AIRBNB Questions (MOAB)

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Anyone on here familiar with short term rentals that can comment on my situation?

I've searched Google, looked through the AIRBNB website, and called AIRBNB customer service and was left without an answer, (or at least they wouldn't tell me.)

I wasn't going to go to EJS this year because I personally think the rates have gotten out of hand. Most of my group is out dawn to dusk and just need a place to clean up and sleep. I know there's an argument of supply/demand that could apply, but at some point the lack of "value" will detour regulars from going during EJS year after year.

15 January - While looking to book a place after EJS I stumbled upon a new listing that was available during EJS too low to pass up. Pretty much too low to be true, but I did my due-diligence messaging the host and doing some background checks confirming it's legit, so I booked it.

10 days later the host contacts me through AIRBNB to say they were new to the site and they didn't know the time I booked was the biggest week of the year for short-term rentals and everyone else charges $500+ per day for her area. She wanted to increase my rate to at least $450/night, or would be canceling my reservation.

I agreed to negotiate my total from $2000 to $4000. (8 nights). - I did contact AIRBNB first and was told this happens. Any repercussions are between the host and AIRBNB. I just get my money refunded and have to go find somewhere else to stay.

The actual total after all the fees and tax at $450 a night would be $5000. So she isn't getting everything she asked for.

The issue is there's this awkward feeling in the air of unanswered questions.
  • Can a host do this to an "approved, and paid in full reservation?"
  • WHAT IF they come at me again and threaten a cancelation if I don't pay another $500 or $1000?
  • Why aren't they more concerned about the terms of their refund policy: I can cancel up to 24hrs before check-in for a full refund?

JimLee

Hooked
What would worry me is if they can cancel on you at any time, what if someone contacts them the day before you arrive and "outbids" you, Could they just leave you out in the cold?

TrailHunter

Hooked
We got canceled in big bear one time... a few weeks after it was booked... I cant remember the reason. It seems very unethical that they could raise your price like that AFTER it was booked. I believe you would have to accept the increase... and if you deny it.. they have to honor the original booking. I could be wrong though.

trailraider

This certainly sucks. I don't use AIRBNB so I have no experience with them personally. I use VRBO.
I would think they should have to honor the rate you originally booked, it's not your fault they didn't do their research.
if it was my place and I made that mistake , I would suck it up for this year and make sure I didn't make the same mistake next year.
What is AIRBNB's refund policy with the 24 hr notice? is it 100%?

TonyT

Caught the Bug
We got canceled in big bear one time... a few weeks after it was booked... I cant remember the reason. It seems very unethical that they could raise your price like that AFTER it was booked. I believe you would have to accept the increase... and if you deny it.. they have to honor the original booking. I could be wrong though.
Exactly, but I called customer service prior to responding and they said the hosts can cancel, any penalties are between them and AIRBNB. However, they wouldn't tell me what those penalties are. I mean, if the penalty is that they can't rebook anyone else for more than mine, that's a huge benefit to me in negotiating. Also, a YouTube video on cancelations said hosts can cancel up to 3 reservations in a 12 month period without penalty.

This certainly sucks. I don't use AIRBNB so I have no experience with them personally. I use VRBO.
I would think they should have to honor the rate you originally booked, it's not your fault they didn't do their research.
if it was my place and I made that mistake , I would suck it up for this year and make sure I didn't make the same mistake next year.
What is AIRBNB's refund policy with the 24 hr notice? is it 100%?
I worry they'll just sneak it onto another short-term rental site, or a local agent, and cancel me anyway. Which im sure they'd like to do. Some of the other surrounding 3 bdr condos are still in the $700's right now.

Yes, the cancelation policy is what I think is Airbnb's most relaxed policy. Says I can even cancel on the day of check-in and I just lose my first night and service fee.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.07.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.07.15 PM.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 8

WJCO

Meme King
That's why I will never use Airbnb again, had one booked in Colorado and they cancelled on us the day of our arrival.

Airbnb didn't do shit to help out.
That's major fucked up. I'd be pissed. I've only used airbnb once and had a great experience. We even had to extend our stay while we were there and it was easy.

Sounds like others haven't been so lucky.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't going to go to EJS this year because I personally think the rates have gotten out of hand. Most of my group is out dawn to dusk and just need a place to clean up and sleep. I know there's an argument of supply/demand that could apply, but at some point the lack of "value" will detour regulars from going during EJS year after year.
You can thank VBRO for that. EVERYTHING went through the roof after they came in. The shit show stopped us from going to EJS the last couple of years, first time in forever but I gotta tell you, I don't miss it.

TrailHunter

Hooked
That's major fucked up. I'd be pissed. I've only used airbnb once and had a great experience. We even had to extend our stay while we were there and it was easy.

Sounds like others haven't been so lucky.
We’ve had some great experiences as well... very easy and nice places for good prices. Seems like Its the holiday or event weekends where things get fucked.

jeeeep

Hooked
You can thank VBRO for that. EVERYTHING went through the roof after they came in. The shit show stopped us from going to EJS the last couple of years, first time in forever but I gotta tell you, I don't miss it.
I agree, with all the hotels, private rentals, campsites etc... you would think the prices would be more competitive.

passing on EJS this year, same hotel is now close to $1000 more than last year for the same number of nights.

it's a shame, but Moab is outpricing itself

trailraider

I agree, with all the hotels, private rentals, campsites etc... you would think the prices would be more competitive.

passing on EJS this year, same hotel is now close to $1000 more than last year for the same number of nights.

Gotta get it while the iron is hot I guess. I imagine this is the make or break week for the entire town. and with the last couple years being a shitty for the tourism industry, they are probably overcompensating for it.

Lperdue

To be honest I'd rather save the 1000 bucks and put it towards a good roof top tent than give it to them. I feel like that would have better long term value.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Thats exactly how I feel about the whole thing. I've got a month off of work around that time, and I was just going to book the week afterward. However, this listing didn't hike their price during the event so I jumped in.

We use VRBO as they have always been easy to work with. I will say the prices this year are INSANE averaging $500 a night for a 3 bedroom condo (usually around $300). I almost past up going because of this but after two years of not going, I didn't mind and splitting the cost with friends really helps. It is a very busy week but still a great time.

TrailHunter

Hooked
We use VRBO as they have always been easy to work with. I will say the prices this year are INSANE averaging $500 a night for a 3 bedroom condo (usually around $300). I almost past up going because of this but after two years of not going, I didn't mind and splitting the cost with friends really helps. It is a very busy week but still a great time.
Are you checking out Saturday or Sunday?

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Thanks for chiming in everyone. I'm going to hang onto the reservation. In comparison, at $400/night I'd be foolish not to take advantage of it. If something does come along that I would rather go do, I can cancel last minute for a full refund, likely resulting in them missing out on the biggest week of the year. To me that is a lot more satisfying than just telling them off in a message.

Top Bottom