped, but it still bent the ears on the shaft where they would not hold a replacement u joint.

For the most part, I've had good luck with Neapco NON-greasable u-joints. I would NOT recommend greasable u-joints as they are hollow and will break. CTM's would be the better way to go but you really need to run them with locking hubs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So that it isn't missed, there was a hell of a lot of tire spin and big bouncing that should have broken axles on our latest video. ALL of the UD60's held up great!

WJCO

Meme King
So that it isn't missed, there was a hell of a lot of tire spin and big bouncing that should have broken axles on our latest video. ALL of the UD60's held up great!

After seeing the way these Jeeps were wheeled, I'm shocked that someone didn't break something more than a tail light or hard top.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After seeing the way these Jeeps were wheeled, I'm shocked that someone didn't break something more than a tail light or hard top.

Honestly, this kind of wheeling is where I've always seen axle shaft and driveshaft breaks. As I've said multiple times now, it wouldn't have surprised any of us if one did break. I am truly impressed with the quality and strength of our UD60s :)

Ddays

Hooked
CTM u-joints use bronze bushings instead of needle bearings. This makes them really strong but not really something you want to spin on all the time if you can help it.

Thanks for the info. :thumb:
LOL, I just spent a half hour looking up CTM u-joints online. Made from 300M alloy steel - used for aircraft landing gear. Pricey little boogers though: $285 ea :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. :thumb:
LOL, I just spent a half hour looking up CTM u-joints online. Made from 300M alloy steel - used for aircraft landing gear. Pricey little boogers though: $285 ea :crazyeyes:

Pricey but super strong and long lasting. I’ve literally been using the exact same CTM joints on Moby since we got them 10 years ago. They have maybe 150k miles on them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Slimebones

CTM u-joints use bronze bushings instead of needle bearings. This makes them really strong but not really something you want to spin on all the time if you can help it.

Please help me understand. If this is "not something you want to spin on all the time", how do you make them sustain your use of 150k miles? What kind of maintenance is involved?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Please help me understand. If this is "not something you want to spin on all the time", how do you make them sustain your use of 150k miles? What kind of maintenance is involved?

He can unlock the front hubs so the u joints aren’t spinning 99% of the time.

This ^^^^

That is not to say that I haven't blown out a rear end before and had to drive a few thousand miles on front wheel drive before. It's just not recommended.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
DANA Ultimate UD60 TORTURE TESTED & PROVEN on the JL / JT Experience

And really, that’s all we were hoping to do - gain real world experience with the UD60. The problems they had in the past seem to have been addressed and punishing them with the skinny pedal all week long showed me that they were up to whatever we could throw at them.

Pardon me, if someone has already asked, but this 4 month old boy is keeping me busy.

Are the Mopar UD60’s, and the Dana UD60’s the same? I assumed they were, but I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 87A1A03E-EC26-4923-A846-541436687858.jpg
    87A1A03E-EC26-4923-A846-541436687858.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Pardon me, if someone has already asked, but this 4 month old boy is keeping me busy.

Are the Mopar UD60’s, and the Dana UD60’s the same? I assumed they were, but I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, different part numbers for Mopar performance and they come with a different diff cover that says Jeep.

Top Bottom