Bad balljoint question

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So I finally got my jeep back after a shop installed hydro assist for me and they straightened out the steering the best they could ect. I take it to an alignment shop to put it on a rack just to make sure everything is squared away. The steering wheel looks off but drives straight, it does pull a little but it's always done that since I bought it. The shop I took it to said the ball joint on the left side is bad and the unit bearing on the right is bad. The numbers on the rack were in line from what they told me, never saw a sheet and didn't press it since it was free. My question is will a bad ball joint make the steering wheel not centered? That's basically what the tech told me but I wasn't sure that sounded right. I don't mind getting this fixed if it's the real issue but my light is also on and wasn't before the hydro install, this normal? I know how to move the steering wheel to straighten it but don't want to mess anything up.
Thanks for any help guys.
20200420_162632.jpg
20200420_162647.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Centering the steering should fix the traction control issue, but as far as the ball joints & unit bearings causing it to be that far off seems hard to believe

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

USMC Wrangler

Centering the steering should fix the traction control issue, but as far as the ball joints & unit bearings causing it to be that far off seems hard to believe

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Agreed ^^^

My lower ball joints were toast when I changed them last year, as were both unit bearings. The steering wheel never was that far off. Not even close.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Okay thanks. Didn't think that was right. I'll straighten it tonight and see how it does.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So I finally got my jeep back after a shop installed hydro assist for me and they straightened out the steering the best they could ect. I take it to an alignment shop to put it on a rack just to make sure everything is squared away. The steering wheel looks off but drives straight, it does pull a little but it's always done that since I bought it. The shop I took it to said the ball joint on the left side is bad and the unit bearing on the right is bad. The numbers on the rack were in line from what they told me, never saw a sheet and didn't press it since it was free. My question is will a bad ball joint make the steering wheel not centered? That's basically what the tech told me but I wasn't sure that sounded right. I don't mind getting this fixed if it's the real issue but my light is also on and wasn't before the hydro install, this normal? I know how to move the steering wheel to straighten it but don't want to mess anything up.
Thanks for any help guys.
View attachment 345756
View attachment 345757

Damn, that’s odd that you got it back with the wheel that far off. Centering the steering wheel is like the easiest part of an alignment. It’s super analog. You’re just lengthening or shortening the drag link to push or pull the pitman arm and change the position of the steering wheel. Doing so definitely won’t affect the ball joints. All of this was learned from Wayoflife’s DIY alignment thread. Good luck!

On another note, let us know how that hydro improves your steering. Does it make it tighter feeling? Just curious. Never driven a rig with hydro assist.

EDIT: If you need new ball joints, don’t hesitate to change them! I regret waiting 6 months. These Dynatrac Prosteers have tightened things up incredibly

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Top Bottom