BFG KO2s

Jsouder53

Hooked
I just want to hear some feedback on these tires, mostly for winter. I have them on my truck right now but plan to swap them to my Jeep since I drive it more (and to save money for now since I have a baby on the way). My Mickey Thompson ATZ p3 are not my favorite tires when it’s a little slick out and they are wearing down.

They are the same size (except they are load range E) and are pretty much new, I haven’t gotten to drive them in the winter since my truck has been broke down all winter with a bad fuel pump (I’ll be fixing it when it gets a little warmer).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kuboske

I love them. Running them on both of my Jeeps. Good on snow, and relatively low noise.
On a side note. I bought a set of General Grabber's, for my Chevy 2500HD, and they have a very similar tread design. Happy with those, as well.
The BFG's seemed to balance a little easier.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Don't get the "DT" different tread versions. I put them on my F150 and they suck. Couldn't even get rolling from a stop on a wet road without them spinning. They use a harder rubber for heavy duty trucks.

I prefer Nitto or Toyo AT's, or Duratracs if you want a little more aggressive without going to a MT.

wjtstudios

Hooked
The KOs are great tires all around including the snow. I wouldn’t hesitate running them

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I just want to hear some feedback on these tires, mostly for winter. I have them on my truck right now but plan to swap them to my Jeep since I drive it more (and to save money for now since I have a baby on the way). My Mickey Thompson ATZ p3 are not my favorite tires when it’s a little slick out and they are wearing down.

They are the same size (except they are load range E) and are pretty much new, I haven’t gotten to drive them in the winter since my truck has been broke down all winter with a bad fuel pump (I’ll be fixing it when it gets a little warmer).

They are great tires. They wear well (I've got 30k on mine with plenty of tread left). Snow performance is fantastic. We had almost 10 inches of snow in late February and I had no problem getting in to work on unplowed roads. A few years ago we ended up with about an inch of compacted snow/ice on the road and I had 0 issue. Well stopping is always an issue on snow and ice. But as far as driving/turning/etc if you respect the fact you are on ice you can get around.

Elroy231

In my opinion its a good tire. I used a set on my former Nissan exterra and then switched them onto a Yukon. Performed well in most conditions. Over all I was very happy with them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

Agreed, do NOT get the DT version. They are also not 3PMSF rated as the regular KO2's are.
And I ran rhe ko2's on both my jk's here in NH. They are excellent in snow sleet slush etc. Not the best ice, but not a surprise. Fairly quiet on pavement. I got 65k on my last set, doing 4 tire rotation. They got quite loud at the end due to dealer doing shit rotation pattern. I can't do mine in the driveway in winter and was doing almost 3k miles a month so had them done elsewhere. Big mistake. Had they maintained proper rotatiin, they would not have been so loud. Mine were load E.
Now, all that said, when I had to replace rhem last fall, they were on perpetual backorder and I needed new tires for winter. (Mine is a dd). So I went with the new Toyo Open Country AT III, also a 3PMSF rated tire. They have outperformed the ko2's in every area of use, and are actually surprisingly good in mud for an AT. Good grip. They are again E load, but they do it with a 2 ply sidewall vs the ko2 3 ply. So they do actually ride a bit softer. Sidewalls still seem very strong, my wife's idiot husband has hit a curb and a rock offroad with nary a scratch on them. The only comparison to them I don't have yet is longevity as this is my first set. I have used 3/32nds tread in 13k miles. The first 1/32nd is a weird step on all the lugs that honestly makes the tires feel a little weird until it is gone. Also, do not get the OWL ones, as the sidewall and shoulder is actually much less aggressive than the BSW ones. No idea why.
Oh, forgot to add, another ko2 upside is made in USA. Unfortunately that also seems to have made them difficult to get last fall.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

duktrx

I think they handle great in the snow, no hesitation driving through snow. After last month we had an ice storm that dropped a solid 1" of ice overnight, I live in a hilly area and they had plenty of grip. More amazing is I'm closing in on 50k miles with five tire rotations and still have plenty of tread left.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I think they handle great in the snow, no hesitation driving through snow. After last month we had an ice storm that dropped a solid 1" of ice overnight, I live in a hilly area and they had plenty of grip. More amazing is I'm closing in on 50k miles with five tire rotations and still have plenty of tread left.

That is awesome! My Mickey Thompson’s have worn great with the 5 tire rotation, I’m just not happy with the snow/ice traction and I have to drive a windy canyon to get to work. I’m around 60,000 and still have some tread life

BobNH

Has anyone had any sidewall tears or rips with them?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Not I. I have scrubbed them pretty good without a cut. Most will say this, but there are some out there who have cut them I am sure. But the ko2 sidewall is pretty damn sturdy, especially the E load which is all I have run.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

duktrx

Has anyone had any sidewall tears or rips with them?

E-rated is pretty tough. The Cascade Range has a fair amount of lava rock which I have found rough on tires, and the KO2's have survived unscathed. On my work truck, I had some E-Rated Goodyear Duratrac that got shredded on the same terrain.

Colorado4x4

E-rated is pretty tough. The Cascade Range has a fair amount of lava rock which I have found rough on tires, and the KO2's have survived unscathed. On my work truck, I had some E-Rated Goodyear Duratrac that got shredded on the same terrain.

Awesome thanks guys. I haven’t really heard bad things about their sidewalls like the Duratracs. Several years ago I had a set of Duratracs with maybe 15,000 miles on them and ripped two sidewalls in a month that summer. One time coming down Webster Pass. It sucked. I loved the Duratracs in the snow and ice but their sidewall reputation lived up to the bad things I heard. I’m running Cooper ST Maxx now and I don’t like them so it’s going to be on to another set of something else soon.

patr1ckm

Don't get the "DT" different tread versions. I put them on my F150 and they suck. Couldn't even get rolling from a stop on a wet road without them spinning. They use a harder rubber for heavy duty trucks.

I prefer Nitto or Toyo AT's, or Duratracs if you want a little more aggressive without going to a MT.

I like Duratracs also. They offer decent traction in the snow.

Top Bottom