Cell phone holder solutions

duktrx

Have a Rokform case with a magnetic mount, held decent when out exploring forest service roads last weekend. If I had a bar to mount it to, I would use their motorcycle or bicycle mount, no way it would fall off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Bumping this thread. Looking for a phone mount. So far the two I like the most are the 67 designs (driver's side mount) and the bullet point one. They both look pretty similar. Anyone running those and any pros/cons now that they've been out for a couple of years? Any other options that are simple yet sturdy? I'm trying to stay away from the bar ones that take up the entire windshield.

benatc1

Hooked
Bumping this thread. Looking for a phone mount. So far the two I like the most are the 67 designs (driver's side mount) and the bullet point one. They both look pretty similar. Anyone running those and any pros/cons now that they've been out for a couple of years? Any other options that are simple yet sturdy? I'm trying to stay away from the bar ones that take up the entire windshield.
Had a RAM mount in my gladiator, was damn near impossible to keep it still off road, have a bullet point one in my ram, I like it but after less than a year the mount doesn’t stay tight enough to hold the arm still. So I put a 67 design in my new JL, so far seems good, solid construction, but haven’t been off road yet.

JWasko

Caught the Bug
Used something similar to the 67 design from bulletpoint.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have the bullet point mount with SCOSCHE PSM11012 TerraClamp MagicMount Pro XL .

Didn't like the bullet grip mount, it's not smooth and took 2 hands to place/remove the phone

IMO Scosche make the best magentic mounts, phone has never fallen off the mount; even chasing Eddie on the dirt and hitting the bumps at speed lol

It does come with a rubber type cage for extra hold but the only time it's been used is when my daughter is in the driver's seat with her iPhone (no magnet mount on her case) or if I decide to use it on the trail.

Also ordered clamping levers to get a better grip to tighten everything up, the thumb grip shit wasn't very good

PhoneMount1.jpg

PhonMount2.jpg

t0uf

This is my time to shine! I went with a very DIY solution, but it worked out great. I had two requirements going into this project:

- A quick disconnect wireless charging solution
- Wireless Android Auto

I tried a lot of different charging solutions with the RAM tough track that I ordered, and I was generally disappointed with all of them. Magnetic chargers didn't have a strong enough grasp to hold the phone in place off road, wireless chargers like the first party RAM solutions were way too bulky and ended up being distracting because of the amount of my field of view they consumed. What I ended up settling on was this cheapo charger from Amazon. It's relatively small, does a somewhat decent job of charging my phone and when I put my phone into place, it automatically clamps it in so that it doesn't bounce around. Mounting it was the fun part. I ended up removing the base that it came with entirely and 3d printing an adapter for the ball mount that it shipped with. A little time in Fusion360 and I was off to the races, and the end result is pictured below.

Capture.PNG

20230324_153758.jpg
I hate visible wires, so getting power to it was another problem. I ended up buying a 12v adapter and wiring the cable up and behind my dash screen like so.
20230324_153742.jpg

Lighting in the garage was fun today. Don't mind my hand blocking the sunlight coming through the windows in the pic above.

The last piece for me, wireless Android Auto, has been the most frustrating. I've been using Carsifi for a few months now, and while it works, the experience is incredibly frustrating as my device constantly tries connecting to it even while my car is powered off. I currently have it in my center console and I've been considering mucking about in my fuse box so that I can kill power to that USB port when the car is off to put an end to that nonsense. I can't recommend Carsifi to anyone else. I've faced a lot of issues with disconnects on long car rides, and there's some high voltage lines that cross the highway near where I live and it constantly disconnects when I drive underneath them. There are a lot of other wireless Android Auto/CarPlay adapters out there, so give those a shot first if you can. Carsifi has a beta option to try to resolve this issue by only connecting when you're also connected via bluetooth to Uconnect, but it's dodgy and only really works 50% of the time.

At the end of the day though, I'm incredibly happy with my solution. It holds my phone very securely even on the bumpiest of trails. I can hop into my car, drop my phone in the mount and just forget about it. For the most part, it just works.

If you're obsessive about cable management, have access to a 3D printer and you have more free time than you do common sense, I recommend it. I think my solution is better than any off the shelf product I've seen so far. Happy to share the .stl as well if anyone wants to do this themselves.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is my time to shine! I went with a very DIY solution, but it worked out great. I had two requirements going into this project:

- A quick disconnect wireless charging solution
- Wireless Android Auto

I tried a lot of different charging solutions with the RAM tough track that I ordered, and I was generally disappointed with all of them. Magnetic chargers didn't have a strong enough grasp to hold the phone in place off road, wireless chargers like the first party RAM solutions were way too bulky and ended up being distracting because of the amount of my field of view they consumed. What I ended up settling on was this cheapo charger from Amazon. It's relatively small, does a somewhat decent job of charging my phone and when I put my phone into place, it automatically clamps it in so that it doesn't bounce around. Mounting it was the fun part. I ended up removing the base that it came with entirely and 3d printing an adapter for the ball mount that it shipped with. A little time in Fusion360 and I was off to the races, and the end result is pictured below.

View attachment 386806

View attachment 386805
I hate visible wires, so getting power to it was another problem. I ended up buying a 12v adapter and wiring the cable up and behind my dash screen like so.
View attachment 386807

Lighting in the garage was fun today. Don't mind my hand blocking the sunlight coming through the windows in the pic above.

The last piece for me, wireless Android Auto, has been the most frustrating. I've been using Carsifi for a few months now, and while it works, the experience is incredibly frustrating as my device constantly tries connecting to it even while my car is powered off. I currently have it in my center console and I've been considering mucking about in my fuse box so that I can kill power to that USB port when the car is off to put an end to that nonsense. I can't recommend Carsifi to anyone else. I've faced a lot of issues with disconnects on long car rides, and there's some high voltage lines that cross the highway near where I live and it constantly disconnects when I drive underneath them. There are a lot of other wireless Android Auto/CarPlay adapters out there, so give those a shot first if you can. Carsifi has a beta option to try to resolve this issue by only connecting when you're also connected via bluetooth to Uconnect, but it's dodgy and only really works 50% of the time.

At the end of the day though, I'm incredibly happy with my solution. It holds my phone very securely even on the bumpiest of trails. I can hop into my car, drop my phone in the mount and just forget about it. For the most part, it just works.

If you're obsessive about cable management, have access to a 3D printer and you have more free time than you do common sense, I recommend it. I think my solution is better than any off the shelf product I've seen so far. Happy to share the .stl as well if anyone wants to do this themselves.
Looks like a butt plug.

I like your cable management solutions but like my 67-Designs setup. However, while I have a holder for a phone, I have not used it yet! I have two Garmin GPSs mounted that I use for different purposes (Trails/InReach and highway driving).

I don't like the way Android Auto is so needy. When I don't need it's services (I rarely do) I prefer that it just stop annoying me and stop using my data plan. Android Auto is for city slickers.

Another vote for 67 Designs. They are proud of their USA made product. Manufacturing / assembly plant in Texas. And mount doesn’t move around at all. Very solid. No coincidence.

Here’s the “small” size arm for reference. Sits in a good spot for driving. This is a JK, but of course they offer the same for a JL.

35E8CC25-0693-4253-8667-923791266418.jpeg

AZVAJKU

Hooked

I have Bullet Point on the Gladiator, 392, and the JK. So far they have worked well. I have the JK version mounted to the cage, however the JL & JT mount to the recessed portion on top of the dash. Super easy to install and easy to uninstall if that’s ever needed.

AZDIESELPIG

I have Bullet Point on the Gladiator, 392, and the JK. So far they have worked well. I have the JK version mounted to the cage, however the JL & JT mount to the recessed portion on top of the dash. Super easy to install and easy to uninstall if that’s ever needed.

Love Mine.

20230330_181843.jpg 20230330_181848.jpg

Top Bottom