Best half door and soft upper option?

fiend

Caught the Bug
I believe guys have modified the JK doors to have them. I have not yet

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yes it can be done. The guy I bought mine from installed power locks all around. I bought a rekey kit off eBay and rekeyed them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Boosthead

Yes it can be done. The guy I bought mine from installed power locks all around. I bought a rekey kit off eBay and rekeyed them.

Do you have any info on the re-key kit? I need to re-key a set of OEM half doors.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Do you have any info on the re-key kit? I need to re-key a set of OEM half doors.

Unfortunately I do not. I bought the kit maybe a year or so ago and can’t find any records of it. I have the impression it was put together by a locksmith and was not a mass produced commercial product.

HoosierWolf

I can’t speak to rugged ridge doors but I do have the mopar half doors and uppers. They are great for where I live (SoCal) but I would have reservations with them in a place that gets a lot of rain unless I had a garage in which to park the Jeep. They do not seal against the elements as well as full doors.

Thank you, all for the info.

I'll admit price is a factor for me but so is weight and to a lesser degree fear of damage. I don't wheel much in the way of rocks or at least haven't yet, but my tailgate has tasted tree and it has "custom bend" in it now. Since we tow our JKU behind an RV on trips sometimes, I think polymer would save me a lot of weight.

As it is, our Jeep gets thoroughly soaked so often I don't even leave the drain plugs in it so I don't know if rain leaking around a soft top is that big of concern to me. Maybe I just don't realize how much leaking you're talking about?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thank you, all for the info.

I'll admit price is a factor for me but so is weight and to a lesser degree fear of damage. I don't wheel much in the way of rocks or at least haven't yet, but my tailgate has tasted tree and it has "custom bend" in it now. Since we tow our JKU behind an RV on trips sometimes, I think polymer would save me a lot of weight.

As it is, our Jeep gets thoroughly soaked so often I don't even leave the drain plugs in it so I don't know if rain leaking around a soft top is that big of concern to me. Maybe I just don't realize how much leaking you're talking about?
I live in SoCal so soaking rain is a once a year event. Sounds like you’re used to it and have it handled. The OE half doors and uppers leak a bit, but not buckets.

Damn, that looks great. JKUs were born for 40s, tons, and half doors...it’s just fact...

Edit: meant to reply to DetConU...still getting familiarized here...will say I’m liking the new format here though...off topic...

HoosierWolf

Does anyone know if the Bestop canvas uppers will fit the Rugged Ridge half doors or do you have to go with the Rugged Ridge uppers? I've noticed I can get the Bestop uppers used pretty cheap so got curious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know if the Bestop canvas uppers will fit the Rugged Ridge half doors or do you have to go with the Rugged Ridge uppers? I've noticed I can get the Bestop uppers used pretty cheap so got curious.
You know, I really would like to know that as well. I need to replace mine but have only been able to get a rear set so far or at least, from Rugged Ridge.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not sure I would want to try. The rugged ridge uppers take a ton of time to get adjusted so they don’t pull out away from the body where birds could fly in. I can’t imagine a cheaper set would make things better.

HoosierWolf

Not sure I would want to try. The rugged ridge uppers take a ton of time to get adjusted so they don’t pull out away from the body where birds could fly in. I can’t imagine a cheaper set would make things better.
Good point. There may be a reason they are cheaper.

DanJeepMan

I agonized over this for a couple of years. Had some bestop elements doors for a while. Looked at rugged ridge and came close to picking up a set. Finally decided I wanted OE doors and wouldn’t be happy with something else. I found a used set locally. They came with power locks, uppers, and storage bags. Had to get them painted and I recently rekeyed them myself. Definitely expensive; $4k all in. But I have no regrets at all. Here in SoCal I can pretty much run them year round. View attachment 359711 View attachment 359712

Hello, just curious on how did you rekey them? Did you purchase new lock cylinders?

Top Bottom