6.4-liter V-8 JL Wrangler Rubicon 392 - How much would you be willing to spend?

jdofmemi

You cannot compare aftermarket and oem. For an oem to develop an all new set of "Dana 60s", tool them up, validate them, etc is tens of millions of dollars. Now take that cost and divide by low volume and it would be extremely expensive. Plus for regs you end up with narrow 60s that wouldnt fit large tires (40s etc) without big backspacing, crappy scrub, etc due to fender laws, impact height, etc etc. Oem world is an entirely different animal. It is cheaper to buy a brand new set of crate axles and sell the stock ones than it would be to have the oem folks try and put them in. The costs are insane.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good point.

I obviously wasn't thinking about it like that.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
You cannot compare aftermarket and oem. For an oem to develop an all new set of "Dana 60s", tool them up, validate them, etc is tens of millions of dollars. Now take that cost and divide by low volume and it would be extremely expensive. Plus for regs you end up with narrow 60s that wouldnt fit large tires (40s etc) without big backspacing, crappy scrub, etc due to fender laws, impact height, etc etc. Oem world is an entirely different animal. It is cheaper to buy a brand new set of crate axles and sell the stock ones than it would be to have the oem folks try and put them in. The costs are insane.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app
I always really enjoy it when you post and give us the OEM perspective. Thanks for the explanation [emoji106]

A.J.

If it had one ton axles wouldn’t it have to be one ton rated for towing. 🤷*♂️ That’s a whole pile of safety safari issues. Just plop a JT body on a Ram 3500. Those stiff springs should ride nice on the rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

If it had one ton axles wouldn’t it have to be one ton rated for towing. 🤷*♂️ That’s a whole pile of safety safari issues. Just plop a JT body on a Ram 3500. Those stiff springs should ride nice on the rocks.

That's not a terrible idea AJ.

Get a wrecked 2500 with a 6.4 hemi and pull the body. There is the whole drivetrain, complete with computers. Put long arms and coil overs on it, then shorten it to fit, and mount the JK body.

I'm sure there would be a ton of things to work out, but...a smart guy could make it work on the cheap, relatively speaking.

J&k_Overland

They did this for the Ultimate Adventure a few years back. Think Fred Williams owns it now. Cummins turbo diesel and all. Lot of work but it came out super nice.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I’ll find out over the next couple months as we build one. A friend of mines is built and shipped. He’s hopeful that it will be at the dealership next week. The plan is a small spacer lift and 37s with the rubicon flares. The list on it was $77 with the power top and pretty well loaded. As soon as he has it, he’s bringing it here for a test run, I’ll post up what we find out.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Looking forward to your update!

If I could guess, it'll most likely have power pulled out of it in specific situations that would otherwise destroy the drive train. They've done something similar on the diesel but in regards to towing and to prevent overheating. So, I'll bet it could handle 37's. That being said, it would have been nicer if they just beefed the the axles and drive shafts but of course, that would have made the 392 a six figure Wrangler.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. If these need new axles to make them competitive offroad I'll just build up what I got. If not I can see a trade in my future. Cheers.

wjtstudios

Hooked
It has arrived at the dealership

IMG_5584.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg

IMG_5580.jpg

IMG_5579.jpg

Unfortunately he can’t take ownership until Monday and I’m leaving for Florida in the morning so I won’t get to drive it until after Easter. Ugh.... priorities.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

trailraider

nice .

these are going to be just north of $100 G here in Canada and our dealer can't even order them yet. frustrating to say the least.

Top Bottom