Battery disconnect...

jamesish

So I’m reading the manual and it says I must disconnect the main battery and the auxiliary battery to completely disconnect the electrical system [to add electrical accessories]. Do you disconnect the auxiliary batteries or just the negative?

Also, I saw a video where the guy disconnected the ground for the auxiliary battery instead of removing all the stuff to get to the auxiliary battery. I believe the ground is on the side of the engine bay. If this doesn’t make sense I can try to find the video in my YouTube history.

TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalSgt

Hooked
So I’m reading the manual and it says I must disconnect the main battery and the auxiliary battery to completely disconnect the electrical system [to add electrical accessories]. Do you disconnect the auxiliary batteries or just the negative?

Also, I saw a video where the guy disconnected the ground for the auxiliary battery instead of removing all the stuff to get to the auxiliary battery. I believe the ground is on the side of the engine bay. If this doesn’t make sense I can try to find the video in my YouTube history.

TIA.

I usually disconnect the ground from the auxiliary battery, and disconnect each of the ground wires from each other . There are two large ground wires at the auxiliary battery, one of them is the ground for the main battery.

Upvote 0

jamesish

I usually disconnect the ground from the auxiliary battery, and disconnect each of the ground wires from each other . There are two large ground wires at the auxiliary battery, one of them is the ground for the main battery.

So you don’t disconnect the negative terminal on the main battery?

Upvote 0

CalSgt

Hooked
So you don’t disconnect the negative terminal on the main battery?

My understanding is the big battery that you have access to is the auxiliary battery, one of the two large ground cables on it is the ground for the main battery which is hidden under the fuse box.

So.. unhooking the two ground cables from the auxiliary battery and separating them from each other is how you disconnect the ground from the main (hidden) battery.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King

TIA.

I remember seeing a video on that when the JL first came out. I had forgotten about that.

Since, I've only disconnected the main negative from the battery when adding on mods. I've added a fridge, compressor, and power inverter. So 3 different times, I've had it off and so far I have all my fingers and there were no sparks. That doesn't mean I did it correctly but it worked out for me.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom