CB Recommendations

jal

Whats CB are folks using these days?
Im making my list and cant wait to get the new CB bar Eddie is working on

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I personally use race radios being that everyone in the industry uses them and they are small but I think a lot of regular people are moving over to GMRS these days. Either way, there are lots of small options available and as far as CB's go, Cobra or Uniden are what I would look at.

jeeeep

Hooked
I used a Cobra 29 LTD for a long time and it's still a great radio with lots of features built in it including a SWR meter but, it's a large CB. The size makes it mounting overhead a head magnet for me, my head seems to find it often lol

I've since switched to the much smaller compact President Thomas CB, it has lots of features, you have toggle thru multiple menus for the initial setup but unlike the Cobra, it does require using an external SWR meter to tune it to the antenna and the use an external speaker (which can be mounted easily on the CB bar)

I also have a couple of handheld Rugged radios which are very handy, Baofeng (I believe is the maker for Rugged) can be bought for a lot less and requires a little programming to load the channels. I would've bought Baofeng had I known how easy it is to program in the channels.
You will need an easy to get license for GMRS, pay the fee and wait for it to get processed.

I recently bought a midland micro GMRS, haven't installed it yet.

I have noticed more of the organized Jeep tours are moving away from CB and requiring GMRS

jal

I used a Cobra 29 LTD for a long time and it's still a great radio with lots of features built in it including a SWR meter but, it's a large CB. The size makes it mounting overhead a head magnet for me, my head seems to find it often lol

I've since switched to the much smaller compact President Thomas CB, it has lots of features, you have toggle thru multiple menus for the initial setup but unlike the Cobra, it does require using an external SWR meter to tune it to the antenna and the use an external speaker (which can be mounted easily on the CB bar)

I also have a couple of handheld Rugged radios which are very handy, Baofeng (I believe is the maker for Rugged) can be bought for a lot less and requires a little programming to load the channels. I would've bought Baofeng had I known how easy it is to program in the channels.
You will need an easy to get license for GMRS, pay the fee and wait for it to get processed.

I have noticed more of the organized Jeep tours are moving away from CB and requiring GMRS
great info - thanks

Sgt_USMC

I am finishing up the install of a uniden PC78LTX. It has swr built in. I’m making a mount today for the antenna, but have heard great things about it. Check out the clubs in your area to see what they are using. SD used to use CB, but almost clubs there are switching over to GMRS. I’m in Fl right now and the club I’m with uses CB still.

Alpine Warthog

Just made the switch to GMRS, but I'm going to be installing a CB again soon so I'm covered wherever I am. Just have to figure out the ground plane thing. I'm running a fiberglass shell over the bed so that's gonna be interesting.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Bumping this thread.

looking at a CB or maybe something else? Only wheel a few times a year and haven’t in a few years. What is everyone running now? What can give you the best range thru obstructions? (Mainly trees lol).

tallguy26

Caught the Bug
Bumping this thread.

looking at a CB or maybe something else? Only wheel a few times a year and haven’t in a few years. What is everyone running now? What can give you the best range thru obstructions? (Mainly trees lol).
I have a uniden pro 510 cb and a baofeng ham. Since the 2 clubs I'm in run both. The ham does a decent job I the woods but you have to have a license. I have heard gmrs is better for obstructions.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
A Uniden CMX760 with a tuned Firestik antenna has worked very well for me.

I like the small size of the radio and the fact that I can remote mount the receiver and then run everything with the handset.

Small details like a proper ground, a high quality cable, and proper antenna tuning will make a huge difference regardless of the model. I have a 3-ft and a 5-ft Firestik. The taller antenna gives better range but can take a beating from trees and brush.

1673493214581.jpeg

1673493680068.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A Uniden CMX760 with a tuned Firestik antenna has worked very well for me.

I like the small size of the radio and the fact that I can remote mount the receiver and then run everything with the handset.

Small details like a proper ground, a high quality cable, and proper antenna tuning will make a huge difference regardless of the model. I have a 3-ft and a 5-ft Firestik. The taller antenna gives better range but can take a beating from trees and brush.

View attachment 383846

View attachment 383847
I really like the Uniden CMX760 as well. It's like a more modern version of the old Cobra 75 and better too.

I'm running the Uniden CMX760 and can say it's great! I had a little Cobra 19 for a while but upgraded to the Uniden not too long ago. Much better, Module mounted under the dash and all the controls and the speaker are on the mic itself. I still have a couple buddies that use CB but I also bought a Boafeng handheld HAM so I'm covered anywhere.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I really like the Uniden CMX760 as well. It's like a more modern version of the old Cobra 75 and better too.
I'm running the Uniden CMX760 and can say it's great! I had a little Cobra 19 for a while but upgraded to the Uniden not too long ago. Much better, Module mounted under the dash and all the controls and the speaker are on the mic itself. I still have a couple buddies that use CB but I also bought a Boafeng handheld HAM so I'm covered anywhere.
Is this one that you guys think I could still utilize the CB bar?

cinnur

For programming GMRS and amateur I went with this outfit,

Excellent customer service, and though you can do it all yourself, this really simplifies programming.

Top Bottom