Black Hills - Deadwood, SD

bhaner

Has anyone here ever wheeled in Black Hills area of South Dakota?

I found a bunch of cool looking trails. Hal John, Calamity Canyon... There are also a bunch of trails named after breakfast cereal. LOL!

I know the Jeep Jamboree folks do an event there in September each year.

May be a good place to check out for another EmW event. 20 hour drive for me... Looks like a 20-25 hour drive for the East coast folks...

wjtstudios

Hooked

I found a bunch of cool looking trails. Hal John, Calamity Canyon... There are also a bunch of trails named after breakfast cereal. LOL!

May be a good place to check out for another EmW event. 20 hour drive for me... Looks like a 20-25 hour drive for the East coast folks...

I’ve been looking too. I think the just ran the 2020 UA out there. I’d love to get back out there.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

bhaner

I may try to run the Jeep Jamboree USA event just to get some good tracks in the GPS.

But they have so many rules!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I’ve been looking too. I think the just ran the 2020 UA out there. I’d love to get back out there.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I think the UA 2020 was in Montana. But I’d love to visit SD. The Black Hills and Badlands are on my short list.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Brute

Hooked
I think the UA 2020 was in Montana. But I’d love to visit SD. The Black Hills and Badlands are on my short list.

I'm with you on that...I also hear they have some decent fly fishing in the Hills in Spearfish Creek...I'd be up for a fall trip...

wjtstudios

Hooked

Check out the Bikini Trail in the Black Hills. Looks like we could have fun on that one.

It was also on the last episode of the UA.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Check out the Bikini Trail in the Black Hills. Looks like we could have fun on that one.

It was also on the last episode of the UA.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

So I guess they did go to SD. I haven’t gotten that far yet. Someday I’ll get to binge watch jeep videos again.

wjtstudios

Hooked
So I guess they did go to SD. I haven’t gotten that far yet. Someday I’ll get to binge watch jeep videos again.

I finally had a desk day yesterday and was able to catch up. Definitely some good lines on that last trail

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

desertrunner

Anyone do the black hills in April? I'm really wanting to get the jeeps out for a run soon just not sure how much snow would be left over.

Maybe easter weekend hit bikini?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

desertrunner

So did some research it looks like the calamity canyon area is closed until mid May but jake, got milk, and fruity pebbles area is open year round. I'm thinking about making a run up there either this or next weekend depending on which Friday I can get off work. Bikini is also on the list I wanna do but probably another trip. Once I figure out what a 6/10 looks like in that area before I hit an 8 haha.
I'm also seeing some $25 permit needed but can't tell if that's only OHV or if that also applies to registered street legal vehicles. I messaged the black hills jeep group to see but not sure yet. It did look like in videos even licensed vehicles had it so I'll update if I find out.
Who would have thought they have some legit rock crawling trails in SD man I cant wait to go check them out!

bhaner

So did some research it looks like the calamity canyon area is closed until mid May but jake, got milk, and fruity pebbles area is open year round. I'm thinking about making a run up there either this or next weekend depending on which Friday I can get off work. Bikini is also on the list I wanna do but probably another trip. Once I figure out what a 6/10 looks like in that area before I hit an 8 haha.
I'm also seeing some $25 permit needed but can't tell if that's only OHV or if that also applies to registered street legal vehicles. I messaged the black hills jeep group to see but not sure yet. It did look like in videos even licensed vehicles had it so I'll update if I find out.
Who would have thought they have some legit rock crawling trails in SD man I cant wait to go check them out!

Very cool! Interested in what you find!

I definitely want to check this area out!

desertrunner

Very cool! Interested in what you find!

I definitely want to check this area out!
Looking at as many videos I can find on the area I don't think anything rated a 6 is going to be too sketchy for a 2dr on 37s or even a 4dr on 35s BUT the videos I have seen on trails rated a 8 to 9 are absolutely legit like western rock crawling. Buggies on 40s something I would totally love to check out but doubt I would commit either of my rigs to.
Maybe the 2dr when I get the beadlocks, evo sliders, and beefed up steering but I'd expect some winching and likely body damage. Which lets be honest my 2dr is my toy I want to beat on it as much as my wallet can afford but I refuse to do that alone. If we can get another WAL group to hit that area and people with tons and 40s are in I think there is plenty of fun to be had

Top Bottom