Airing Down Devices

p38

Caught the Bug
I have a set of auto-deflators, but they don't always hit the preset value. There are quite a few devices available, both auto and manual - which one would be the best?
Thank you

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I've had several deflators over the years. From cheap caps that screw on and depress the valve, to mechanically pre-set deflators, and now Power Tank Monster valves. I currently use the regular valve to attach the pressure gauge, and open the monster valve to deflate. Very quick.

I think any of the autopilot type valves are bound to have hiccups once in a while. I'd prefer something quick even if I have to be right there watching so I can close it up when it gets where I want it.

FFPulley77

Hooked
I’ve got this one and love it. But it’s all I’ve ever used, so nothing to really compare it with.
VIAIR 00032 Air Down Gauge 55FD874D-3C29-4BA4-AECE-A0B10C76975C.png

bmkrinne

I use my stopwatch to time the inflation. Takes 2 minutes 30 seconds to air up. Then fine tune with the gauge.

2011jk

I've had different ones and my Buds have many different ones but these beat them all Jantz J-Flatters.
Cheaper than the rest and extremely fast. I air down my 40's faster than most can air down their 35's

TrailSnail

I have the JT Brooks pro model auto deflators and I'm really happy with them after 2-3 years of using them at least once a month. Once dialed in they're very reliable. Not the fastest but definitely the easiest and most fool-proof deflators I've used, and I've had many.

CalSgt

Hooked
Still can’t beat basic.
View attachment 365911
That is the best core removal tool I've used yet, we used the same ones at both shops I worked at so I bought one to keep in the console of the jeep.

I did however order a set of the power tank monster valves this week, I guess money was burning a hole in my pocket. A buddy is giving me a powertank setup that just needs to have the tank re-certified so I figured I would give it a try.

p38

Caught the Bug
I've seen some of those power tank monster valve set ups. What are the pros and cons?

CalSgt

Hooked
I've seen some of those power tank monster valve set ups. What are the pros and cons?
For the valves:

Cons:
Expensive
had to drill and tap wheels

Pros:
Even without the powertank the tire does air up significantly faster from my garage air compressor
Airs down very fast
can set a gauge on the other stem while airing up or down to monitor progress

No real world experience with the tank yet but from what I've gathered:

Cons:
Very expensive - more than an ARB 12V pump
Refilling the tank costs $25 or so each time and can be time consuming
when its out- its out
heavy and bulky
the Co2 tank needs to be tested and certified every 5 years

Pros:
airs up really fast
has enough "umph" to seat tire beads
can run air tools
the upgraded regulator can also be used to air up N2 shocks if you have the N2 tank

Reactions: p38

p38

Caught the Bug
For the valves:

Cons:
Expensive
had to drill and tap wheels

Pros:
Even without the powertank the tire does air up significantly faster from my garage air compressor
Airs down very fast
can set a gauge on the other stem while airing up or down to monitor progress

No real world experience with the tank yet but from what I've gathered:

Cons:
Very expensive - more than an ARB 12V pump
Refilling the tank costs $25 or so each time and can be time consuming
when its out- its out
heavy and bulky
the Co2 tank needs to be tested and certified every 5 years

Pros:
airs up really fast
has enough "umph" to seat tire beads
can run air tools
the upgraded regulator can also be used to air up N2 shocks if you have the N2 tank
Thanks. I like the idea of airing down quicker then with standard valves. The tank is the main drawback for me, but I've got an on board air system with an engine driven pump. I'll look into them further - thank you.

Top Bottom