Cooper STT Pros more expensive than Nitto

Ddays

Hooked
Had coopers...never again. Ok on the trail but as noted weak sidewalls, noisy on the street and hard to get a round set.
Nitto's best tire available..if you can wait.
Curious, what size & sidewall did you have?
Older 37's seemed more rugged than the newer ones. My original set I had no issues with. Over the past few years the 37's seem to have chunking issues. When I went to them in a set of 40's, I did have one square one that they took care of but even with that I still love these tires. I do have a set of 37" TG's on my JL and while they are a really nice tire, the Coopers seem to have more overall grip.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Older 37's seemed more rugged than the newer ones. My original set I had no issues with. Over the past few years the 37's seem to have chunking issues. When I went to them in a set of 40's, I did have one square one that they took care of but even with that I still love these tires. I do have a set of 37" TG's on my JL and while they are a really nice tire, the Coopers seem to have more overall grip.
While I have seen the chunking problem that others have mentioned, I can't say that I ever really saw it on the sets that I've run. Certainly not on the 37's I ran for a long time and the sidewalls on them seemed really strong. I did have a failure on the 40's I ran on Moby but then, they're only Range C and so it wasn't that big of a surprise. Granted, my Trail Grapplers are only Range C too. Overall, I still think the STT Pros hook up better on the rocks but I do think the Trail Grapplers are a better overall tire. Of course, I'm still not thrilled about Goodyear owning Cooper now.

Oh, and it should be noted that Mickey Thompson is made by Cooper so they're owned by Goodyear now too.

Bear_JT

Hooked
It’s pretty amazing just how much Goodyear now owns. Unfortunately, I think their “quality” or lack there of is going to be in all that they own. I did love my old STT Pros but Nitto is just so much better of a tire in my opinion. And like Eddie mentioned, they’re making up to 37’s here in the US.

It this point for me it was get coopers or wait who knows how long for a set of nittos. My other tires were so badly cracked I just didn’t trust them with my kids in the Jeep.

Ddays

Hooked
While I have seen the chunking problem that others have mentioned, I can't say that I ever really saw it on the sets that I've run. Certainly not on the 37's I ran for a long time and the sidewalls on them seemed really strong. I did have a failure on the 40's I ran on Moby but then, they're only Range C and so it wasn't that big of a surprise. Granted, my Trail Grapplers are only Range C too. Overall, I still think the STT Pros hook up better on the rocks but I do think the Trail Grapplers are a better overall tire. Of course, I'm still not thrilled about Goodyear owning Cooper now.

Oh, and it should be noted that Mickey Thompson is made by Cooper so they're owned by Goodyear now too.
I saw the chunking first hand when I was on the Drummond Island run a couple years ago. Weebz had a pretty new set on his Jeep and mine were a coupe years old at that time. I bought that set right after you reviewed them for the first time back in what, 2015? Anyhoo, Weebz chunked the shit out of his tires on the rocks at Turtle Ridge and mine were unscathed. Jdofmemi's 37's are chunked to shit too.

While I do love my Coop's, I think I'm going to try the Trail Graps next set. Like you, I'm so tired of these companies getting involved in politics instead of just selling the shit they make & leaving the rest alone.

IIRC Cooper also makes Dick Cepek tires too. :unsure:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the chunking first hand when I was on the Drummond Island run a couple years ago. Weebz had a pretty new set on his Jeep and mine were a coupe years old at that time. I bought that set right after you reviewed them for the first time back in what, 2015? Anyhoo, Weebz chunked the shit out of his tires on the rocks at Turtle Ridge and mine were unscathed. Jdofmemi's 37's are chunked to shit too.

While I do love my Coop's, I think I'm going to try the Trail Graps next set. Like you, I'm so tired of these companies getting involved in politics instead of just selling the shit they make & leaving the rest alone.

IIRC Cooper also makes Dick Cepek tires too. :unsure:
Yup, they make Dick Cepek as well. As far as the chunking goes, I have to think they must have changed the rubber compound somewhere along the line.

bk030

I liked the Coopers I've run in the past but would pass on them now being that they're now owned by Goodyear. Also, up to a 37" tire, Nittos are made in the USA.
Does that include 37" tires or 35" tires and below? My 37x12.5x17 Trail Grapplers say made in Japan on them. I received them about a month ago and mounted KMC Grenade beadlocks. No big deal either way. They mounted easily and required no balancing.

Dale72

Hooked
Does that include 37" tires or 35" tires and below? My 37x12.5x17 Trail Grapplers say made in Japan on them. I received them about a month ago and mounted KMC Grenade beadlocks. No big deal either way. They mounted easily and required no balancing.
35's and 37's are supposed to be made at the plant in GA or they were, and the 40's came from Japan

bk030

35's and 37's are supposed to be made at the plant in GA or they were, and the 40's came from Japan
Maybe something changed with the supply and demand that has been going on. I always like to purchase made in the USA products and was surprised when mine showed up stamped made in Japan.

Team.RGP

I was looking also at the STT Pros but I see that there are some complaints against the Goodyear ownership...may I ask why? :unsure:
My current Cooper AT3s are made in USA and I am very happy with them.

WJCO

Meme King
I was looking also at the STT Pros but I see that there are some complaints against the Goodyear ownership...may I ask why? :unsure:
My current Cooper AT3s are made in USA and I am very happy with them.
Last year when BLM was burning down cities, Goodyear got caught telling employees that it was ok to wear BLM (black lives matter) clothing to work but they couldn't wear clothing supporting police (blue lives matter).

Fuck that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Last year when BLM was burning down cities, Goodyear got caught telling employees that it was ok to wear BLM (black lives matter) clothing to work but they couldn't wear clothing supporting police (blue lives matter).

Fuck that.
This ^^^

Used to love Cooper tires but now that Goodyear owns them, I won't buy from them or Mickey Thompson or any other tire brand associated with them.

Team.RGP

I see... thanks for clarifying, next set of tires will be BF most likely. I would like to try Nitto, but it is extremely difficult to get them over here. I think within EU they are owned/distributed by Toyo Tires but they only sell Toyo and not Nitto brand.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see... thanks for clarifying, next set of tires will be BF most likely. I would like to try Nitto, but it is extremely difficult to get them over here. I think within EU they are owned/distributed by Toyo Tires but they only sell Toyo and not Nitto brand.
Nitto is owned by Toyo and truth be told, Toyo makes a really good tire. Their Open Country MT is one that I have always enjoyed running.

Team.RGP

Nitto is owned by Toyo and truth be told, Toyo makes a really good tire. Their Open Country MT is one that I have always enjoyed running.
Thanks for the feedback Eddie (y)
In that case I will take a look at the Open Country MT as well, because they are easy to find over here.

2011jk

I had 37" x17's..this was in 2017 and 18.

Jimmyboy

Fuck that.

Well… I just had a set of STT Pro installed this morning… that just took the wind right out my sails. Look like nice tires for a stock size tire. But, had I known the above, I’d have never bought them, I’d have ordered a set of Toyo and waited six months…

The only solace I take in it - if they had to make a statement of no clothing supporting police, that tells me at least some of the people there actually making the tires support the men in uniform, so my purchase supports those guys. At least that’s what I’ll tell myself.

Top Bottom