Asfir Aluminum Armor

GCM 2

What's everybody's thoughts on Asfir under body armor/skids? My 22.5 gallon fuel tank is down to 18 gallons.

These guys are down the road from me in Scottsdale. I have talked with them over the years at the Overland Expo, but have never actually visited the shop. Its really great looking kit for the underside of the jeep, however here is my reasoning for not running it on my very heavy rig;
- I ran aluminum skids on my old TJ/tube buggy and it was a little too sacrificial on the rocks. The TJ was probably 1200+ pounds lighter than my JK and it still wore that aluminum down quickly. It deformed very quickly, and very badly.
- It did not slide on and over stuff as well as steel. Aluminum is known to "grab" on to rocks, this is were I said it was too sacrificial, when a rock gouged it, it really gouged it deep. Thereby "grabbing" on to it.

I would say it is a personal choice. For me it just could not withstand the abuse I hit it with. I think on a really light race buggie, or something that people want protection on because their vehicle did not come with it, and more importantly they will really not abuse it, it might be the right choice. Aluminum is really expensive too. I think Aluminum quarter armor, evap skid, oilpan skid might be sufficient, but the full underbody skid packages are not for me.

Aceisback

Hooked
I know this is a very old thread to revive but here goes.
So how have everyone’s thoughts changed regarding 1/4 inch aluminum skids, specifically the Asfir ones?
There are very lengthy threads on some of the other Jeep and Gladiator forums and folks are more than satisfied with them, and particularly the cost compared to some of the more popular brand names.
I’m waiting on a response from them as to their GLADIATORStrong 15% discount and whether or not it’s going to be revived for a Memorial Day sale.
I know they are in Israel but a previous communication with them they said they would give me a 5% Military discount. I need something to at least cover California taxes before I hit complete transaction.
Let’s hear the thoughts on those with experience.👍

So how have everyone’s thoughts changed regarding 1/4 inch aluminum skids, specifically the Asfir ones?
There are very lengthy threads on some of the other Jeep and Gladiator forums and folks are more than satisfied with them, and particularly the cost compared to some of the more popular brand names.
I’m waiting on a response from them as to their GLADIATORStrong 15% discount and whether or not it’s going to be revived for a Memorial Day sale.
I know they are in Israel but a previous communication with them they said they would give me a 5% Military discount. I need something to at least cover California taxes before I hit complete transaction.
How much work is it to remove the mangled/deformed skids when you need to make a trail repair? What do you do when the skid detaches and catches on a rock?

Some of these aluminum skid systems look great when they are first installed, but what do they look like after actual use?

Aceisback

Hooked
Yeah, right. I thought he was here just to repost memes! 😂
Nope, here to learn, take advice/give advice, enjoy experiences/share experiences, and share the camaraderie of the Jeep life. Just like everyone else here.
I do enjoy the occasional meme just like everyone else also.
Have an awesome day.

Make sure that your armor can handle stuff like this:

I am sure that a moderator will fix this if I did something wrong. 😀

Think we talked about these before as I had a customer with them. As these will work, I personally hate aftermarket skids for multiple reasons,
A) Waste of money
B) Stock skids that come on the Jeep work very well.
C) They make inspecting/repairing parts, especially on the trail, a nightmare
D) They trap and hide leaks you might have.
E) They trap a lot of heat

Honestly save your money and apply it elsewhere such as drivetrain/suspension.
The only skid I would even consider would just be an oil pan skid.

Aceisback

Hooked
Is this company in Arizona or Israel? Maybe Arizona 10 years ago, Israel now?
Asfir was founded 36 years ago in a small farmers' village right below Nazareth mountains and looking over Mt. Tabor in northern Israel.

ASFIR started as a small family business to become what it is today – a global off-road vehicle accessories manufacturer. After discharge from military service with the Israeli Special Forces, ASFIR founders decided to use the experience and knowledge they acquired during their service and apply it to a big love in life – off-roading and traveling in Israel.

This is how Asfir 4x4 came to be. Based on lifelong experience, knowledge, and deep understanding of the off-roading driving needs Asfir develops and models its products to be the best product needed – both functionally and economically.

The integration of the expert departments at ASFIR: research & development, production, import & export, service, and sales creates a unique human mixture, which contributes to the company’s innovation and professionalism.

The company's plant is equipped with the latest machinery and advanced technology, including specially built dedicated machines, which enable the company's development team to design and produce a considerable variety of products. ASFIR leads the Israeli off-road accessories market for over 35 years with in-house engineering design and manufacturing.

Our skid-plates are made from 1/4" quality aluminum and laser cut for accuracy. We design our skids so that no drilling, welding, or cutting is required. Being a tailor-made mass-production company, we have the experience to manufacture top-quality products to fit your car perfectly.

We work under the close supervision of the Israeli Standard Institute & Ministry of Transportation and uphold the highest quality standard ISO 9001:2015.

We deliver our Israeli-made products all over the world directly from Israel via our online shop at asfir.com. Don't see your home country on our list? Contact us and we'll do our best to find a solution.

Think we talked about these before as I had a customer with them. As these will work, I personally hate aftermarket skids for multiple reasons,
A) Waste of money
B) Stock skids that come on the Jeep work very well.
C) They make inspecting/repairing parts, especially on the trail, a nightmare
D) They trap and hide leaks you might have.
E) They trap a lot of heat

Honestly save your money and apply it elsewhere such as drivetrain/suspension.
The only skid I would even consider would just be an oil pan skid.
Interesting and good timing on this revival I was shopping Memorial Day sales for skids systems! LOl I definitely want to add one for the oil pan but was getting sucked into the whole system

Asfir was founded 36 years ago in a small farmers' village right below Nazareth mountains and looking over Mt. Tabor in northern Israel.

ASFIR started as a small family business to become what it is today – a global off-road vehicle accessories manufacturer. After discharge from military service with the Israeli Special Forces, ASFIR founders decided to use the experience and knowledge they acquired during their service and apply it to a big love in life – off-roading and traveling in Israel.

This is how Asfir 4x4 came to be. Based on lifelong experience, knowledge, and deep understanding of the off-roading driving needs Asfir develops and models its products to be the best product needed – both functionally and economically.

The integration of the expert departments at ASFIR: research & development, production, import & export, service, and sales creates a unique human mixture, which contributes to the company’s innovation and professionalism.

The company's plant is equipped with the latest machinery and advanced technology, including specially built dedicated machines, which enable the company's development team to design and produce a considerable variety of products. ASFIR leads the Israeli off-road accessories market for over 35 years with in-house engineering design and manufacturing.

Our skid-plates are made from 1/4" quality aluminum and laser cut for accuracy. We design our skids so that no drilling, welding, or cutting is required. Being a tailor-made mass-production company, we have the experience to manufacture top-quality products to fit your car perfectly.

We work under the close supervision of the Israeli Standard Institute & Ministry of Transportation and uphold the highest quality standard ISO 9001:2015.

We deliver our Israeli-made products all over the world directly from Israel via our online shop at asfir.com. Don't see your home country on our list? Contact us and we'll do our best to find a solution.

Jesus dude I was trying to get a little dialogue goin on the forum. I could have googled all that.

I would prefer US made skids.

Top Bottom