Best Place to live for Jeepers

JimLee

Hooked
THE Arizona strip is a Neat Place - it's Utah for me - We live in a Motorhome so wheel in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado all year long
You gotta check out some of the Grand Canyon overlooks in the Arizona strip, its a long haul out there but they are amazing and we camped at one for three days without seeing another vehicle or person, but then again you probably already know this.

Sylvester

You gotta check out some of the Grand Canyon overlooks in the Arizona strip, its a long haul out there but they are amazing and we camped at one for three days without seeing another vehicle or person, but then again you probably already know this.
We have not been out there yet - Hoping to get out there in January Maybe

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
CA.
Unfortunately, CA gets the bad rap because its major cities and the people in them. But you can say that about almost every state. I think CA has more opportunity (miles of trails) to get out and explore places than anywhere. Regardless of the time of year you can easily find a place to explore and the terrain you enjoy. And I still to this day don't understand the "restrictive" CA comments. Outside NV and AK we have the most BLM land. Outside AK the most National Forest, largest national park collection and the largest collection of state parks.
Been CA kid (40+yrs a kid still?) most my life and I can still say CA has amazing things for me to see that I have never laid eyes on. I might be biassed :p
There you have it ^^^ CA is the BEST state and everyone should want to live there (y)

JimLee

Hooked
Get out there in May or June, still not too hot and the wet season has passed, I wouldn't want to be out there when it rains or when the snow is melting off. You can see the the evidence of "sunk to the doors" all over the non graveled roads and trails out there.

Last edited:

AZVAJKU

Hooked

Check out the Bar 10 Ranch along the way.

At the ranch rafters are helo’d out of the Grand Canyon at the end of their rafting trips. After that they are transferred to a fixed-wing and flown to either Vegas or Marble Canyon. The Bar 10 an Impressive place for being so remote and off the grid.

Like JimLee stated: don’t go when it’s soggy and definitely be prepared.

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
Your forum info says that you are from Burton, Ohio. That does not sound like California to me!

Other than the gas prices, California is excellent to visit, but it is not so good to live there anymore due to weird restrictive rules and ever higher prices. My family still live there and they continually complain about it, although they continually take advantage of the outdoors.

Yeah. I don't even know if Burton, OH is a real place, might have lied on that one ;)

$$$ is and always will be the issue will CA. It's expensive and at times ridiculously so, no sugar coat. But in context, I choose an expensive hobby (wheeling), expensive tools (JKUR) and expensive location (CA). Complaining about the cost of self inflicted wounds is nonsensical. $0.02

Sylvester

Check out the Bar 10 Ranch along the way.

At the ranch rafters are helo’d out of the Grand Canyon at the end of their rafting trips. After that they are transferred to a fixed-wing and flown to either Vegas or Marble Canyon. The Bar 10 an Impressive place for being so remote and off the grid.

Like JimLee stated: don’t go when it’s soggy and definitely be prepared.
I have heard about the Bar 10 supposed to be Incredible Place - What is the Elevation out there? I would think Monson season would be a rotten time to go out there

AZVAJKU

Hooked
The internet (which never lies) says the airfield is at 4,100 ft. There are some foothills nearby that are higher.

Sylvester

The internet (which never lies) says the airfield is at 4,100 ft. There are some foothills nearby that are higher.
I didn't think it was Very high for the Most part - I think there is some hills around 6000 if I am not mistaken? I would think spring would be a Great time to go out there

JimLee

Hooked
I didn't think it was Very high for the Most part - I think there is some hills around 6000 if I am not mistaken? I would think spring would be a Great time to go out there
Depending how far you travel we saw elevations from 2700 (St George) to about 6K at the rim, from the research I did the wet season seems to be the spring and the monsoons hit that area later in the year. We went in late May, temps high 70's low 80's at the rim, low 90's in the lower elevations. No rain, winds which were my main concern camping on the lip of Grand Canyon were light. It is remote out there, as a matter of fact it's the first place I've gone with a satellite communications device and I'm glad I had it with me even though I didn't need it.

Colorado4x4

I live in the four corners. It’s pretty cool. 1.5 hours to Silverton, Co, 2.5 hours to Moab and so much wheeling here in Farmington during the winter. A lot of tough trails here but lots of fun. All kinds of exploration to do out here. Nice weather and cheap housing and 20 minute from Colorado.
We lived in Farmington from 2009 to 2012 and it’s a great location for wheeling. Chokecherry has some intense buggy trails but we never explored it because I had a Tacoma back then. Colorado is a good place for wheeling but the thing that sucks here is that the wheeling season is very short for the high country trails. Some of the trails won’t open until July and then the snow starts flying in September. Colorado has a great mic of easy scenic trails, high country shelf roads and enough crazy trails and places to satisfy most. It’s probably like everywhere, but the trails have become super crowded the last few years. I’m sure Covid had something to do with it, the internet, razors and all of that. Moab is also a ~5 hour drive depending on where you live. I haven’t wheeled in Arizona or California but they look like great places too.

jpkjeep

Caught the Bug
I've based most places I've lived around this question. Here's my top 3 in no particular order.
1. Western Slope of CO- you have easy access to Moab, the San Juan's, some hard-core crawling in Montrose ie. Die Trying, Calamity canyon etc. Also some great trails in the Grand Junction area. Also far enough from Denver that people aren't gender confused 🤣.
2. SW Utah- I loved living in Hurricane. Sand Hollow has an endless seeming number of challenges. When I lived there I'd go crawling twice a week. My technical rock crawling skills advanced more in a year there than 5 years in CO.
3. Carson City/Reno area- Great proximity to some of the best wheeling the west has to offer. Close enough to CA but without the headaches that come with actually living in CA lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom