Are these drop brackets?

Whiskeyjack

I bought a 2011 JK in 2013, so for that period I don't know what was done to it, I was looking at the rear and this stood out to me as after market, but I'd like to consult the experienced people.

The Jeep had a 6" lift, and I'm now at 2.5". If this is a spacer/drop, can I take it off?

Attachments

• 20210625_210445.jpg
    20210625_210445.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 52

Whiskeyjack

Uhhh. sketch.
I thought so? This is my first Jeep, and I think I've learned a lot since owning it. In the last 10 years I think I've fixed a lot of the problems the original owner made, but this one is a complete question for me. As far as I know, the rear trackbar bracket should mount directly to the frame, I see no reason why there would be an OEM spacer, so I expect that this is a drop bracket. I think I can get rid of it, but I don't know what the effect of that might be.

JKbrick

It was a cheap alternative to replacing the sway bar end links with longer ones, which is what you want to do to get your sway bar in the correct position

CalSgt

Hooked
My coilovers kit came with similar sway bar drop brackets but the axle droops out so far that even with long links it still needed them.

jack your Jeep up by the frame (or using jack stands) and let the axle droop all the way down, your links shouldn’t be too close to parallel with the sway bar. If at full droop there is still lots of angle between the links and bar ends you can probably get rid of them.

Whiskeyjack

The swaybar drop bracket saga continues. I don't know how I didn't notice, I guess I just wasn't expecting it and never looked, but the front had spacers as well... pulled them off today. Now I'm gonna be paranoid and look for any other cheap shit that was added to save money.

20210629_172457.jpg

Whiskeyjack

Atleast those look somewhat engineered and sturdy. Those other ones though, sheesh.
Yeah these were pretty stout, look like they came in a manufactured kit. Still got rid of them, but I didn't have a "oh fuck this coulda failed" moment when I took them off. The included bolts were a little worse for wear, probably substandard, certainly not grade 8 or better, but otherwise it was fine.

The rears... I haven't touched them yet, still need new links to sort it out properly, and they weren't available in time for my trip this week, so it'll happen a little later.

Whiskeyjack

if it had 6" of lift I'd look for any other "spacers" added to correct for that much lift
Any tips on what to look at, specifically? Aside from the spacers I've already mentioned, I can't "see" anything else that doesn't seem to belong, but just as I missed these, I'm probably missing others.

Top Bottom