Asfir Aluminum Armor

CalSgt

Hooked
Yup, the factory skid plates worked great to protect everything that needed protection on this trail (y)
I was totally sold on needing skid plates before finding this site…. I liked Eddies theory on stock component’s and only replacing what is known not to survive, meanwhile interweb whores were pimping Patagonia tires, oil catch cans, and anything metalcloak or teraflex they could get their hands on.
I’ve beat the absolute shit out of the factory skids and they’re still under the Jeep doing their job. Only thing I added was an oil pan / transmission skid & there isn’t one covering that from the factory. Beat the shit out of it too, it had to be straightened before I reinstalled it last time.

CalSgt

Hooked
How much work is it to remove the mangled/deformed skids when you need to make a trail repair? What do you do when the skid detaches and catches on a rock?

Some of these aluminum skid systems look great when they are first installed, but what do they look like after actual use?
Removing factory skids… No problem

Re-installing them after they have been beaten on and deformed is a different story all together

CalSgt

Hooked
Differential skids are cheap and look cool and so I'm totally for getting them. Are they needed? No. Well, unless you're a dumbass that likes to aim right for big ass rocks down the middle of your Jeep and bash into them as hard as you can. Then, maybe they're needed.

Nope…. (y) (y)

I’m the dumbass with thumbs pointing at me, I’m the guy with the least clearance in my group. I’m the one who always gets hung up on my diffs. I’ve considered diff skids if only to protect my investment but have ended up spending money elsewhere. The ribs on my diffs are worn down and gnarled but no legitimate damage yet. But what do I know, I’m just the dumbass driving way out of my comfort zone whenever I get a chance

All my factory skids are holding up pretty well. Will need to replace some bolts where the skids are bolted to the frame-rail pretty soon before they’re impossible to remove. Gas tank skid had seen better days. At some point i want to drop the tank, strap it up to the frame somehow so I can take of the tank skid easier next time. Still waiting on EVO to come up with a fix for my ProTek tranny skid…doesn’t work on a 2021 because the motor mounts are different. Aside from the horrendous noise the cross-members make across the rocks, I’m happy with them.

Ungust

I run steel armor on my JKUR. Aluminum skids will save you gas money and make your rig lighter. However , aluminum skids are more expensive and much less forgiving of rocks and other immovable obstacles.
Also aluminum does not have the same structural integrity or properties that steel does, One hit on a rock and your aluminum skids will suffer far more damage than a steel one will. Aluminum deforms easily and over time it will oxidize to the point where it will start to break away in chunks.
And yes, aircraft use a lot of aluminum in their construction. But it is not the same quality aluminum that is available to JEEPERs at a reasonable price. It also does not have the same wear and abrasion resistance that steel does.
If weight is that much of a concern, you could try drilling/cutting small lightening holes in your skid plates.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I run steel armor on my JKUR. Aluminum skids will save you gas money and make your rig lighter. However , aluminum skids are more expensive and much less forgiving of rocks and other immovable obstacles.
Also aluminum does not have the same structural integrity or properties that steel does, One hit on a rock and your aluminum skids will suffer far more damage than a steel one will. Aluminum deforms easily and over time it will oxidize to the point where it will start to break away in chunks.
And yes, aircraft use a lot of aluminum in their construction. But it is not the same quality aluminum that is available to JEEPERs at a reasonable price. It also does not have the same wear and abrasion resistance that steel does.
If weight is that much of a concern, you could try drilling/cutting small lightening holes in your skid plates.
I’d like to see proof of your claims.

Ungust

You can successfully drill lightening holes in things like skid plates, the bottoms of steel bumpers and most any where else you can think of, without compromising the protection of your armor. Just remember: not too many holes, not too close together, and lastly not too big! Also do not drill holes in any part of the vehicle that is supposed to be rigid in the flat plane. In other words, not in an area where the flat plane of the armor is vertical to the ground. Think your front skid plate, underneath would not be a problem unless you drill too many holes or they are too big. You do not want to drill holes in the parts of skid plates that are perpendicular to the ground.
I am an aircraft mechanic and I see these in every airplane that I have every worked on. All in all : your skid plates should look like a manhole cover. Not your screen door.
But, one last caveat: you will most likely void the warranty ( if any) on your skids by drilling them.

Spazbyt

Hooked
I'm sick of all these drill bit sales man coming on here and trying to peddle their wares. "Did you know you can drill holes in everything?" "That's right, drilling holes is fast, easy and fun" "Everything is better with holes!"

Aceisback

Hooked
So all jokes, feelings, and thoughts aside. It is what it is and may have been a waste of my money but like everyone likes to say, to each his own.
Nice little chore day coming up. IMG_9846.jpeg IMG_9847.jpeg Shipped from Israel on the 1st and arrived yesterday evening (5th) via DHL.

So all jokes, feelings, and thoughts aside. It is what it is and may have been a waste of my money but like everyone likes to say, to each his own.
Nice little chore day coming up. View attachment 390494 View attachment 390495 Shipped from Israel on the 1st and arrived yesterday evening (5th) via DHL.
Looks like they already included drilled weight reduction holes for you!

Congrats on your new parts! 👍🏼

3VOLVE

Caught the Bug
I purchased the Asfir oil pan skid for my 2019 JLUR. Received it within several days of ordering and install it before a trip to Raush Creek in PA. While it may have dented easily, I am thankful I had some protection, better than nothing,
1707701923926.jpeg

Top Bottom