Balljoints compatible with RCV axles Rubicon

RUBEERCON

Sorry tired of searching the web for info. Thanks for any suggestions.

I have a 2015 Rubicon. Bought a set of RCV axles and I’m shopping ball joints. The axle is trussed, clamshelled and has gussets but that should not come into play.

Is there a simple list of the ball joints that will not clear the shaft joint? Or a list of what works...

I’m reading that the new pro steers will clear. No reviews found on Rare Parts.

Others run Crown HD, Teraflex, Napa Gold and the list goes on...

I know a certified mechanic with his own puller and install kits. He will change my ball Joints at my house for 200.00 if I remove the tires, calipers, etc. Should I just run a 200.00 set and have him replace them as needed?

I have ran trails for 2 years now with 35s and no OEMball joint failure with 20,000 plus miles on the jeep. I recently added the gussets and other weld on parts with my ball joints installed and the axle removed, it’s a good time to replace them and install the axle shafts.

Thanks Steve

WJCO

Meme King
Numerous members here running 35s or larger have tried about every ball joint in the book and ultimately went with Dynatrac ProSteers as the other brands just didn't last long. I am pretty certain the newer designed ones clear RCVs just fine.

BaddestCross

Are the Rare Parts rebuildable like the pro steers?
They way they're built they could be, but they're not selling rebuild kits. They're also claiming that they have yet to have a failure in the real world but I'll be the first to call bullshit on that one.

I've been running them since last spring putting on quite a bit of decently hard off-road miles on them and they're still as tight as the day I installed them but it's way too soon to agree to any claims of greatness they make online through my own personal experience.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

They way they're built they could be, but they're not selling rebuild kits. They're also claiming that they have yet to have a failure in the real world but I'll be the first to call bullshit on that one.

I've been running them since last spring putting on quite a bit of decently hard off-road miles on them and they're still as tight as the day I installed them but it's way too soon to agree to any claims of greatness they make online through my own personal experience.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Yeah, there's a write up on the internet of the install of the rare parts with RCV axles. Seems to clear without issue.

I agree, too little data to tell if they are as really good as they say. My buddy and I both recently installed them on ours. Time will tell.

RUBEERCON

Thanks all! Looks like I have a choice to make. Pro Steers proven and Rare Parts look cool and come in a pelican case!
I read that the Rare Parts upper ball joint carrying a load could be pulling the lower ball joint up. Could there be any truth to this??

BaddestCross

Thanks all! Looks like I have a choice to make. Pro Steers proven and Rare Parts look cool and come in a pelican case!
I read that the Rare Parts upper ball joint carrying a load could be pulling the lower ball joint up. Could there be any truth to this??
That doesn't really make sense to my neanderthal brain. There isn't anything on the upper to apply upward force.

You don't apply preload on the upper joint until the Jeep is sitting on the ground so you're actually pushing the upper down into the knuckle, not pulling the lower up.

--

jjlong

Synergy claims their ball jount will clear with a needle style zerk fitting. I've ran them for about 40,000 miles on 35's without any problems, but I don't have RCV axles.

RUBEERCON

That doesn't really make sense to my neanderthal brain. There isn't anything on the upper to apply upward force.

You don't apply preload on the upper joint until the Jeep is sitting on the ground so you're actually pushing the upper down into the knuckle, not pulling the lower up.

--

I think they were saying the force takes place as the heavy tire is bouncing upwards on an obstacle. Not sure I should have mentioned it, it was a random thought a few guys were tossing around. I know it’s simple mechanics but I have never messed with ball joints and I’m probably overthinking their job.

BaddestCross

I think they were saying the force takes place as the heavy tire is bouncing upwards on an obstacle. Not sure I should have mentioned it, it was a random thought a few guys were tossing around. I know it’s simple mechanics but I have never messed with ball joints and I’m probably overthinking their job.
Shit, if anything, it would help because the uppers are pressed in from the bottom with the Rare Parts... I'm no engineer, but that theory sounds a bit off the wall.

--

Top Bottom