Anyone self quarantined? AKA - the 2020 SH!T SHOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuboske

^^^^
"if you wear two, masks, we will never be friends. You are not welcome at my house".
That's hilarious.

I think all the fearful, Fauci, followers should just go for the ultimate protection. Just wrap their entire bodies in heavy plastic wrap, and tape up any possible ways, outside air might get in.

WJCO

Meme King
I really like this lady's speech. So many in Congress don't because she exposes how messed up our government and media really is.

JKbrick

I just replaced the geothermal unit, in my house, last fall. Of 5 heating/cooling, contractors, I called, only two even called me back. I'm guessing the others were so covered up with work, they didn't want any more on their plate. I always call anyone that contacts me, back. Even if I don't have time, I at least tell them that.
I think there are huge opportunities for young men with real skills to succeed.
My son, after going to college for a law enforcement degree, now, has little interest in pursuing that line of work. (Who would?)
He has a good job, but, has found that the union will on the job, train guys to be electricians. He is exploring that idea.
We need a whole lot more , trade school people, and a whole lot fewer, university, grads.
P.S. The HVAC, guy that did my geo, drove 55 miles, one way to the job.

Yes I believe there are great opportunities for future work in the trades, I lost a guy two summers ago to a larger company that offered him more than I can even pay myself as an owner to go work for them. I too try to call everyone back that calls me, last year was such an exceptionally busy time I don’t know that I even got everyone called back to tell them I didn’t have time to work for them

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
My clients, for the most part, are all “ultra millionaires”. Almost all of them are first generation millionaires or billionaires. My most wealthy client put himself through Stanford living in the back of his car for two years. I’ve learned a tremendous about from these guys hearing them tell stories of how their backs were against the ropes and the only thing that got them through it was shear perseverance. The tenacity these men have is insane. That drive to work harder than anyone else around them and to do the things that no one else could do or dream of is how these guys have created what they have done. Has luck played a part in it, sure, but in all cases with these guys, if circumstances didn’t go the way they want, they find a way to change the circumstances. It has nothing to do with money or education. It’s all drive. Most of these guys were not Harvard grads, and a couple of them never went to college. They fought tooth and nail to create a better life themselves.

For the most part, that’s were I see the greatest loss in this country. People are complacent and content to take what is given to them. This country was created by people that were fed up with their lives in Europe and risked it all, literally, to come here and create a better life for themselves and their families.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I'm breaking my promise not to post in this thread...I'll do this just this once...so I apologize beforehand.

I've known several successful entrepreneur's in my lifetime, and they all have a couple traits in common, and one of the most prominent amongst them is the incredible desire to succeed...at all cost. That includes everything, whether it's business, sports, music etc...even a "friendly" game of poker. I grew up relatively poor (although I didn't know it at the time), but always wanted to be the the very best at what ever I decided to do. I came to Hawaii in the 70's to visit my mom before going to college. Within the first week of my visit, I did my first free dive off the cliffs of the south shore of Oahu, which dramatically altered my life's trajectory. I decided to defer going to college for a year; then became involved with some locals and started as a commercial diver spearfisherman., and never went to college...I thought to myself at the time, "what could possibly be a better job than diving and spearing fish for a living"...and I was real good at it. I could spear $400 cash worth of fish in a day, which was good coin back then. After a couple years doing this, I realized this was not sustainable...and having been bit several times by large moray eels, fending off sharks trying to eat your stringer before you can get back to the boat, pulling urchin spines out of my forehead trying to grab lobsters from their holes in the surge, not to mention having to go out in 6-8 foot seas because you needed the money to pay the rent and buy food...I began to think I should do something else.

Long story short...started my own business servicing scuba equipment...expanded to include employees...started consultation biz in the same industry...branched out by writing and teaching service education programs for scuba manufacturers. My industry went through an incredible growth period, followed by a massive contraction. Fortunately I was in a position to invest outside of the industry, and was convinced by my wife to retire early. I offered to sell my business to my lead tech who was with me for 10 years...the offer was very reasonable, and offered an interest free note for 3 years, and would stay on for two years as a consultant at no charge. He turned me down. He told me he didn't want to turn into me...working 70 hours a week, worrying how to make payroll, pay vendors, collect money from delinquent accounts, etc...he knew that I always paid my employees first, vendors second, lease and utilities third...and always myself last. So I found employment for all my employees at their current wage or better, sold off the hard assets of the biz...and closed the doors. Even a decade later, I still pay the registration fees for all the various business entities that I owned just so no one else can claim my business names. I've turned down lucrative offers over the years for just the name of my main business. I still occasionally attend my industry's trade shows to say hi to old friends...and in the back of my mind, I have always regretted closing the doors, and have schemed to get back in, because I miss the game...but then my wife slaps me in the head and says "don't even think about it...

Being an entrepreneur can be very rewarding...but it's not for everyone.

CalSgt

Hooked
I'm breaking my promise not to post in this thread...I'll do this just this once...so I apologize beforehand.

I've known several successful entrepreneur's in my lifetime, and they all have a couple traits in common, and one of the most prominent amongst them is the incredible desire to succeed...at all cost. That includes everything, whether it's business, sports, music etc...even a "friendly" game of poker. I grew up relatively poor (although I didn't know it at the time), but always wanted to be the the very best at what ever I decided to do. I came to Hawaii in the 70's to visit my mom before going to college. Within the first week of my visit, I did my first free dive off the cliffs of the south shore of Oahu, which dramatically altered my life's trajectory. I decided to defer going to college for a year; then became involved with some locals and started as a commercial diver spearfisherman., and never went to college...I thought to myself at the time, "what could possibly be a better job than diving and spearing fish for a living"...and I was real good at it. I could spear $400 cash worth of fish in a day, which was good coin back then. After a couple years doing this, I realized this was not sustainable...and having been bit several times by large moray eels, fending off sharks trying to eat your stringer before you can get back to the boat, pulling urchin spines out of my forehead trying to grab lobsters from their holes in the surge, not to mention having to go out in 6-8 foot seas because you needed the money to pay the rent and buy food...I began to think I should do something else.

Long story short...started my own business servicing scuba equipment...expanded to include employees...started consultation biz in the same industry...branched out by writing and teaching service education programs for scuba manufacturers. My industry went through an incredible growth period, followed by a massive contraction. Fortunately I was in a position to invest outside of the industry, and was convinced by my wife to retire early. I offered to sell my business to my lead tech who was with me for 10 years...the offer was very reasonable, and offered an interest free note for 3 years, and would stay on for two years as a consultant at no charge. He turned me down. He told me he didn't want to turn into me...working 70 hours a week, worrying how to make payroll, pay vendors, collect money from delinquent accounts, etc...he knew that I always paid my employees first, vendors second, lease and utilities third...and always myself last. So I found employment for all my employees at their current wage or better, sold off the hard assets of the biz...and closed the doors. Even a decade later, I still pay the registration fees for all the various business entities that I owned just so no one else can claim my business names. I've turned down lucrative offers over the years for just the name of my main business. I still occasionally attend my industry's trade shows to say hi to old friends...and in the back of my mind, I have always regretted closing the doors, and have schemed to get back in, because I miss the game...but then my wife slaps me in the head and says "don't even think about it...

Well said Mr. Brute

Primo82

Caught the Bug
^^^This^^^

I make less than 200k and consider myself a have. I live far better than I did growing up.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just to clarify a little bit on my position here. My definition of a 'have' is someone with the money, power, and connections to bend laws and regulations to their will. Which depends a lot the states they are in, but generally speaking I think 'fuck you' money starts when assets hit $100M+.

My wife and I combined make well over $300k, which puts us in the top 1% by income in Indiana. We pay our bills, kids go to a great school, save for kids colleges, save for our own retirement, etc. We've got some fun money leftover after all of that but we aren't buying a yacht in our lifetime, which I'm fine with. I also realize we are doing a lot better than a lot of people but there's no way the laws or regulations would give me special treatment if I wanted to start a business and needed one of them bent or overlooked...

In my opinion Epstein is the perfect example of what I would consider to be a 'Have' even though the sick son of a bitch died (good riddance to him).

Also, a former employer of mine in Indiana was the biggest privately held company in the state. They had a plant outside of a city, the city started annexation proceedings for a portion of the county which included the manufacturing facility. The company didn't want annexed by the city and was able to get the state government to pass an amendment on an unrelated bill to stop that specific annexation attempt. The city sued an the amendment was deemed unconstitutional about a year and a half later. Question is how many other property or business owners could have gotten the Indiana state legislature to ban a city from annexing territory, I'm guessing a handful in this state. That's 'have' money...

wjtstudios

Hooked

Well said, that’s the honest truth. It’s not an exaggeration that most can not and will not do what it takes to start a business. The risk, endless hours and stress, and the unknown make a very difficult choice to follow thru with especially if you are supporting a family. I started mine at 23 and that wasn’t a concern, but in truth, I would have done it anyway. The freedom and control knowing that the responsibility starts and ends with me, is the only way I could exist.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jesse3638

Hooked
For sure! That number was somewhat an arbitrary choice, but it is right on the cusp putting a family in the top 10% of families in the nation. The numbers get really crazy when you start talking about the top 1%.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Yeah I figured that number wasn't a hard line in the sand.
Just to clarify a little bit on my position here. My definition of a 'have' is someone with the money, power, and connections to bend laws and regulations to their will. Which depends a lot the states they are in, but generally speaking I think 'fuck you' money starts when assets hit $100M+.

My wife and I combined make well over $300k, which puts us in the top 1% by income in Indiana. We pay our bills, kids go to a great school, save for kids colleges, save for our own retirement, etc. We've got some fun money leftover after all of that but we aren't buying a yacht in our lifetime, which I'm fine with. I also realize we are doing a lot better than a lot of people but there's no way the laws or regulations would give me special treatment if I wanted to start a business and needed one of them bent or overlooked...

In my opinion Epstein is the perfect example of what I would consider to be a 'Have' even though the sick son of a bitch died (good riddance to him).

Also, a former employer of mine in Indiana was the biggest privately held company in the state. They had a plant outside of a city, the city started annexation proceedings for a portion of the county which included the manufacturing facility. The company didn't want annexed by the city and was able to get the state government to pass an amendment on an unrelated bill to stop that specific annexation attempt. The city sued an the amendment was deemed unconstitutional about a year and a half later. Question is how many other property or business owners could have gotten the Indiana state legislature to ban a city from annexing territory, I'm guessing a handful in this state. That's 'have' money...
I understood what you were talking about and agree with you. To me being a have is all in the eye of the beholder. The people with leverage to do these things have's are a lot different than my have's. Someone once said, "Money is the root of all evil" quite a bit of truth to that.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm breaking my promise not to post in this thread...I'll do this just this once...so I apologize beforehand......................
.......Being an entrepreneur can be very rewarding...but it's not for everyone.

Well said, that’s the honest truth. It’s not an exaggeration that most can not and will not do what it takes to start a business. The risk, endless hours and stress, and the unknown make a very difficult choice to follow thru with especially if you are supporting a family. I started mine at 23 and that wasn’t a concern, but in truth, I would have done it anyway. The freedom and control knowing that the responsibility starts and ends with me, is the only way I could exist.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

The sleepless nights, panic attacks, endless bills, and responsibilities are real downers, but on the flip side, the satisfaction of making it through those hard times is like a drug.

JKbrick

Yeah I figured that number wasn't a hard line in the sand.I understood what you were talking about and agree with you. To me being a have is all in the eye of the beholder. The people with leverage to do these things have's are a lot different than my have's. Someone once said, "Money is the root of all evil" quite a bit of truth to that.

There is a lot of truth in that statement, I’ve often told my friends if you take the money out of the equation to be an elected official nobody would want to do it except people who care about our country and it’s well being

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kuboske

I would fight city annexation, with everything I had, as well. City goverment loves to suck in all that extra tax revenue, without the corresponding need for as many services. Talk about a profit buster.
I would also, if possible, get as much property tax abatement as I could. But, then, I hate the idea of property taxes, for anyone. You never really own anything.

jeeeep

Hooked
I really like this lady's speech. So many in Congress don't because she exposes how messed up our government and media really is.

good speech...

of course none from the other side of the aisle will be held accountable for their similar actions...

duktrx

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I feel like I sold my soul when I abandoned my construction business in 2010. I broke my back in December of 2006 in a freak car accident and couldn't drive for 18 months; fortunately, I had enough work in the pipeline to keep my five employees busy while I was incapacitated. I always enjoyed being out in the field with my crew, but the realization that I could not keep up with my team broke me. I offered to sell to my crew, and they didn't want the headaches of running a business.

I have spent the last ten years in corporate life and feel hollow inside. While going for my MBA, I realized corporate life is not for me, and I have been chomping at the bit to venture out on my own. Hopeful of quenching the thirst this year if this shit show will end.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I feel like I sold my soul when I abandoned my construction business in 2010. I broke my back in December of 2006 in a freak car accident and couldn't drive for 18 months; fortunately, I had enough work in the pipeline to keep my five employees busy while I was incapacitated. I always enjoyed being out in the field with my crew, but the realization that I could not keep up with my team broke me. I offered to sell to my crew, and they didn't want the headaches of running a business.

I have spent the last ten years in corporate life and feel hollow inside. While going for my MBA, I realized corporate life is not for me, and I have been chomping at the bit to venture out on my own. Hopeful of quenching the thirst this year if this shit show will end.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I completely get it, I couldn’t imagine. Good luck with your venture!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom