Cabin Air Filter

Unkle_Willy

The CAF isn't something I normally give any thought to but spent this week wheeling in the desert and had dust blowing out of the AC vents. So now I'm thinking an upgrade to the factory filter is in order. See that the K&N is a two piece design. Anybody know if this helps with sealing the fit any better? Seems overpriced, but then it's a jeep part.

Threw the oreilleys ones in today. 2 piece. Although the one I put in previously was one piece. Bought of Amazon. For super cheap. I would be interested to hear someone’s experience with a K and N one. Just don’t know how much performance can be gained in the cabin air filter category[emoji848]...definitely change them often..

WJCO

Meme King
The CAF isn't something I normally give any thought to but spent this week wheeling in the desert and had dust blowing out of the AC vents. So now I'm thinking an upgrade to the factory filter is in order. See that the K&N is a two piece design. Anybody know if this helps with sealing the fit any better? Seems overpriced, but then it's a jeep part.

No experience with the K&N but definitely change the filter. Did ours recently on the JT and it was filthy and plugged up pretty good. Jeep is garaged with 18k on it and stays on the pavement pretty much all the time. We threw the Mopar in there. I can see the appeal of the 2piece design though as it's a little tricky getting the filter installed where it's not bent or damaged.

KIMG0711 (1) (1).jpg

Last edited:

jamesish

No performance is gained just the prevention of your hvac system components becoming hot and fried. I would think the air filter is for performance, the cabin air filter is for hvac.

I’ve been looking at the k&n. It’s more expensive but you don’t keep replacing them, you just clean them the same way as the intervals you would change them. But if you get a k&n I don’t why why not to just wash monthly and keep it moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No performance is gained just the prevention of your hvac system components becoming hot and fried. I would think the air filter is for performance, the cabin air filter is for hvac.

I’ve been looking at the k&n. It’s more expensive but you don’t keep replacing them, you just clean them the same way as the intervals you would change them. But if you get a k&n I don’t why why not to just wash monthly and keep it moving.

Yea no, I understand that a clogged cabin air filter is going to jack up your internal air. I just don’t know if anyone here can attest to having a brand new 15 dollar oreilleys cabin air filter and a brand new 70 dollar K&N one and be able to describe the difference in the overall quality / lifespan of their heat / AC in their Jeep. I would bet the only difference is one you replace, the other you wash. And I personally like to chuck it out when it looks like WJCOs does.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jamesish

I just don’t know if anyone here can attest ... be able to describe the difference in the overall quality / lifespan of their heat / AC in their Jeep.

People say that? I just thought people buy the reusable filter, same for engine air filter, so you don’t have to keep buying them. 15 dollars each time for 10 times, or 45 dollars for one time. It just a way of saving money over an extended amount of time.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just buy the cheap filter. Cabin air filters are recommended to be changed every 2-3 years or every 25k. I get my filters from the local auto parts store for $5. The local store is much cheaper than pep boys, orily, auto zone, etc. plus with having the top down and doors off the filter doesn’t get used much. Only In the winter time does mine get used

jdofmemi

Just buy the cheap filter. Cabin air filters are recommended to be changed every 2-3 years or every 25k. I get my filters from the local auto parts store for $5. The local store is much cheaper than pep boys, orily, auto zone, etc. plus with having the top down and doors off the filter doesn’t get used much. Only In the winter time does mine get used

☝️This☝️

When the top of off, half doors, and lots of dusty trails, there is dirt a plenty on both sides of mine.

I could change my filter after every trail, it would look like WJCO's picture above.

If it becomes top on season, I will change mine.

People say that? I just thought people buy the reusable filter, same for engine air filter, so you don’t have to keep buying them. 15 dollars each time for 10 times, or 45 dollars for one time. It just a way of saving money over an extended amount of time.

Hey man, sorry for the confusion. I was just saying, I’ve never heard anyone’s experience with the K&N ones. That’s why I threw the comment out there to see what might come back. WAYALIFE is cool like that; you never know, someone might chime in saying K&N cabin air filters changed their life....who knows man...try ‘em out. Come back and tell your story...

I have the K&N. I don’t know that it is better but for me I like the fact I can just clean it out and not have to buy a new one each time.

If the K and N cabin filter is 'high flow' like the intake filters I wouldn't run it. The only way to get high flow is to filter out less particles. We make our intakes here at work with K and N filters and I wont run it on my jeep and I don't have to pay for it!

Unkle_Willy

My decision was to get the WIX filter some of you recommended. About $12 with shipping. Fits perfectly and I think it will be just fine. NOTE TO OTHERS - whenever changing your filter be sure to look carefully at how the back and side edges seal against the filter. If you're not careful when inserting the element it can become cocked in the slot and not seal properly. I think this is why mine was allowing dust to pass. When properly seated the front edge of the filter should be recessed about 1/2" into the frame. It should be easy to reinstall the front retaining strip - if it isn't the filter isn't seated correctly.

jeeeep

Hooked
My decision was to get the WIX filter some of you recommended. About $12 with shipping. Fits perfectly and I think it will be just fine. NOTE TO OTHERS - whenever changing your filter be sure to look carefully at how the back and side edges seal against the filter. If you're not careful when inserting the element it can become cocked in the slot and not seal properly. I think this is why mine was allowing dust to pass. When properly seated the front edge of the filter should be recessed about 1/2" into the frame. It should be easy to reinstall the front retaining strip - if it isn't the filter isn't seated correctly.
good to know, I just bought the Wix filter as well and will swap it out this weekend

LarryB

I live in a high dust area (dry location, near farms/fields, and close to a massive billion dollar highway construction project). I found that the stock Mopar one looked like Pigpen (from Peanuts) after 6-8 months. I bought a K/N one about 6 months ago. It seemed to gather even more dust, but cleaned up very nicely. So, while it will save me money if it lasts a decade, it also seemed to catch dust better, as least in my non-scientific test.

Unkle_Willy

Pretty sure the factory one is two piece. I go with the el cheapo one and change it regularly. It works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
The factory one I removed was one piece. I did have to compress the one piece filter I replaced it with to get it into the slot. but the pleats are folded accordian-style in the direction you have to squeeze it, and the rubber gasket allows this.

Top Bottom