410 vs 456 with 35"s

jal

Hey all-
If I put 35's on a JLR and don't re-gear, how much will the trans hunt gears on the highway?
Is the difference not that much going from stock 33's to 35's?

When I built the 2015 JKU and went to 35's I installed 356 gears- but trans are better now and more gears

thoughts?
Exepriences?

thanks in advance

jal

Awesome that's what I was thinking ( hoping)
I know when we did the JKU I asked should we go with 410vs456 and we went with 456 because why not at that point
Thanks Eddie

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome that's what I was thinking ( hoping)
I know when we did the JKU I asked should we go with 410vs456 and we went with 456 because why not at that point
Thanks Eddie
The all new 8-speed automatic on the JL is a HUGE improvement over what the JK came with. I've run 37's with 4.10s and thought it was acceptable.

jal

The all new 8-speed automatic on the JL is a HUGE improvement over what the JK came with. I've run 37's with 4.10s and thought it was acceptable.
good to know-
I guess it wouldn't hurt to run wheel spacers as well?

CalSgt

Hooked
Me too, I put about 20K on the stock 4.10:1 gears with 37's and was happy, it had good manners, accelerated well, and had acceptable gas mileage. I did end up re-gearing to 4.88:1 which added a bit of bottom end pep and made high range in 4wd a lot more useable on the trail, I probably would not have regeared if I would have had to pay someone else to do it. I did the work myself and did both axles for well under 1K bucks.

Reactions: jal

CalSgt

Hooked
with 35's and 410 will the trans hit 8th gear on the highway?
Not sure... with 37's at high speed with a tailwind or downhill I would see 8th every now and then.

The taller tires are effectively decreasing your final drive ratio (numerically lower), so even if you don't see double overdrive 8th gear as often you are still operating at a similar rpm on the highway. What you actually lose is the bottom end power of first gear, but with the super low 4.71:1 first gear in the 8 speed its very manageable in a JL.

Top Bottom