CB & GMRS antenna location

jal

So i want to run both CB & GMRS
I already have eddie’s cb antenna mount and the new cb bar and the NMO adapter inbound.
Where is the best place (practical) place to mount the GMRS antenna and what radio recommendations do you all have?
I want to mount both on the CB bar.
I have a 2019 JLR
Thanks in advance

waynem

Most common mount I've seen is just a simple L bracket that is mounted to one of the bolts on the cowl. My gladiator uses one of the stubby antennas and its mounted in front of the windshield, on the plastic cowling. Doesn't get caught by branches but I'm sure I'm sacrificing range...

As far as radios, if you are going to mount it to the CB bar, then I'd suggest the Midland MXT 400 or MXT 500. Decent wattage, good display. Your other options is the MXT 275 or 575 .. those have the controls on the hand piece is really depends on what style you like.

IMG_8929.JPG IMG_8307.jpeg

Reactions: jal

jamesrw30

Antennas need a good ground plane to operate optimally. a fender mount would make sense but could have some reflective. Mounting into plastic would mean you have no ground. It would work obviously but be far from ideal. A fender mount or even a metal bumper would be your best bet. I like Eddie's tailgate hinge mount also.

jeeeep

Hooked
Antennas need a good ground plane to operate optimally. a fender mount would make sense but could have some reflective. Mounting into plastic would mean you have no ground. It would work obviously but be far from ideal. A fender mount or even a metal bumper would be your best bet. I like Eddie's tailgate hinge mount also.
would that work with a cb antenna next to it?

TrailHunter

Hooked
I've been down the wormhole of GMRS antennaes and ground planes... but I said fuck it and mounted it right where the CB antennae was... on my EVO tire carrier between the spare and the hard top...using the same coax cable. And I've had zero issues on the trail communicating with friends. I still have the Cobra75 brain behind the glove box and I can swap over to CB in minutes... I Just have to Plug in the handset, pull the GMRS antennae, throw on an adapter and add the CB antennae... and thats it. But I don't think I'll ever use the CB again.

jamesrw30

Optimally you wouldn't want them mounted right next to each other unless you are swapping them around when using them like trailhunter stated. Chances of desense are low though unless you're keying both at the same time. I'd put one on the tailgate hinge mount or metal bumper then one on a fender mount. But you could co locate next to each other if the plans to use them at the same time were low.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Only my opinion... but rather than have a CB & GMRS.. I think having GMRS and HAM or Race radio is a better option the way things are going. My plan eventually is to ditch the CB hardware.. and add a Quality Race Radio with Eddies CB Bar.. and keep the Midland MXT275 in the glove box. I think they can can share the same Dual Band antennae... but I haven't gone down that wormhole yet.. 2 separate antennas may be better. But if your buddies run CB's, thats definitely the way to go. I convinced all my buddies to switch to GMRS and its been a much better experience on the trail... the sound quality and range was a big improvement over CB.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
I run HAM and GMRS in my JT. I have my HAM antenna on the front of my hood, in the middle so limbs don't hit it. I have my GMRS antenna on the back of my truck bed. I often run both at the same time and they don't interfere.

If you are in RENO area, I have an antenna analyzer which can tell you all you need to know about how efficient your antenna install is on various frequencies.

I highly recommend getting a HAM license, it's an easy test and they give you the question pool and the answers which you can memorize in a day for the entry level license, technician. The advantage of HAM is there are repeater systems you can use that have huge range. For example, yesterday I was in Plumas National Forest, and I could talk static free back to my home in Verdi, NV even though there are mountains between those two locations. GMRS can have repeaters too, but they are kind of rare to find.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Running a Midland MXT575 hidden in the space under the steering column of my JK. The radio came with a mag mount antenna and a round steel plate.

To protect the paint, I mounted the plate to the cowl on the R/H side and set the mag mount on the plate.

The setup works well enough when we’re together on the trail or road. Haven’t tested to see what the max range is.

Reactions: jal

Kenney

Running a Midland MXT575 hidden in the space under the steering column of my JK. The radio came with a mag mount antenna and a round steel plate.

To protect the paint, I mounted the plate to the cowl on the R/H side and set the mag mount on the plate.

The setup works well enough when we’re together on the trail or road. Haven’t tested to see what the max range is.
Just got my MXT575 like 1 min ago
GP NOIR is there any instructions or Video on the Web for the install ?

GP NOIR

Hooked
Search for MIDLAND MXT575 HIDDEN INSTALL. A guy installed his under the steering column of his Gladiator. That gave me the idea of installing mine in the same place of my JK. I did things differently.

I did not use Velcro (as shown in the video) to install the head unit. Instead, I used the bracket that came with the radio. I had to modify it and the brackets under the steering column to get the head unit to fit.

My JK is a manual so the clutch goes where the hole in the firewall is everyone else used to pass wires through. Instead, the wires and co-ax are run through a space under the cowl corner panels and comes out behind the dash. There’s foam filler that needs to be cleared out and a piece of piano hinge was used to fish the wires through.

Since the left side is used for the wires for the cowl mounted KC lights, I ran all the crapola for the Midland through the right side. The dash covers were removed so I could route the wires and co-ax to the head unit. Routing the wires was tedious but worth it in the end.

The mic cable is connected directly to the head unit and comes out of the drop panel in the dash under the steering column. One day, I’ll get a CAT V connector for a cleaner install.

Kenney

Search for MIDLAND MXT575 HIDDEN INSTALL. A guy installed his under the steering column of his Gladiator. That gave me the idea of installing mine in the same place of my JK. I did things differently.

I did not use Velcro (as shown in the video) to install the head unit. Instead, I used the bracket that came with the radio. I had to modify it and the brackets under the steering column to get the head unit to fit.

My JK is a manual so the clutch goes where the hole in the firewall is everyone else used to pass wires through. Instead, the wires and co-ax are run through a space under the cowl corner panels and comes out behind the dash. There’s foam filler that needs to be cleared out and a piece of piano hinge was used to fish the wires through.

Since the left side is used for the wires for the cowl mounted KC lights, I ran all the crapola for the Midland through the right side. The dash covers were removed so I could route the wires and co-ax to the head unit. Routing the wires was tedious but worth it in the end.

The mic cable is connected directly to the head unit and comes out of the drop panel in the dash under the steering column. One day, I’ll get a CAT V connector for a cleaner install.
Thanks for the quick response, I'll see what happens when I get it hooked up, I do have a SWR meter for the final tweak.
(y)Ken

Kenney

Attachments

• 20221203_162838.jpg
    20221203_162838.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221203_152520.jpg
    20221203_152520.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221206_164744.jpg
    20221206_164744.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221206_165234.jpg
    20221206_165234.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 19

Kenney

I took your advise and installed the midland mtx575 under the steering wheel and added the Cat5 mic extension. I used a 1 1/4 holes saw and cut a hole inside the firewall right above the steering shaft for the Cables. added rubber grommet and black RTV to seal all. super happy thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom