A new eruption just started here in Hawaii

jesse3638

Hooked
Technically, yes but that area is still considered a “disaster” zone and within the mandatory evacuation area even though the eruptions has stopped. It’s just another ploy for the local government to control people. I completely agree with you though. They could just post up signs saying “hazardous area. Enter at your own risk. No emergency services beyond this point” kinda thing. If people don’t know what the hazards are then they don’t belong there anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
That was my thought exactly. I didn't realize it was within the evacuation zone. Didn't they just lift or at least change the mandatory evacuation area?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
On Oahu, there was a nice short hike that would end in a nice pool and waterfall to swim in. There were small posted signs that would warn hikers of the inherent dangers involved, but everyone ignored them. Then one day after a lot of rain softened the hillsides along the trail to the waterfall, a bunch of rocks rolled down and killed a tourist hiking to the falls...the family sued the state of Hawaii...and prevailed in a multi million dollar lawsuit...

Sacred Falls is still closed to the public to this day...
The family was probably from CA..:crazyeyes:

I can understand going after a drunk driver or someone who knowingly does something which could hurt others but a natural occurring incident like that is a bit much. It's not like the state did lured people out there then kicked them into a volcano for sacrifice. "Act of God" new gorilla glass windshields wouldn't be covered either..;)

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
That was my thought exactly. I didn't realize it was within the evacuation zone. Didn't they just lift or at least change the mandatory evacuation area?

They changed it so that residents with homes in Leilani estates can go back if they choose. However, the coast is still within the restricted area. They should just lift all restrictions and post the signs up. There’s nothing going on eruption-wise right now.

Did Big Island get much rain/wind from Olivia?

I’m on the east side of the island which usually gets slammed but we haven’t gotten anything out of the ordinary. Maui is getting a lot of rain and some wind. I’m sure the north side/Kohala is getting a lot too but I’m not sure. Haven’t watched the news lately.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
This flip side of all this is that if I saw a sign posted and locals going in there, there’s no way I would turn around after flying thousands of miles and spending thousands of dollars to get there if I was visiting.

Brute

Hooked
I remember over 30 years ago hiking near Kilauea to get a better view into the crater...my stepbrother was with us, as well as his children...I proceeded to charge up the lip with his kids in tow...he refused to go, yelling to us " if you do that, it will be sure death"...

His nickname to this day is Sure Death...I've bought shirts and hats for his birthday and Christmas with his nickname on it...

jesse3638

Hooked
I remember over 30 years ago hiking near Kilauea to get a better view into the crater...my stepbrother was with us, as well as his children...I proceeded to charge up the lip with his kids in tow...he refused to go, yelling to us " if you do that, it will be sure death"...

His nickname to this day is Sure Death...I've bought shirts and hats for his birthday and Christmas with his nickname on it...

That's funny sounds like my wife anytime there is something that can hurt any of the kids. The grand canyon earlier this year was fun...haha.

Jsouder53

Hooked

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
That is a very interesting write up! You had me worried for a moment when I saw this thread pop back up, thought something might be happening again [emoji51]

Lol. Nothing happening yet, but it will start up again. It’s just a matter of when and where. The collapsed caldera is also filling with water since the hole is now below the water table. This is also concerning because of magma re-enters the caldera or something cracks and the water drains into the magma chamber, it’ll be like a Hawaiian St. Helens. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Here we go! Volcano is waking up again.

IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg

Edit: here’s a pic my dad just took from the overlook area.

IMG_1074.JPG
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Top Bottom