Back Country Skiing Thread

sm31

I'm a long time downhill skier & former ski patroller but I've never given the back country thing a solid try... until now. Although technically I guess I still haven't. Lol... The mountains around here are already covered, so I'm hoping to get my first turns within 2 or 3 weeks.

Since I live in the middle of back country heaven, I figured it was time to remedy the situation. I'm waiting on the arrival of my new LaSportiva tech boots, BD climbing skins (going on my DPS Wailer 106's), and a set of Atomic "Shift" bindings since I still want to be able to use these skis with my alpine boots. The gear should be here in a couple of days and I'll post pics, first impressions, etc.

As a total noob at this, I thought I'd start the thread to catalog my experiences & hopefully hit up some advice from other back country skiers that are probably lurking on the forum... 🍺

WJCO

Meme King
I've never done backcountry skiing but I've done many backcountry hiking, climbing, and camping trips. Survival, preparedness, and 'planning on spending the night' are key. Anything can happen out there. Just make sure you have 72 hours or so worth of supplies in your pack including a decent shovel.

jeeeep

Hooked
seems like a lifetime ago since I've been downhill or backcountry skiing.

For backcountry, friends and I always hit the 1st snowfall usually with skis we didn't give a crap about since the covering was 4" or less, then took out the better sets once the pack increased but still before the resorts opened. Climbing skins were known as snake skins and well, yeah, everything about the sport now makes me feel like a dinosaur lol

Rule #1 Never go alone, let people know where you plan to ski, carry a beacon (much more common these days) and make sure it's freshly charged but as a former ski patroller you know the importance of that.

decent shovel, lightweight but functional survival gear.

I carried extra gloves, socks, extra layer, sweat sucks and sucks worse when it's the end of the day, you're wet and you're a ways from the car.

Other than that, I'm sure there is plenty of online info about what to pack and other tips.

sm31

Thanks guys!!! Great advice on the safety gear for sure. Jeeeep, it's never too late to get back at it! I'm no spring chicken for sure. 😅

I have a beacon but I need a probe & shovel too. When I was patrolling I thought about getting an avi pack but never got around to it. I'm not planning to go past 30 degrees or so at first but not sure what I'll encounter out there so I haven't ruled it out yet.

So many gear options out there... and so much cool lightweight stuff but it gets really pricey!

Jsouder53

Hooked
Lots of good advice regarding the preparedness! Being a ski patroller, I’m guessing you have your avalanche safety courses?

It’s been years since I’ve out backcountry skiing, that was with NOLS 11 years ago. I plan to eventually get another setup, I just got a pair of Full Tilt Ascendant boots and they are ready for pin bindings. I ski out of bounds a lot so I have the probe, shovel and beacon (haven’t gotten an avi pack yet). With the little ones around now I don’t plan on pushing the limits for a while lol

I can’t wait to get back out on the mountain!

sm31

Same here Jsouder53!

Avalanche training is strange... I did my courses in WY, and did quite a bit of mitigation there (mostly slumps) due to the wind. Lol... but I patrolled here in AK for a couple of seasons (then got burned out on it) & found myself sort of confused a lot of the time. The snow here is just... different. I'll probably take another course locally just to get their take on the conditions.

I am encouraged to see that some of the back country gear is at least a little cheaper than it used to be!

Jsouder53

Hooked
Same here Jsouder53!

Avalanche training is strange... I did my courses in WY, and did quite a bit of mitigation there (mostly slumps) due to the wind. Lol... but I patrolled here in AK for a couple of seasons (then got burned out on it) & found myself sort of confused a lot of the time. The snow here is just... different. I'll probably take another course locally just to get their take on the conditions.

I am encouraged to see that some of the back country gear is at least a little cheaper than it used to be!
The training is strange and I can imagine changes per location. Is the snow in AK wet and dense due to being somewhat close to the coast depending on location?

sm31

The training is strange and I can imagine changes per location. Is the snow in AK wet and dense due to being somewhat close to the coast depending on location?

That's what I expected but it surprised me... It's not consistently wet & heavy. This place is capable of dumping just about any kind of snow in the book, and all within the same week. Maybe it's the low temps but I've been surprised at how good the powder is (when it's powder). Note that it's nothing like the champagne we get in WY or UT and it's a bit heavier than CO but definitely better than the crap out east.

A confusing aspect to the weather here are these weird temp spikes that happen sometimes. We'll stay around 0 for weeks, then suddenly the temp randomly spikes to 45 degrees in like a 10 mile area for 6 hours... and back down to 0. Even though the mountain is 5 miles away, the thermometer at my house might not even budge. Makes for a slick layer of snow or even ice. Then more fluff falls on that, or maybe something heavier, and it's an avalanche party. I live a half mile from Walmart and I've been able to hear the cannons from my house.

Just tons of variety to the snow, and I certainly need to get on my game with it. Someone nearby dies in an avalanche every year... and sometimes they are very experienced & well prepared. Seems like AK always finds a way to bump up the danger level a notch or 2. Lol...

sm31

Just got these in the mail a bit ago. I'm impressed with how stiff they are... probably around 110 in ski mode but I'm guessing they'll break in and settle around 90 or 100. I'll be happy with 100 even though I'd prefer 120+... but can't have it all.

20221102_164122.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked
That's what I expected but it surprised me... It's not consistently wet & heavy. This place is capable of dumping just about any kind of snow in the book, and all within the same week. Maybe it's the low temps but I've been surprised at how good the powder is (when it's powder). Note that it's nothing like the champagne we get in WY or UT and it's a bit heavier than CO but definitely better than the crap out east.

A confusing aspect to the weather here are these weird temp spikes that happen sometimes. We'll stay around 0 for weeks, then suddenly the temp randomly spikes to 45 degrees in like a 10 mile area for 6 hours... and back down to 0. Even though the mountain is 5 miles away, the thermometer at my house might not even budge. Makes for a slick layer of snow or even ice. Then more fluff falls on that, or maybe something heavier, and it's an avalanche party. I live a half mile from Walmart and I've been able to hear the cannons from my house.

Just tons of variety to the snow, and I certainly need to get on my game with it. Someone nearby dies in an avalanche every year... and sometimes they are very experienced & well prepared. Seems like AK always finds a way to bump up the danger level a notch or 2. Lol...
The weather and types of snow sounds crazy… certainly a recipe for avalanches. Sounds like AK likes to push the limits with the danger levels.

There is one mountain near me where someone gets seriously injured or dies at least once a year from avalanches. The snow at Bridger Bowl is called cold smoke because of how dry it is, but there will be a 3 foot snow storm once a year and people will hike out of bounds into an avalanche haven when there are plenty of fresh turns on in bound hikes.

I’ve never skied in WY, but I can imagine the snow is very similar to MT. It’s a dream of mine to ski Jackson Hole or Grand Targhee.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Just got these in the mail a bit ago. I'm impressed with how stiff they are... probably around 110 in ski mode but I'm guessing they'll break in and settle around 90 or 100. I'll be happy with 100 even though I'd prefer 120+... but can't have it all.

View attachment 381363
I’ve never used La Sportiva boots, you’ll have to let me know how you like them! My boots are between 90 - 100 as well which is decent but leaves a little to be desired.

sm31

I always wanted to ski in MT! I'm sure conditions are probably identical to WY. I love Red Lodge but never got a chance to ski there. Hope the flooding didn't do too much damage.

I really enjoy little "mom & pop" resorts... and my favorite one is a place called Meadowlark, about 20 miles west of Buffalo WY on hwy 16. Other than that, Grand Targhee rocks! IMO it has the most consistent snow of any resort in the rockies... not quite as dry but still great. Snows so much you're lucky to get a clear day some seasons. We stay in Driggs... and the whole thing costs about 80% less than Jackson Hole. (at least it seems like it)

Jsouder53

Hooked
I love skiing at Big Sky even though it’s been getting busier and busier every year. The flooding did quite a bit of damage last I heard, I’m not certain how the town is currently.

Bridger Bowl is a fun mom and pop resort, but the college students over run it and you’d be standing in a lift line for a half hour at times.

I’ll be certain to get down to Targhee one of these days! Sounds phenomenal! It’s only about a 4 hour drive for me.

jeeeep

Hooked
Grand Targhee does rock, ended up there by accident when I took a wrong turn on the way to Jackson Hole lol
Turned out to be one of the best powder days ever!

Jsouder53

Hooked
Grand Targhee does rock, ended up there by accident when I took a wrong turn on the way to Jackson Hole lol
Turned out to be one of the best powder days ever!
That’s quite the accident lol good thing you still ended up skiing! 😂

jeeeep

Hooked
That’s quite the accident lol good thing you still ended up skiing! 😂
it was and lucky we were able to find room!

:unsure: that feeling according to the map (paper map) that you should have arrived at your destination then see a sign Grand Targhee xx miles, check the map and ohhhh 😂

sm31

Lol! Those are the kind of "mistakes" I love. I don't know why the place isn't more famous! I guess it's in the "shadow" of JH & maybe the mountains don't look quite so spectacular from that side... BUT all the weather systems come in from the west, and the Targee side scrapes off 90% of the snow!

Here are the next 2 elements of my project:

BD Ascension skins. They're full nylon, so they're kinda chunky compared to mohair... but as a rooky, I expect to be "unkind" to my equipment on occasion.

20221103_162624.jpg

Atomic/Salomon (they're the same) Shift MNC 10 bindings. Thought about the 13's but I don't even have my alpine bindings set past 10. My knees are good and I plan to keep them that way. I'm putting the bindings on my DPS Wailer 106's (177 cm). It's an alpine ski so it isn't nearly as light as the twitchy touring skis are but they aren't too awful heavy, and they definitely ski better, so it's a compromise I'm happy to make (with my zero experience). Ask me again at the top of the mountain... 🙄

20221103_162758.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked
Lol! Those are the kind of "mistakes" I love. I don't know why the place isn't more famous! I guess it's in the "shadow" of JH & maybe the mountains don't look quite so spectacular from that side... BUT all the weather systems come in from the west, and the Targee side scrapes off 90% of the snow!

Here are the next 2 elements of my project:

BD Ascension skins. They're full nylon, so they're kinda chunky compared to mohair... but as a rooky, I expect to be "unkind" to my equipment on occasion.

View attachment 381433

Atomic/Salomon (they're the same) Shift MNC 10 bindings. Thought about the 13's but I don't even have my alpine bindings set past 10. My knees are good and I plan to keep them that way. I'm putting the bindings on my DPS Wailer 106's (177 cm). It's an alpine ski so it isn't nearly as light as the twitchy touring skis are but they aren't too awful heavy, and they definitely ski better, so it's a compromise I'm happy to make (with my zero experience). Ask me again at the top of the mountain... 🙄

View attachment 381434
That’s looking like it will be a good setup! DPS skis will be perfect I bet. I can’t imagine the weight difference will be too much. Those skins look wider than 106, unless it is just the picture. The 10s are probably smart choice especially in the back country… no easy way out.

sm31

That’s looking like it will be a good setup! DPS skis will be perfect I bet. I can’t imagine the weight difference will be too much. Those skins look wider than 106, unless it is just the picture. The 10s are probably smart choice especially in the back country… no easy way out.

The skins come sort of one size fits all in terms of width. Just specify the length... They come with what is basically a jumped up letter opener, and instructions on how to trim them to fit your skis. I think some other brands may come with better trimming tools but I haven't heard any complaints about this one.

20221103_173223.jpg

sm31

Got the bindings installed today & managed to not poke any holes all the way through my skis... 😅

57755.jpeg

Really impressed with these "shift" bindings. They weigh about half what my old Marker bindings did but I don't feel like I'm going to give up much performance, if any. And the versatility is just super cool. In this setting, I'm in backcountry "walk" mode:

57760.jpeg

There is also a lever on the back that flips up the brakes for "walk" mode. Flip this other lever and now I can use these bindings with regular alpine boots:

57761.jpeg

Top Bottom