3.8 internal (engine/intake) coolant level

Hendu3270

Under normal conditions...thermostat opens and allows the interchange of water. When it closes...where is the coolant level? Or is there no air on the intake side of the thermostat? I'm trying to determine if the water channels in the intake manifold would be full of water when removed or if there is air in the system leaving them clear. Seems like air would keep the system from working.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Under normal conditions...thermostat opens and allows the interchange of water. When it closes...where is the coolant level? Or is there no air on the intake side of the thermostat? I'm trying to determine if the water channels in the intake manifold would be full of water when removed or if there is air in the system leaving them clear. Seems like air would keep the system from working.
It’s supposed to be a “sealed”system with no air in it. If there is air in your system then you have a crack somewhere allowing it to enter.

when setting your coolant level always get it with the engine stone cold. Take the rad cap off and fill it. Then add coolant to your overflow.

CalSgt

Hooked
Some vehicles are famous for being difficult to purge air from the system, but most have a bleeder screw somewhere to get it done

If there is air on the thermostat it won’t open, it needs hot water for it to work properly

jeeeep

Hooked
if you elevate the front end by a few inches it will help get the air out.

I'll elevate and use the Lisle spill free funnel when I do an antifreeze flush.

Top Bottom