Camp Cooks

Jackboeker83

I’ve seen everything from elaborate setups to a single burner stove. I’m a minimalist myself (Jetboil halfgen system) and keep my meals pretty simple. I see we have a thread for what people cook back at home but I wanted to start a thread where people can share their kitchen setups and really some meals people have while on the trail or camping. I’m always looking for new ideas and expand my options.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely a lot you can do with just a Jetboil and we use ours a lot. But, aside from that, we still use a basic Coleman stove to cook most of our meals.

Great thread idea by the way. I look forward to seeing what people post up. (y)

Jackboeker83

Definitely a lot you can do with just a Jetboil and we use ours a lot. But, aside from that, we still use a basic Coleman stove to cook most of our meals.

Great thread idea by the way. I look forward to seeing what people post up. (y)
I love the Jetboil for sure but I’m pretty basic with it. Eggs and sausage in the morning. Maybe steak or hamburger for dinner. I look forward to seeing some creative dinners and setups people post. The other cooking thread we have has already inspired me to to cook some pretty good meals so let’s see what this does.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I keep a jetboil in the Gladiator at all times and it is my go to for just me. For longer trips or nicer meals, I either use my portable traeger with a goal zero yeti battery, or my Brunton Wind River stove with propane. Each has its benefits but the Brunton is a serious tank.

I smoked a tri-tip on the traeger a few weeks ago next to the Snake River while fishing for channel catfish. It was fantastic.

Attachments

• DF65EDDD-42F0-4BBD-B567-F459D6355AEB.jpeg
    DF65EDDD-42F0-4BBD-B567-F459D6355AEB.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AEB0642A-7A45-49AC-A0F6-F667A25A8B8B.jpeg
    AEB0642A-7A45-49AC-A0F6-F667A25A8B8B.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 7

Brute

Hooked
The older I get, the more minimalist I am...Jet Boil in Brute at all times, and when on a trip, I add a propane radiant heat grill for brats or steaks. Back in the day, for just a three day beach camp at Makua, I'd bring two full size gas grills and a stand up Camp Chef rangetop...

TrailHunter

Hooked
MSR PocketRocket 2 & JetBoil MiniMo for me... with 2 I can boil and cook at the same time if needed. Packs small, nests and keeps my Jeep Kitchen to one storage box. In that box I keep some Mountain House, canned food, pots, stoves, utensils, etc. If I do bring a small cooler its's for some meat or pre-cooked meals that just needs heating up. I like simple & Minimalist.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In a day and age when "overlanding" has become a thing - as in, loading up your Jeep with a bunch of big, overweight and for the most part, unnecessary stuff, I'm glad to see so many of you here on this forum are still about carrying just want you need and having a great time on the trail (y)

jesse3638

Hooked
In a day and age when "overlanding" has become a thing - as in, loading up your Jeep with a bunch of big, overweight and for the most part, unnecessary stuff, I'm glad to see so many of you here on this forum are still about carrying just want you need and having a great time on the trail (y)
The best part is it's loaded up 247x365. I can't count the amount of RTT's faded and tattered from being installed year round and probably never used that I see around here. It's not like the desert goes easy on those things.

The "overlanding" thing started in Australia where it was (and still is) about long self-supported expeditions. But in the USA it has become about a different form of camping and a particular "look". Now it is about how much stuff you can fit in/on your overburdened vehicle.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think it depends on the trip. For short easy trips I’ll bypass the jetboil and the crap packaged meals and just cook good food at home and put it in the fridge and eat cold or do sandwiches and such.

Rubicon trips or camping trips I’ve brought a lot more. Full tables and stoves and the whole deal. Just hate breaking it down.

CalSgt

Hooked
I have a Jetboil Sumo which doubles as my French press for coffee. I try to keep it in the Jeep but I perpetually take it into work or in the house for coffee. I have yet to attempt cooking anything besides noodles
though.

I have a pelican case that is my travel kitchen. It holds a small propane cuisinart BBQ grill, a single burner mounts on a small bottle, saucepan, fry pan, sharp knife, small cutting board, tongs, big spoon, spatula, 2 each forks spoons and butter knives. A ziplock with some plastic wear, roll of paper towels, salt, pepper, tobasco, a small bag of coffee and a few other small items.

The case is my table for the grill or whatever else I’m using while I cook.

we pre roll breakfast burritos wrapped in foil and do sammiches, burgers, sausages, franks, chili or simple stuff most days and will pack steaks or a tri-tip for a dinner. We use the same sliced bread for buns, toast, and sammiches

DaJudge

We carry a Coleman stove and a small gas grill. We started carrying the grill when all the fire bans started about 10 years ago. We use a height adjustable folding plastic table to put everything on.
All the kitchen stuff (minus the grill) is permanently stored in an old blue rubbermaid container.

Top Bottom