But motorized vehicles are bad!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, this has been going on for a while now. They already got rid of Rally on the Rocks which was the UTV version of EJS. It's only a matter of time.

jeeeep

Hooked
I was talking to some of life long Moab residents and it's the tourists that are complaining about all the Jeeps.

I'd say damage is done by people like the climber who took it on himself to insert the climbing bolts because he's too stupid to tell the difference between graffiti and petroglyphs or rental users who feel because they've rented a Jeep or side-by-side they don't have to adhere to any rules.
This also includes motor cyclists and mt. bikers, I've seen too many of them cut trails and ride where they shouldn't because a slower vehicle was in front of them - I've almost hit a few of them that cut me off on the trail because they didn't want to slow down.
There are morons in every group that feel they can do as they please when they please because they feel they won't get caught.
I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of the damage is from the tourists and complaints they file are because of other tourists.

Rst8rox

This shit pisses me off... dumb-ass people thinking they can do whatever, wherever they please.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m afraid it will go the way Pismo Beach has . A few asshats ruin it for the majority
Honestly, I don't think you need asshats to ruin anything. There are people out there who just think we are evil and we need to be stopped.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is true.... why it’s so important to tread lightly whenever possible & take out what you pack in.
While I would agree with you that we should always try to eliminate ANY reason these people could use against us, I've come to learn that it never makes a difference. At least, it never has - they have a very focused agenda and they'll always find something or some reason to stop us. At least, it's what I've seen over the last 30 years. It's nothing short of depressing.

JT@623

Hooked
Honestly, I don't think you need asshats to ruin anything. There are people out there who just think we are evil and we need to be stopped.
I would tend to agree those of us who don’t agree with the agenda are evil . Even though most of us try to protect the areas we love to ride in.

J&k_Overland

Damn your a regular ray of sunshine in this thread Eddie. I get what your saying though some people are just here to make other people miserable.

Ddays

Hooked
This current off-road craze really reminds me of the 70's bike scene. Dirt bike sales exploded in the early 70's and went wild. Every weekend we were out riding somewhere. And there were a ton of places to go. But the more popular it got, the more it attracted the kinds of people that eventually killed it off and caused basically every place we rode to shut down. I can see the beginnings of the same thing happening now. IMHO, the UTV's are what's going to cause the next shutdown with the offroad scene. It's unreal how much they tear everything up.
Same goes for almost every other outdoor activity though. Now with social media attracting more and more people so they can post themselves sleeping on a mountain side and hanging off of a cliff with one hand, the same will happen there. Mountain bikes, snowboarding, you name it, Personally I wish the me too crowd would go back to watching Tiger King or whatever.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn your a regular ray of sunshine in this thread Eddie. I get what your saying though some people are just here to make other people miserable.
LOL - sorry about that. I guess I just get a bit frustrated with all the things that I know I have no control over.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This current off-road craze really reminds me of the 70's bike scene. Dirt bike sales exploded in the early 70's and went wild. Every weekend we were out riding somewhere. And there were a ton of places to go. But the more popular it got, the more it attracted the kinds of people that eventually killed it off and caused basically every place we rode to shut down. I can see the beginnings of the same thing happening now. IMHO, the UTV's are what's going to cause the next shutdown with the offroad scene. It's unreal how much they tear everything up.
Same goes for almost every other outdoor activity though. Now with social media attracting more and more people so they can post themselves sleeping on a mountain side and hanging off of a cliff with one hand, the same will happen there. Mountain bikes, snowboarding, you name it, Personally I wish the me too crowd would go back to watching Tiger King or whatever.
I think there's a lot of truth to what you're saying. UTV's and the people getting into them haven't been helping anything especially being that so many have no trail etiquette but without question, at least out west, the single thing that's made the most difference, is the internet. Or, at least from what I've seen. Before people had information about all the remote places they could go and then be able to find them using GPS on their phones, the wilderness was a LOT more wild and cleaner.

Top Bottom