Anyone running a wireless Apple Carplay adapter on their JT

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'm going to buy the Tuffy center console for the JT. I currently use the center console USB port for my phone and want to keep using that one instead of havong the Media cover open and using the one by the aux buttons. I was looking at this unit on Amazon, but wondering if anyone has run it or a similar one what has your experience been.

waynem

I have a similar one .. https://cplay2air.com .. it works well enough. Occasionally glitches out but just pulling the usb out and plugging it back fixes it. If there is a gotcha, at least on mine, its always on acting like a lower powered wifi hub. My phone will randomly connect to it while I'm in the garage which is slightly annoying.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I didn’t know those existed. Let us know how it works. That would be handy and get rid of the cord clutter.

CalSgt

Hooked
My console safe is a PIA to deal with for storing a phone... I ended up with a phone holder on the dash and just keep an 18" cord plugged in under the media cover perpetually. Since the cord is short my kids don't steal it which is nice.

1659720677044.png

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
I am running an Alpine ILX-407 Restyle - was thinking about the wireless car play - but i'd need it to charge as well so for now i have no problem just plugging it in (I didn't have the Uconnect - just the shitty base radio). IMG_0375.jpeg

DaveL

I bought a CarlinKit 4.0 dongle for the '22 Rubicon. Put it in. Bought it from amazon.ca

I've been disappointed.

I contacted the vendor. They say that the phone used to provide the signal cannot be connected to any device by bluetooth or wifi. It it is connected wth either of those two ways, it won't work.

My phone is paired to my bluetooth Phonak Hearing Aids, that are controlled by an APP on the phone.
My iWatch is connected too.

In a 15 minute drive it drops and resets about 3 times. In a highway 5 hour drive we unplugged the dongle after an hour or so.

Amazon has authorized return of the CarlinKit 4.0, and will pay me back in full.

Just letting you know. I can't recommend this device, unless you use your phone as the vendor described. No pairing to any other devices. No wifi connections.

Been a pain in....

onlyone

I have a car play 2 air on mine. I don’t use it anymore because I like the factory Nav better but it works great. I had it for my wife’s charger we no longer have.

Trail Bud

Hooked
My console safe is a PIA to deal with for storing a phone... I ended up with a phone holder on the dash and just keep an 18" cord plugged in under the media cover perpetually. Since the cord is short my kids don't steal it which is nice.

View attachment 377767
I noticed your phone mount. I have the same one that was mounted a the roll bar cage in my JK. How do you have you hooked up ?(part name would help) I like it by the center console. never knew they made stuff to hook up (install) like you have.
Thanks in advance.

CalSgt

Hooked
I noticed your phone mount. I have the same one that was mounted a the roll bar cage in my JK. How do you have you hooked up ?(part name would help) I like it by the center console. never knew they made stuff to hook up (install) like you have.
Thanks in advance.

Well sir, it’s a CMM grab bar ball mount (1” I think)

https://cmmoffroad.com/products/jl-jlu-grab-bar-ball-mount

with a RAM mount extension and RAM mount X grip (XL I think)

CMM sells it as a kit but I bought everything al a cart because they didn’t offer the kit when I bought it. I opted for a locking extension that requires a special key to adjust it to avoid it being swiped when I have the top off.

I also have a CMM 1” ball on the ‘A’ pillar with a short RAM mount extension and a universal RAM mount I zip tie my hand held race radio to.

Sorry I don’t remember all the part numbers

ETA link for RAM mount stuff, their website describes what size X grip fits which model phones

https://rammount.com/

DaveL

Heres the message from customer service at QuTu who sell the unit through amazon.ca

1​
product image
CarlinKit 4.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter Only for OEM Wired CarPlay Cars, Only Compatible with iPhone and Android Phones, Supports Wired to Wireless Car
ASIN: B0B1V3RZTN
Hello D
Thank you for your reply
Thank you for the information you provided to us.
Sorry, our device needs to be connected to the device's Bluetooth and WIFI signal in order to work.. If your hearing aid also needs to be connected via Bluetooth, there will be a con-flict.
If you would like to re-turn the device for a re-fund, you can contact Amazon's front desk for assistance, as our devices are managed and shipped by Amazon staff.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us and we will help you.
Best Wishes
Sandy

Trail Bud

Hooked
Well sir, it’s a CMM grab bar ball mount (1” I think)

https://cmmoffroad.com/products/jl-jlu-grab-bar-ball-mount

with a RAM mount extension and RAM mount X grip (XL I think)

CMM sells it as a kit but I bought everything al a cart because they didn’t offer the kit when I bought it. I opted for a locking extension that requires a special key to adjust it to avoid it being swiped when I have the top off.

I also have a CMM 1” ball on the ‘A’ pillar with a short RAM mount extension and a universal RAM mount I zip tie my hand held race radio to.

Sorry I don’t remember all the part numbers

ETA link for RAM mount stuff, their website describes what size X grip fits which model phones

https://rammount.com/
Thanks for the information.

Top Bottom