Coolant leak help for JK

bmkrinne

Hey guys, I’ve been smelling coolant for several months at stop lights and when pulling back in the garage. I don’t drive it much but this evening I located the leak dripping off the bottom of the thermostat housing at the bottom bolt gasket area and onto the serpentine belt. Can’t tell exactly where it’s originating from though. 2012 JKUR

Anyone seen this before? Is this common?

What are the potential fixes?

I’m planning to tighten the bolts, then assess. Then pull the housing and inspect next.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
The housing itself is plastic, so by tightening, you run the risk of cracking the housing and making the leak worse or breaking it altogether. Check the torque spec thread.
I replaced my thermostat when I had to replace the sensor. It comes with the housing. So if the housing is broken, a new one does come with one.

FFPulley77

Hooked
You may also try to look at the little bleeder screw on top of the thermostat housing. Mine started leaking and looked like it was running down to the bottom. Then I jacked it up when I tried to tighten it. So I ended up doing a full coolant flush while I was replacing the thermostat.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, my housing cracked as well. It’s a cheap and easy swap, just messy. I cut up a windshield washer fluid jug and positioned it below to catch the fluid when you undo the hoses. Use a couple radiator hose clamp pliers to keep it from full draining.

bmkrinne

The housing itself is plastic, so by tightening, you run the risk of cracking the housing and making the leak worse or breaking it altogether. Check the torque spec thread.
I replaced my thermostat when I had to replace the sensor. It comes with the housing. So if the housing is broken, a new one does come with one.
Thanks, I’ll retorque to OEM specs. Good to know about the new housing paired with the thermostat!

bmkrinne

You may also try to look at the little bleeder screw on top of the thermostat housing. Mine started leaking and looked like it was running down to the bottom. Then I jacked it up when I tried to tighten it. So I ended up doing a full coolant flush while I was replacing the thermostat.
What’s the screw there for? Bleeding residual air from the high point?

bmkrinne

Yeah, my housing cracked as well. It’s a cheap and easy swap, just messy. I cut up a windshield washer fluid jug and positioned it below to catch the fluid when you undo the hoses. Use a couple radiator hose clamp pliers to keep it from full draining.
Thanks, Bull I just threw an empty windshield washer jug away yesterday. I’ll go fish it out of the trashcan!!! #dumpsterdiving

FFPulley77

Hooked
What’s the screw there for? Bleeding residual air from the high point?
Yep, I believe so. I had a small leak so I tried tightening it and I cranked down too hard on it and ended up cracking the housing or the screw itself. Also, big Minute Maid juice jugs work for catching coolant.

Top Bottom