battery and aux battery suggestions

jal

I think i need to replace my aux battery as start/stop does not work,,
and want to replace both batteries while im at it. ( watched Eddies video) AWESOME!!
Battery suggestions from those who have done this would be awesome.

just want to be good for winter -

Thanks in advance-

CalSgt

Hooked
Odyssey is hard to beat, I have one in my SXS & in my project truck. Last I checked they don't offer the smaller one though.

kevman65

Hooked
The AUX battery seems to be hard to find right now. In stock one day, then gone for weeks.

There are motorcycle (power sports) batteries with the same dimensions so you can go that route.

OR, you can convert to a single battery. Remove the AUX, tape up the battery ends for it, remove the positive from main battery to AUX, make a jumper to go from N1 to N3 terminals and then everything falls on your main battery. I have heard people say that a 95 group battery will fit in the main battery tray. I haven't confirmed this, but it is a bigger, stronger battery group.

Reactions: jal

jeeeep

Hooked
There aren't many options for the smaller battery and they tend to be hard to find. I used O'Reilly's Super Start Platinum, for both the auxiliary and main. I upgraded to the larger group size 94R and have the higher output alternator on order. The larger battery will fit, there's a plastic space to remove and you're good to go. Some of the JL's with the group 34 came with the group94 size battery cover, otherwise the cover won't fit.

I've used Odyssey on my JKU and it worked well for the full term and then some. When it came time to replace it, I replaced it with another Odyssey same model but had to send it back within the week since it wouldn't hold a charge, even charged it with the proper 20A Odyssey charger and it wouldn't charge. The replacement lasted about 6 months and failed, got it replaced and was informed they would not replace it again because there must be something wrong with my charging system.
While waiting for the last replacement, I installed a $100 Interstate battery and it's still in the JKU and working great for my needs. The Odyssey is sitting on the shelf and put the Odyssey charger on it when I see a voltage drop; can't let them drop below 11 volts.

jeeeep

Hooked
The AUX battery seems to be hard to find right now. In stock one day, then gone for weeks.

There are motorcycle (power sports) batteries with the same dimensions so you can go that route.

OR, you can convert to a single battery. Remove the AUX, tape up the battery ends for it, remove the positive from main battery to AUX, make a jumper to go from N1 to N3 terminals and then everything falls on your main battery. I have heard people say that a 95 group battery will fit in the main battery tray. I haven't confirmed this, but it is a bigger, stronger battery group.
have you done the single battery conversion?

kevman65

Hooked
have you done the single battery conversion?
I have assisted on a JL. So far he has had no codes and everything functions as it should. I wondered about the ESS function, but he says it still works as it should.

It is on my list to do when my batteries show they are getting weak.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have assisted on a JL. So far he has had no codes and everything functions as it should. I wondered about the ESS function, but he says it still works as it should.

It is on my list to do when my batteries show they are getting weak.
what engine?

I was going to do it instead of replacing both batteries but talking my neighbor who did his, his JL started showing codes and went away when he put in the aux battery and wiring back to stock. His was the 2.0. I should add he uses ESS

kevman65

Hooked
what engine?

I was going to do it instead of replacing both batteries but talking my neighbor who did his, his JL started showing codes and went away when he put in the aux battery and wiring back to stock. His was the 2.0. I should add he uses ESS

From what I have read, it shouldn't be done on the 2.0 or the 3.0. Don't know the reason, just that things don't work properly.

Having had bigger diesels in the past, I know that dual full size batteries work fine in them. But you have to build or buy the cross over/disconnect for the 3.0 for that to work.

kevman65

Hooked
And thanks for saying that, I keep forgetting about the 2.0 in the JL's.

OP, only try my advice if it's a 3.6 gasser.

Top Bottom