4xe stuck in FORM

ChrisKeepsMoving

My wife bought a Rubicon 4xe a week ago and brought it home super excited. The 1 1/2 hour trip home, she drove in hybrid mode and then on Tuesday she just did a quick 6 mile trip in all electric. Ever since, she has been stuck in FORM and is getting very frustrated with it. We have driven it on some longer drives (up to around 45 minutes a few times), gotten the oil temperature up over 192 degrees, and even added over 4 gallons of gas.

It is a bummer that something like FORM puts a damper on this fun new purchase. Has anyone here had issues getting stuck in FORM? How did you get out? So far the dealership has been less than helpful.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't own a 4Xe but I do have friends with one and I have heard them having this issue before. I have you talked with your dealership about it? Be good to start a paper trail if it becomes a real problem.

ChrisKeepsMoving

She has been texting with the saleswoman who defers to another guy at the dealership that drives one. In all my reading, just letting it idle can bring the temp up high enough to "burn" the gas out of the oil. I'm not seeing that result for hers. I have also seen reports of faulty oil pan heaters. It's 60 degrees here in Michigan. Shouldn't be too cold for it for the oil. Running at idle, the gauge shows it well over the 192 degrees that is supposed to be needed.

I am trying the idle at temperature thing to see if that works. Burning gas to save gas... I really don't want to do an oil change on a vehicle with less than 300 miles on it.

jeeeep

Hooked
She has been texting with the saleswoman who defers to another guy at the dealership that drives one. In all my reading, just letting it idle can bring the temp up high enough to "burn" the gas out of the oil. I'm not seeing that result for hers. I have also seen reports of faulty oil pan heaters. It's 60 degrees here in Michigan. Shouldn't be too cold for it for the oil. Running at idle, the gauge shows it well over the 192 degrees that is supposed to be needed.

I am trying the idle at temperature thing to see if that works. Burning gas to save gas... I really don't want to do an oil change on a vehicle with less than 300 miles on it.
I'd go above the saleswoman and go direct to the GM and service manager if it's a Jeep dealership.
IMO the saleswoman should have had the conversation with the GM or service manager and if they were really good, scheduled a time slot for you with the service department.

Since the purpose of FORM is to eliminate moisture for fuel that when is senses less than 4 gals have been used in 90 days, I wonder if this would be an issue if it used non-ethanol fuel or if it's triggered by the 4 gal fill regardless of moisture.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't stress about it, beyond reading the Owners Manual I wouldn't spend too much time thinking something is wrong.

Dealership Sales and Service departments are there to do exactly that. Sell product, and Maintenance and Repair. It's uncommon they have enough seat time to know the ins and outs of how to use these new systems outside what they read in a flyer or brochure. Sure, you can drop it off and they'll look into it. Maybe they'll drive it around the block a few times, or refresh the software, but I doubt there's anything that would come of it, and you'll be right back where you're at only now inconvenienced by being without your new Jeep for a few days.

I've never heard of FORM until this post... Quick search on YouTube shows all sorts of complaints about it and the mystery behind what initiates the process. Makes me want a 4xe even less.

Just enjoy it. Welcome to Jeep ownership. It is never going to be perfect, but damn it's a ton of fun, so long as you don't sweat the small stuff.

AZDIESELPIG

I would create a paper trail at the dealer NOW - even if this means taking in to the service department to have them trouble shoot why the FORM mode is not going away - it should resolve on its own. Even if the dealer comes back with "working as designed" at least you have a record of it being reported.

JessL

Caught the Bug
Make a service appointment and take it in. Whenever in doubt, take it in. (while under warranty)

Your paper trail is your proof. I had situations with brand-new range rovers where one got lemoned and the other owner struggled till he gave up and traded it in. Documentation is always the key between the two scenarios.

God forbid you have a lemon-type issue, but you have to make the service appointments and start the paper trail.

Top Bottom