Can anyone recommend a rear bumper for JT that is designed to have a rear winch

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
I jeep solo often and carry lots of recovery gear. I can almost always self-recover. The only situation where I'd be in trouble are ones where I really need a rear winch. So I've decided to focus on this as my next improvement and bullet proof my solo trips. The problem is finding the bumper solution that incorporates a winch into the design. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe it's just me but If you're really wheeling in hard enough terrain where a rear winch is required to save yourself, you really shouldn't be wheeling there alone. You are making a BIG assumption that there will always be a solid and secure point behind you that you can recover from.

That said, and if you insist on going alone, I personally would recommend something like this over a rear bumper with a winch mount.

Brute

Hooked
I had something similar mounted to a plate that you can attach to the rear 2" receiver hitch that you use for towing...only attach it when you need it. I used it mostly for snow wheeling, especially if the rig behind me did not have a winch...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I get the “pull yourself back out instead of pull yourself through” mentality. I’m alone a lot and sometimes backwards is better than forwards (pulling yourself forward in Nevada desert muck can be a very bad idea). Like Eddie pointed out though, having something to connect to is often a problem. You can bury a tire but that is a lot of work. I think the hitch mount is a great way to go but I’d also want a pullpall or something similar with me.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
I get the “pull yourself back out instead of pull yourself through” mentality. I’m alone a lot and sometimes backwards is better than forwards (pulling yourself forward in Nevada desert muck can be a very bad idea). Like Eddie pointed out though, having something to connect to is often a problem. You can bury a tire but that is a lot of work. I think the hitch mount is a great way to go but I’d also want a pullpall or something similar with me.
I have the deadman offroad kit for when there are no anchors

JimLee

Hooked
I had a winch mounted on a hitch receiver cradle made by Warn on my old beasted out Poorrunner. Receivers front and back and tow plugs wired for winch power on both ends. It was a nice setup, but I have to say that I never once got into a situation where moving it to the rear bumper was worth the effort.

Brute

Hooked
Pull Pal...

ScoobyCarolanNC

I was solo and ran a mud pit id done 100 times. well, I sank. Did some annoying damage 2 hours later when my neighbor dragged me out. Bad. Be careful out there.

Top Bottom