Ball Joint Replacement

JudeinPa

I own a 2015 JKU and recently replaced my ball joints with Synergy HD ball joints. My rig has a 2.5" lift and before I replaced the ball joints it handled good with a slight pull to the right due to the bad joints.

After replacing the ball joints my steering got flighty and reminded me of when I first installed my lift and needed to correct the caster with a fixed lower control arm from JKS. When replacing ball joints is it possible that it changed my caster in any way? Thank you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of things. First, your pull to the right was most likely NOT caused by bad ball joints. Second, what you're feeling is pretty normal on HD ball joints for a JK as they tend to be sticky until they break in.

JudeinPa

Yes, it did need an alignment but the ball joints were bad (lowers on both sides).
I will get some mileage on them and see how it goes. Thank you for your quick response!

JudeinPa

Yes, it did need an alignment but the ball joints were bad (lowers on both sides).
I will get some mileage on them and see how it goes. Thank you for your quick response!
Ok, so I had a front end alignment and ended up with the same steering issue. I removed my steering stabilizer and it seemed to help just a little.
Purchased an angle finder and my pinion angle is 0 and the top of the ball joint reads about 9 or 10 degrees caster. Still wondering how my caster changed.
I have out about 80 miles on the new ball joints so I don’t think the joints are still sticky. I purchased a set of both upper and lower front and rear control arms and hope to have them installed this weekend. I also have a set of front and rear 3” EVO plush rides but don’t think I can get them installed with the control arms. I
still have no idea as to what happened to my steering to affect my caster that much?

jesse3638

Hooked
Ok, so I had a front end alignment and ended up with the same steering issue. I removed my steering stabilizer and it seemed to help just a little.
Purchased an angle finder and my pinion angle is 0 and the top of the ball joint reads about 9 or 10 degrees caster. Still wondering how my caster changed.
I have out about 80 miles on the new ball joints so I don’t think the joints are still sticky. I purchased a set of both upper and lower front and rear control arms and hope to have them installed this weekend. I also have a set of front and rear 3” EVO plush rides but don’t think I can get them installed with the control arms. I
still have no idea as to what happened to my steering to affect my caster that much?
I installed these in my old front axle and it took nearly 1000 miles for them to finally feel loose enough and the steering wheel to self center. I believe Synergy says it may take 300-500 miles. I'd put a lot more miles on them before messing with anything else.

Also if you have fixed control arms they just took your money for an alignment and gave you a neat computer print out. The only thing they could have adjusted was your drag link to center you steering wheel and maybe your toe in.

JudeinPa

I installed these in my old front axle and it took nearly 1000 miles for them to finally feel loose enough and the steering wheel to self center. I believe Synergy says it may take 300-500 miles. I'd put a lot more miles on them before messing with anything else.

Also if you have fixed control arms they just took your money for an alignment and gave you a neat computer print out. The only thing they could have adjusted was your drag link to center you steering wheel and maybe your toe in.
You are right about wasting my money on an alignment! I have been doing my with a set of the stainless steel alignment tool I bought from Bleeping Jeep. A few years ago I did a high steer and tie rod install and used that tool and never had any steering problems or uneven tire wear. Just that I would see if it was just me doing something wrong.
Going to work this morning the seemed to get a lot worse keeping my Jeep tracking in a straight line. Then going home it seemed to be almost like it was but then after a red light stop started to act up again. I will see how it irons out with more mileage.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
You are right about wasting my money on an alignment! I have been doing my with a set of the stainless steel alignment tool I bought from Bleeping Jeep. A few years ago I did a high steer and tie rod install and used that tool and never had any steering problems or uneven tire wear. Just that I would see if it was just me doing something wrong.
Going to work this morning the seemed to get a lot worse keeping my Jeep tracking in a straight line. Then going home it seemed to be almost like it was but then after a red light stop started to act up again. I will see how it irons out with more
Does the steering wheel self center after you make a 90° turn? Mine didn't until I had over 1000 miles on them. That's how I knew they were sticky. What your describing is exactly how mine felt until they loosened up. I wouldn't let anyone else drive it it was that bad. Them being sticky makes it feel like you have way too much air in the tires or too little caster and like it's tracking all over. Once they broke in they worked great though. Just keep driving it and like rubiDave said wash board roads are your friend right now...haha. Also if you have any windy mountain roads those will help too.

JudeinPa

Does the steering wheel self center after you make a 90° turn? Mine didn't until I had over 1000 miles on them. That's how I knew they were sticky. What your describing is exactly how mine felt until they loosened up. I wouldn't let anyone else drive it it was that bad. Them being sticky makes it feel like you have way too much air in the tires or too little caster and like it's tracking all over. Once they broke in they worked great though. Just keep driving it and like rubiDave said wash board roads are your friend right now...haha. Also if you have any windy mountain roads those will help to
Does the steering wheel self center after you make a 90° turn? Mine didn't until I had over 1000 miles on them. That's how I knew they were sticky. What your describing is exactly how mine felt until they loosened up. I wouldn't let anyone else drive it it was that bad. Them being sticky makes it feel like you have way too much air in the tires or too little caster and like it's tracking all over. Once they broke in they worked great though. Just keep driving it and like rubiDave said wash board roads are your friend right now...haha. Also if you have any windy mountain roads those will help too.
jesse, yes you explain exactly what it feels like to drive after the new installation of the ball joints. Right now I have about 600 miles on them and they are about 80% there. Some days it feels almost normal then it may start to feel a little flighty again but not as bad as when I first Installed them. You are right about not letting anyone drive it as it felt very dangerous. Thanks again for your reply. Will keep you informed as to how long this works itself out to feeling normal.

Top Bottom