AEV Procal Increased Idle

Jsouder53

Hooked
Has anyone else had issues with the increased idle feature on their AEV Procal? I tried messing around with it a while ago after winching a Tundra out of a ditch and my battery light started coming on and my winch started getting sluggish.

I followed the instructions step by step and it still didn’t work for me, maybe I just need to give it another shot.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I never have had to use that feature. Are you sure your battery is not on its last legs?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Should be winching off the alternator not the battery. Which I think that’s what he meant he was trying to do was enter the high idle feature so he didn’t have to hold his foot on the gas while he winched. What’s the dance you’re supposed to do to enter the feature for procal?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Jsouder53

Hooked
Should be winching off the alternator not the battery. Which I think that’s what he meant he was trying to do was enter the high idle feature so he didn’t have to hold his foot on the gas while he winched. What’s the dance you’re supposed to do to enter the feature for procal?

I probably should’ve had my foot on the gas, but I didn’t.

The dance is:
-Set the dip switches
-set the parking brake
-start the engine
-insert Procal
-use the dimmer switch to set engine rpm

Colorado4x4

I can’t get mine to work. Kind of pisses me off. I’ve done some looking in the past and lots of people have the same issue.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Agree on the alternator too. I was thinking the battery could be causing a sink on the system, but if the alternator is not pushing enough load, it could be that too. I’d be more concerned about the load drop than the AEV procal issue. My 12k has been put under a ton of load for long pulls and I have never needed to put my foot on the accelerator to keep it functioning or not to have a light. Don’t know how much of an affect it has on your situation, but my ground has become corroded on the bottom of the winch causing it work intermittently. You may check that too.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Jsouder53

Hooked
I can’t get mine to work. Kind of pisses me off. I’ve done some looking in the past and lots of people have the same issue.

At least I’m not the only one

Agree on the alternator too. I was thinking the battery could be causing a sink on the system, but if the alternator is not pushing enough load, it could be that too. I’d be more concerned about the load drop than the AEV procal issue. My 12k has been put under a ton of load for long pulls and I have never needed to put my foot on the accelerator to keep it functioning or not to have a light. Don’t know how much of an affect it has on your situation, but my ground has become corroded on the bottom of the winch causing it work intermittently. You may check that too.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I’ll check into that, what kind of battery do you run?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

If it’s an old enough battery, already assuming it’s a standard not a deep cycle, it could easily dip that far with just idling after a pull. It only takes the voltage to drop for a second to trigger the warning light. And the initial start up load on winches is pretty high, especially if you’re pulling near capacity and don’t have as big of a winch or much cable off the drum.

Better take a wire brush to your connections and dielectric grease them before it leaves you in a mud hole.

wjtstudios

Hooked
^^very true.

It’s always at the wrong time when you find out your winch is working

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Jsouder53

Hooked
Finally got to messing around with the increased idle once again, it works if you follow the instructions [emoji106]

Top Bottom